iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sure get spoiled -

Started by Brian_Bailey, October 02, 2004, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

using lumber that had been cut on my bandmill!

Got a load of cherry lumber delivered to my shop that had been sawn on a circle mill.  The customer wants me to make 3 blanket chests out of it for them  ;D. The tree had come from their property and they had a local circle sawyer cut it up.

I haven't used circle sawn lumber since I had bought my Mizer in 84!  
I had to go find my leather gloves in order to handle this truely rough lumber, something I've grown unaccustomed too.

Well I quess I'd better get busy running this stuff through the planer so I can see how the grain runs and get the boards matched up properly  :D.

The middle board was cut on my Mizer and is still rough  ;D.

This post isn't meant to start a debate, it's just an observation from a fellow wood enthusiatist  ;).

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Buzz-sawyer

What the  heck............... >:( ;) :D

Hey show your work to us when your done ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Brian_Bailey

QuoteWhat the  heck............... >:( ;) :D

That's exactly what I said when I first saw the lumber!  :D :D
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ex-racer

QuoteThe tree had come from their property and they had a local circle sawyer cut it up.
:D I'll  bet he didn't have to change the blade a couple of times, or fool around with soapy water or diesel oil to get his mill to do the job.   ;D ;D

Ed

woodhaven

As a circle mill operator I agree that is some rough looking wood. All it really tells you is that the sawyer needs to address his blade problems. Wood that rough is not typical of a well tuned circle mill.
Richard

Buzz-sawyer

It ALL looks the same when it comes outta the planer....cept the cirle cut wood only took about 6 seconds to cut ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodhaven

Good point Buzz. I wouldn't know how to work without a few splinters in my arms anyway.
Richard

HORSELOGGER

Yeah, I know what ya mean about getting spoiled with handling your own lumber. I am so used to running my own accuratly sawn circle mill lumber through my planer, I was miserable a couple weeks ago when I took on a job drying 3600 bft of a customers lumber and turning it into flooring. It was all sawn by a lady sawyer a couple hours from here on a bandmill, and was the poorest sawn bunch of wood I ever saw :oI think every piece was a diferent thickness, really a job on the first passes on the planer. Lot of pieces started out at one thickness, and tapered to another.Most of the stuff seemed sawed through and through , with pith ruining several boards, running right down the middle.She needs some sawin videos or sumthin :D I just ran some wide bandsawn ash today, and that was some nice stuff. Like already stated, ya gotta keep your stuff tuned up. I keep my blades sharp and , using carbide teeth, turn out very smooth lumber, nuthin like them pics ;)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Percy

Im a bandmill guy myself but have seen some pretty uptown circle sawn wood. My buddy Julius with the D&L can cut almost as smooth as my band. It might even be but the curved saw marks are easier to see. And Mark Ljungh here in town cuts with a Lucas and has got it figured as his wood is very smooth as well. Like it was said earlier, keep her tuned up for maximum performance. In the right hands, tweeked to the max, just about any mill of any type can cut excellent wood from good logs. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ronwood

Percy,

I could not agree more with your comments.  :) :)

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Brian_Bailey

I certainly agree that a well tuned circle saw will cut an excellent board.

In this batch of lumber that certainly isn't the case!  This really surprizes me because the sawyer that cut this wood has been running his mill nearly 40 yrs. that I know of.

The boards in the above pictures were actually some of the better ones, they get worse  :(.

Quite a few of the boards have extreme tearout in the surface as though they were run through a dull planer.  The tearout is so deep that it makes that part of the board useless.

Here is an example.

I didn't start this thread to take pot shots at circle sawn lumber.

I'm just very disappointed in the quality of the sawing.

I was excited when the customer first contacted me about making these chests for them but after seeing the lumber, my enthusiasm is somewhat dimmed.

I'll post some pictures of the finished chests  :).

Also, I'll post a bunch of pictures and text as I wade thru this project on my web site under project photos when I get time to build another page.

woodhaven

Brian,
No offense taken. I just hate to see stuff like that. That guy really needs to take a look at his mill. I have used wood off my mill that all I had to do was sand it smooth.
Richard

D._Frederick

B_B,

I wonder how dry the logs were when they were sawn? If the guy sawed them dry with a dull blade would explain the tear outs.

