iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pitch pockets in cherry

Started by hackberry jake, November 06, 2015, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

If all my lumber looked like this, I'd be rich!

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I love to see them.  :)

Sawed on a circle mill eh??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

I would think they are mineral streaks... that fall into a class of "no defect" or admitted in clear cuttings for grading purposes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Pretty cherry.  Even better considering what you paid for it, if I remember an earlier post correctly.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ron Wenrich

They're not mineral streaks.  They're caused by peach borers.  It also looks like sweet cherry, to me.  My understanding is that they sometimes open up when they're dried and machined. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 03:05:42 PM
I love to see them.  :)

Sawed on a circle mill eh??
I feel like I'm being judged... It's a lot easier on my back when I buy lumber  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lumber Grader

These "streaks" in Cherry are most commonly called gum pockets or gum streaks.  In the NHLA rule book page 25, states that all cherry is graded standard NHLA (National Hardwood Lumber Association) Rules, with the exception in Cherry being, as stated in the NHLA Rulebook: "Small knots not exceeding 1/8" in diameter shall be admitted in the cuttings. Gum streaks and spots are admitted without limit."

I graded lumber for over 10 years and worked as a "National Man" for the NHLA for about 2 years. Professional hardwood lumber inspectors commonly refer to what you see in the photos as streaks and gum pockets and they do not lower the grade of the board if it is cherry by the NHLA rules.

P.S. In most species you are allowed a certain amount of mineral and then it will drop the board one grade if the mineral exceeds that limited amount.

I hope this has been helpful, but after all is said and done, with most small mills what really matters the most is "What The Customer WANTS"!!!

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 07, 2015, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 03:05:42 PMSawed on a circle mill eh??
I feel like I'm being judged...
No not judgmental at all.  I sometimes wish that I could put those circle marks on my bandsawed lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Beautiful Cherry! Good information Ron Wenrich and Lumber Grader.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Kingmt

I got my first customer today & it was cutting the first cherry logs I've cut. There purddy. 😉
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!