iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Weather Layering. Clothing...

Started by brendonv, November 06, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Im looking to invest in some quality clothing for winter this year. Wool, etc.

Last year i had a good set of thermal underwear made by ice breakers. The were a wool/poly mix i Believe.  Id follow up on my legs with my pfanner saw pants. Basically wore those all winter.

Top layer was followed up by a long sleeve T over my thermals, then a wool/mix pullover, and a double thick cotton hoodie.

How do you layer up for winter? 
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

drobertson

the new thin stuff on the market is good, just costly, I layer with loose clothing, the old fashion way,  for me it seems staying dry as much as the type of layers.  Now major hiking or exertion brings another aspect into the wicking away the sweat, not much into the exertion anymore.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

millwright

The new high tech stuff is great for warmth and lightness, but when I'm running the skidder or the mill I prefer old school wool.

Roxie

This topic can become quite upsetting.  Please, please, do not ask SwampDonkey about his underwear.   :D
Say when

Jeff

I know that everyone at logrite swear by arborwear. Maybe give them a call and tall to Bill.  Tell him the Forestry Forum sent you and what you are thinking.  It might be a win win for everyone! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

I spend almost all my time outdoors in the winter doing sweat provoking things. Fleece has been great. Wicks away moisture and dries fast. Sometimes I have 3 layers of fleece on but 98% of the time, my next-to-skin layer is fleece.
Would be interested in trying newer fabrics but can't afford $200 a piece long underwear !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The bad thing about winters in the Carolinas is we could start out at 19° and by the afternoon its in the low 40's.
We spend all day changing costumes.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

I'm still running shorts in NH right now .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

Quote from: Roxie on November 07, 2015, 10:56:48 AM
This topic can become quite upsetting.  Please, please, do not ask SwampDonkey about his underwear.   :D
Far too much information. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

brendonv

Quote from: Jeff on November 07, 2015, 11:03:58 AM
I know that everyone at logrite swear by arborwear. Maybe give them a call and tall to Bill.  Tell him the Forestry Forum sent you and what you are thinking.  It might be a win win for everyone! :)

Ive actually have a corporate account with arborwear. Heavy discounts. I have some of their stuff. I havent bought any lately as it took the wind out of my sails after reading the tag of where its made.  Although everythings stamped china now anyways n
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

curdog

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 07, 2015, 11:30:45 AM
The bad thing about winters in the Carolinas is we could start out at 19° and by the afternoon its in the low 40's.
We spend all day changing costumes.  :)
I know what you mean, some of the real cold mornings I have to put on socks with my crocs, then it warms up and I have to take the socks off.  Carolina winters are rough  ;D :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

When I was a kid I was invincible in the cold. Now, I prefer to wear a heated shop with at least an R38 ceiling and a nice concrete floor.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2015, 05:03:57 PM
When I was a kid I was invincible in the cold. Now, I prefer to wear a heated shop with at least an R38 ceiling and a nice concrete floor.
X2 on that Dave or hanging my arm out the plow truck window
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodmills1

Check out Redwing wool socks.......... cure for the stinky and cold feet.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don_Papenburg

Wool sox are not just for winter any more  I wear mine year a round .  My feet like them better than cotton.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

47sawdust

For milder weather I like coveralls over street clothes.Take them off as it warms up and keeps my clothes clean.I have 3 pair in various states of wear.For colder weather, when I'm active,Cabelas insulated bibs,not active insulated coveralls.
For me wind is the deal breaker.If it's blowin' I'm goin',as it in back to the house or shop.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Tam-i-am

I'm with Don and Woodmills- there is nothing better than wool socks even in summer time as they wick better! 

Jeff is right we wear a lot of arborwear(yes the made in china saddens me), we wear their double thick sweat shirts.  As it gets colder in the year we just put layers underneath.

My favorite thing for extreme cold is silk long underwear by LL Bean (shirt, pants and socks).  Very warm and light enough to fit under everything.
I learned about these when I was a teacher and had to look good and stand outside for recess duty.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

dgdrls

Under Armour Coldgear, 
wool socks,
good Toque,
neck Gaiter.
Then adjust as needed
with Duck type Coat &
Hoodie.

Dan

brianJ

Normal street clothes under insuated coveralls.    Gets colder and windier.   Then heavy street clothes under insulated coveralls.   More cold still   Put  a hoodie over everything with one or two knitted hats and T shirt under.  Thats all I ever need  Its only NY so doesnt get extremely cold.

There is no need to spend a lot of money on anything special. 

thecfarm

Nothing fancy here,t shirt,long johns,2 big sweat shirts. I do mean big too, 2x or 3x. I wear a extra large for going out on the town. When I bend over,I don't want my back sticking out in the cold.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

azmtnman

Quote from: brianJ on November 12, 2015, 05:19:41 PM
There is no need to spend a lot of money on anything special.
x2. But I stay away from anything cotton if it touches my skin. If it gets wet (sweat or weather) it will freeze you. Wool and poly-whatever without any cotton blend keeps its insulating properties if it gets moist. That can save your life.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

SwampDonkey

Been using my Stanfield's (Canada made) upper wool/nylon mix undershirt over cotton t-shirt and cotton work shirt. Getting down to 30 in the mornings now. I pull on the Stanfield leg'ns when she dips below 10F. ;D You can't wear the stuff out, where as you'll be buying and spending a lot more money on some of that other stuff. ;D Some folks can't stand wool, but I can't live without it. Also, WigWam (US made) wool socks year around.  Can't beat wool no matter how hard they try.  I'm pretty proud of my wool underwear. 8)  ;D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Say when

Jeff

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

BradMarks

Being allergic to any clothing with poly/neo in it, or wool that touches the skin, it's basically cotton with me. So it comes down to the weave in the cotton garment. The equation is: tighter the weave, more warmth, more money. Two-layered thermals, flannel lined jeans, cotton shirts and sweatshirts. Wool socks over cotton ok.  Twice I've tried to wear neoprene booties when river fishing and my feet, ankles and lower leg looked like I had measles when I took them off :o

beenthere

The best IMO is silk layer first and wool over that.  Maybe a nylon windbreaker over the wool.. but optional... saves tearing up the wool shirt on brush and briars.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Silk is better than cotton by far.  8)

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Maybe there's worms in the cotton.  ;D :D

Gary_C

Under Armour is ridiculously expensive but but it keeps me warm plus dry all winter.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Papa1stuff

The very best way to stay warm is to move to sunny Florida,
By the traffic ,I think most already have!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

SwampDonkey

That's why we have wool underwear, to stay up here.  8) :D

thecfarm

I would not mine seeing one way tracffic from Maine to FL.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BradMarks

Thinking about it more, the best layering out here is the raingear ;D. Shaping up to be a wet winter scuba-smiley

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 18, 2015, 06:20:58 PM
The wool itch drives me crazy....

My uncle couldn't wear wool. But it's never bothered me at all. Two wool blankets on the bed and another on the seat of the truck.  ;D

gspren

Back in the early 70s when I was in the Navy our winter blue uniform was a tight weave of wool that didn't bother me but some of the guys had to get thin liners sewed in to keep the wool off their skin. Those Navy Pea Coats were really nice but mine shrunk too much. ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

I bought another layer today.  I was in Academy Sports and a nice lightweight camo jacket "needed" me.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!