iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scribner rule

Started by loggerman1959, November 05, 2015, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

Anyone know how many bd ft in a cord by Scribner rule ?

beenthere

Scribner is based on estimating bd ft volume based on individual log measurements. Individual log sizes added up to get a total.
Hard to get much accuracy by taking a total volume measurement (i.e. cords) and extracting a good estimate of bd ft by Scribner rule.  Maybe there are some estimates floating around.. but likely only if there are some minimum sizes of logs in the pile (load).

What do you have to work with for estimating volume of cords to start with?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggerman1959

That's what I'm trying to figure out . I have people who want to buy log loads from me , but I never have sold them that way , so I need to know how to figure out how many cords I'm loading . Any help would be much appreciated .

beenthere

A cord is 128 cuft.
Measure your log load (length x width x height) and calculate the cuft to determine the number of cords.

If you have scaled the logs in scribner that are on the load, then you will have at least one estimate as to how they compare.

Cord measurement comes out different if a stack of logs versus a stack of bucked firewood vs split firewood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Approximately 500 board feet in a cord is the general rule around here.  That's an approximate depending on how the cord is stacked, diameters of sticks and how straight they are.  Most everyone up here uses Scribner too.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

But that cord/500 bdft of pulp won't cut up to a full cord of processed firewood unless it's exceptional and then it probably should have went for saw bolts  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

loggerman1959

What exactly is a saw bolt ?

Tarm

A saw bolt is a grade of log between pulpwood sticks (which are chipped up) and saw logs (which are sawed into lumber.) Saw bolts usually have an 8 inch minimum diameter ( 7 inches if gun barrel straight) and need to be free of rot.  So logs that are sound but are too small or have too many knots to be graded saw logs end up in the bolt pile. Saw bolts are usually sent to pallet mills and are cut up into pallet pieces. Saw bolts are worth more than pulp but less than saw logs.

Thank You Sponsors!