iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memory Loss

Started by Magicman, November 06, 2015, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have heard the old adage about "older and wiser" but so far I have only gotten older.

I started walking out to my shop and forgot why I was going.  I stopped and then noticing that my neighbor was watching me so I started looking up in the trees.  I turned around and came back to the house leaving my neighbor looking up in the trees.  I got into the house and then wondered what I came here for so I went and sat in my recliner.  As soon as my butt hit the seat I immediately remembered why I was going to the shop.

I guess this proves that the only thing that my mind listens to is my butt.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

No problem, you remembered where your recliner was :D.  And you have certainly remembered how to be a kind and charitable gentleman.  Wish I could see the smiles of your upcoming sawing road trip. Please take pics.

beenthere

MM
Thanks for the insight.. same recall that I have, and same method but just never identified where it was coming from.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Grizzly

So long as I'm married I'll have a memory! She goes with me ya know.   ;)

Just a small sidetrack. How come she knows when my butt hits the chair? She immediately has some cause that needs me out of the chair. And just when it gets comfy too!   :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

red

Google.  . Why did I come in here? Explanation for such memory lapses.  The doorway is to blame.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

They tell me the memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first one was.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Quote from: red on November 06, 2015, 02:30:17 PM
Google.  . Why did I come in here? Explanation for such memory lapses.  The doorway is to blame.

Very neat.  Who'd have thunk?  It's funny, I just mentioned in another thread about how bad my memory has gotten in my old age.
Boy, back in my day..

gspren

My dad had a hat that said "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" I might have it but can't remember where.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

Quote from: Grizzly on November 06, 2015, 01:10:03 PM
So long as I'm married I'll have a memory! She goes with me ya know.   ;)

Just a small sidetrack. How come she knows when my butt hits the chair? She immediately has some cause that needs me out of the chair. And just when it gets comfy too!   :D
Yeah. Same here. :-\ The moment I am in the shop and my hands are filthy she comes to the door needing something done in the house.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

That ain't memory.  That is obedience.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

I forgot all about this.?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Outer Rondacker

MM I suffer from a common form of CRS. Cant remember hummm I forgot the rest.

Roxie

This doorway thing actually works!  For those that haven't read the article about doorway memory loss, in a nutshell, your mind prepares itself for a new experience each time you go through a doorway.  Ergo, you forget why you walked from the living room into the kitchen, or in Magic's case, why you walked outside (which was a very funny story, by the way). 

To counteract the mind clearing effect of the doorway, if you repeat to yourself what you want to do or retrieve, as you walk through each doorway, the purpose stays with you.  So, for example, I now get up from the computer and say, "mail the letter," go through the doorway into the dining room, and say "mail the letter," go into the kitchen and say, "mail the letter," go into the breakfast room and say, "mail the letter," grab said letter and as I walk out the front door, say "mail the letter."   :D

Say when

IndianaJoe

I forgot why I started reading this thread :D :D :D :D

Brucer

Grandson: Mom, why is Grandpa always saying stuff when he's by himself?

Daughter: Oh, he's just talking to himself so he won't forget what he's supposed to be doing. He's always done it, even when I was a little girl.

Grandson: Does he ever listen to himself?

Daughter: No.

;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

I lost some weight and got off of medications and it's helped a lot.  Statins turn me into a zombie.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 11:02:47 AM
I have heard the old adage about "older and wiser" but so far I have only gotten older.

I started walking out to my shop and forgot why I was going.  I stopped and noticing that my neighbor was watching me, I started looking up in the trees.  I turned around and came back to the house leaving my neighbor looking up in the trees.  I got into the house and then wondered what I came here for so I went and sat in my recliner.  As soon as my butt hit the seat I immediately remembered why I was going to the shop.

I guess this proves that the only thing that my mind listens to is my butt.   ::)

I know the feeling, but will admit You just made me laugh with this one, not at you, but the part of the mind listens to the butt :D :D :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

I think I'm getting really old really quick. Or tired. or something. On the way up to the cabin Sunday I stopped at Subway to get some lunch. Grabbed a chicken sandwich and a cookie and ate on the road. By the time I got to M-48, I was in desperate need of a bathroom. A bathroom with supplies. Like paper supplies. I figured, drive fast and get to the cabin, and head for the outhouse without bothering to announce your arrival or your going to have an arrival announcement that won't soon be forgotten.

