iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this guy talking about?

Started by 4x4American, November 05, 2015, 09:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I was watching this video on youtube on Hank Williams, wasn't sure what the second drifting cowboy guy said.  It's a few seconds in.  Something about a hock shop and black jacks?  What is a hock shop and what are black jacks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBtiyw4oQUs
Boy, back in my day..

sawguy21

Hock shop=pawn shop. I don't know what he is referring to as black jacks unless he is talking about playing cards.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

4x4American

Ahh...thanks.  I thought that too or maybe he meant something to do with their outfits...
Boy, back in my day..

Don_Papenburg

Blackjack is a leather tube with one end filled with heavy shot  to bonk some fool on the block , resulting in them hitting the floor ,or hitting you a lot harder.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

4x4American

ahhh thanks for the clarification.  I knew some ole boy on here'd be able to help!
Boy, back in my day..

LaneC

Around here they were flat, about 8 inches long, 2-1/2 wide at the business end and about 1-1/2 inches wide where you hold it. My deceased uncle said he hit a guy named Rooster one time with his(he was a cop) he said there were 2 hits. He hit Rooster and Rooster hit the ground.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Tom the Sawyer

LaneC,

Around here the flat ones were called saps.  Uniforms even had a sap pocket sewn into the outer thigh area of the trousers.  Most had a strap that went around your hand because losing control of one was bad news, whomever had control of it could figure out how it worked.   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Raider Bill

I carried a flat sap or black jack for years. Like mentioned we had a pocket sewn in our uniform pants along the back leg. The strap hung out for quick access.
The jack was 8-10 inches long, thick leather with spring steel running the length and a knob of lead on the end.
Played right it came as a complete surprise when applied alongside someones noggin.
It also was nice to knock on doors with. Didn't leave any marks and saved your knuckles.

Some also used to wear sap gloves if going into a "this could get rough" call. Some guys kept them with the fingers tucked into your gun belt for quick use. It sent a message.
I don't believe either are allowed anymore.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There is a soil on the South called Black Jack.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

There is a soil "Black Belt" region that stretches across Alabama and into Mississippi.  Black Belt Region

We will be in that region next week sawing for wwsjr.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

And don't forget Blackjack oak - Quercus marilandica.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!