Brian_Bailey

D_F,  

I don't know too much history on this lumber other than it was sawn 4 yrs. ago and was sticked in a barn to A.D.

When I got it, I put it with some of my A.D. lumber and finished drying it in the kiln.

I suspect that since this was a custom sawing job, the sawyer waited until his blade was getting dull like you said before sawing it in case there was any hardware present.

rebocardo

I know what you mean by spoiled.

It took some tweaking, but, I have my chainsaw mill set up now so I can cut almost veener sized slices with it under 1/16 of an inch. Of course I end up wasting 3/8 of an inch of wood doing it :-D  Though I have made some interesting things.

The wood now comes off my mill smoother than anything I can buy at Home Depot. I had someone who saw the wood ask me what planer I used after I cut the wood with the chainsaw.

I just finished cutting some mantle pieces of pine 12' x 4" x 7' clear on at least three sides. Try finding a piece of pine at Home Depot clear on two faces.

The last wood I bought at Home Depot (YellaWood - pressure treated) was so twisted and warped I gave up trying to screw it together at proper 90 degree angles for a firewood crib I was building for someone. I think they must cut down baby/sapling trees and use each one for a single 2x4 going by the growth rings. Next time I am going to use my free green white oak.

Ianab

or maybe he hit the hardware in that log.. and kept going anyway. Why stop and sharpen when you probably going to hit something else  ::)

It does look pretty rough alright and the tearout is pretty unusual. I might get a bit of that when I'm chewing through crossgrain around knots, but never down a good face.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brian_Bailey

Ianab,  

There was no hardware cus I checked the boards real good!  Don't want anything like that going thru my planer  :o.

rebocardo,  

I get a really smooth cut with my chainsaw mill too. Now if I could only get the work factor, factored out!  :D :D.

slowzuki

Not to be tough on the circle guys but that pic is typical of circle sawn softwoods in our area.  Even the old time sawyers.

I have seen some very nice circle sawn stuff used in a 60 yo barn I helped dismantle.  Have also seen terrible bandsawn stuff at a wood worker friends house.

sigidi

Hey everyone,

pretty sure it's summed up by;

regardless of machine type - Band or Circle - it's the operator and their responsibility to operate their respective machinery at it's optimum.

We've all had good or bad examples of each mill type, so it's hard to say its the type of mill hardware

What do you all think? :)

Always willing to help - Allan

beenthere

sigidi
Very well said, that is what I think.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brian_Bailey

sigidi,  

I can't agree more with your statement.

This lumber was poorly sawn and if I was the sawyer I would be embarrassed to have anyone else see it.

sigidi

Hey Brian,

that's why I'm using all my cut timber for myself at the moment :D

I'm only 10 hours into my cutting experience and am terribly worried about giving some junk to a customer, so until I'm totally happy (which my wife says will be never!! :D ;D) I'm not selling any timber to a customer.

I think it'd only take one bad board to make a name for yourself.
Always willing to help - Allan

Brian_Bailey

sidigi,  

I've cut my share of bad boards and still do at times, although it is less frequent then in the past. But I think the reason for that is because I'm not sawing as much  :D :D.

One thing I've noticed selling retail is the customer will let you know when they think your trying to stick 'em with a bad board.  

It is then up to you to decide ( because it's your reputation at stake ) whether the board is really bad or they're being ultra finicky.

DextorDee

I have not mastered the art of good usable boards right off the mill. More to it than I would have thought. I get really frustrated sometimes trying to use my own lumber.
I had some of my trees sawn by a local portable mill guy. And I thought I can do better than that. Bought me a mill learned real quickly it ain't easy. Learned a lot but still gotta lot to learn. The learning doesn't seem to end. Like the different tree species, how to run the mill, how to adjust your mill, different blades and on and on,
Most all my sawing is for my use. Tying to please me is hard sometimes.
My hats off to you guys that do this for a living and turn out good boards. If any of you guys ever become traveling trouble shooters, please let me know.
I have learned alot on this forum. I would be lost big time without it.

Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Brad_S.

Brian - Do you always go around hitting hornets nests with sticks?    

Thanks for the welcome in my newbie thread. Know your area fairly well. My college sweetie was a Varysburg babe. Would enjoy a mutual benchmarking road trip. I am intimadated by how shiney your equipment is on your web site though. Mine had been ridden hard and put away wet. Maybe some winter day when it's too cold to saw?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!