The cabin is about 2 miles off of M-48, not that far, My property, is only a mile off of M-48. It was very apparent to the guy driving, Me, that I was going to have to stop there. I have an outhouse after all, perfect for my situation. Luckily the lake effect snow I had driven in most of the day had not hit the southern edge of the eastern U.P. and the roads were dry. When I got to my driveway, I made a sliding turn off the pavement,  barreled down into the driveway, and skidded to a stop as close as I could get to the outhouse, still a good 30 yards away. I got out of the truck and thought to myself, look in the back of the truck and grab a roll of paper meant for the cabin just in case there isn't any in your outhouse. The guy driving said, "forget that!" put your knees together and get to the crapper! FAST!

Well, the good news is, everything went well. There was paper in there and everything. So, with that near disaster averted, since i was already here on my land, I figured I'd walk out and get my trail camera to check out once back at the cabin to see if I had any deer activity recorded on it. On the way back to the shooting lane where the camera was placed, I found the pop up blind I put up had popped back down due to the snowfall experienced here the day before. I fixed that by crawling inside it and knocking the snow off and popping the roof back up, then walked on down the shooting lane and retrieved my camera. I saw that there indeed had been lots of deer sign, making me anxious to seeing what was on that SD card.

Later that day, after getting unpacked and settled into the cabin, I checked out the camera and was pleased to find lots of deer pictures as well as some Turkeys. Best of all, there was a legal buck on there,. Not big, just a spike, but legal to shoot. MEAT!
Yesterday, I decided to get the camera back out and hunt down there. Since I had noticed that time and date were all wrong I sat down at the cabin table and reprogrammed the camera, got my hunting cloths and gun rounded up and headed out to the truck and down to my property. I got out, got dressed, loaded my gun. DANG! Forgot the camera. So unload the gun, drive back to the cabin to get the camera. When I drove in, my understanding sister was on the porch with a questioning look on her face. As I pulled to a stop, I gave the universal sign language for camera, and she began laughing, She went into the cabin and grabbed it for me, meeting me at the bottom of the cabin steps.

So, back to truck, back to my property, load the gun, grab the camera, head down the trail to where I was hunting. I walked down the trail and leaned my gun against a tree and proceeded to strap the camera to an appropriately sized and located tree a few feet away. NOW! time to get back to the blind and get settled in for the rest of the afternoon, hoping to see some deer. I walked the 60 yards back down the trail and unzipped the previously popped back up pop up blind door, entered and sat down to begin my afternoon hunt.

DANG!!! Back to the camera. Did I forget to turn it on? No. DANG! I had walked back to my blind, unzipped the entrance, entered, zipped the entrance back up, sat down in my chair, removed my hat, took off my gloves, unzipped my hunting coat, put my bottle of water on the floor, leaned back in my chair, and realized. MY GUN IS LEANING ON THAT DANG! TREE DOWN THAT TRAIL NEXT TO MY CAMERA!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 11:02:47 AMI guess this proves that the only thing that my your mind listens to is my your butt.   ::)

beenthere

been there....  done that..... >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

My wife is my memory expert
She remembers birthdays, anniversaries, death dates and everything I have ever said
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on November 24, 2015, 09:49:42 AM
Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 11:02:47 AMI guess this proves that the only thing that my your mind listens to is my your butt.   ::)

:D :D

OneWithWood

Dude, what are you going to do when you actually are old?   :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

But we gotta grow up before we can grow old.   ;D   :D

blackfoot griz

I am gaining confidence in my ability to hide my own Easter eggs.

4x4American

Quote from: OneWithWood on November 24, 2015, 12:56:16 PM
Dude, what are you going to do when you actually are old?   :D

Thats what im wondering, my memory is already shot!
Boy, back in my day..

Jeff

I seem to have trouble with one door in particular. The microwave door here at the cabin.  I have lost count the number of times I have went searching for my coffee cup, and eventually finding it in the microwave where I had placed it at some point in time before to heat up my coffee.  I did it again last night.  Came in from hunting, poured the last cup out of the pot I had shut off before I went out, and woke up this morning looking for the cup. On a positive note, perhaps the cabin front dooe triggered the memory of where is was when I went outside as a last ditch effort to see if maybe I carried it outside with me to fetch water. I had not. :D

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on November 24, 2015, 01:30:37 PM
But we gotta grow up before we can grow old.   ;D   :D

Who said?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!