iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worried I may Have found a niche

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, November 05, 2015, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

Quote from: Magicman on November 07, 2015, 09:49:01 PM
No.  Rather than reasonable, I would say exceptional.  Two and sometimes three would be reasonable.
So I should expect about 700bf from a blade cutting 1" Oak if I'm reading that right?
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

coppolajc10

I get more in the 250-500 range depending on log size, condition of logs, etc.  Sharpen myself.

Magicman

Quote from: Kingmt on November 07, 2015, 09:59:55 PMSo I should expect about 700bf from a blade cutting 1" Oak if I'm reading that right?
Without a debarker, I would not expect it, but rather be thankful for it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: coppolajc10 on November 07, 2015, 09:53:28 PM

Cazz, where are you located?  And what kind a mill are you operating?  Will help me compare apples to apples.  I'm near many Amish mills, $1 /bft would never fly around here, but I'm definitely jealous.  :D  I know one of the Amish mill owners, they recently raised their prices to $120/mbf, used to be $100, they've been there  milling day in and day out since I was a wee boy.  Amish certainly factor into the price and demand equation negatively around here.  If you're milling around here, you better like milling.

Yeah, the Amish are a REAL problem, God love em they work very hard and I've never met a poor Amish man but sheesh. Guys charging .10 .20 .30 cents is very cheap. That's what people were charging when I got into this 18 years ago. It sad but its like firewood, it never goes up in price cause anyone can do it. With an expensive piece of equipment and valuable experience we don't have to do it for next to nothing. If the Amish are custom sawing for that, find a niche that they aren't doing, its the only way to compete with them.

I have a guy near me who sells Oak fence boards for 7.00, I'm still trying to get 9.00 but it looks like the terrible Oak market is taking its toll and I'm going to have to lower it.

I know for a fact he is always out of them, funny thing is he can't see that his prices are too low.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Kingmt on November 07, 2015, 09:59:55 PM
Quote from: Magicman on November 07, 2015, 09:49:01 PM
No.  Rather than reasonable, I would say exceptional.  Two and sometimes three would be reasonable.
So I should expect about 700bf from a blade cutting 1" Oak if I'm reading that right?

I get 4-500 using my line debarker and ALSO the logs cannot be dragged around. My loggers are using skid steers and the logs are bucked when they hit the ground. If I could only get them to stop splitting the butts.  >:(
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

deadfall

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 07, 2015, 11:10:41 PM...the logs are bucked when they hit the ground.  If I could only get them to stop splitting the butts.  >:(

I hear that.  In too much of a hurry to go over and under, or under and over, whichever is required at each bucking to keep that from happening.  The time can be measured in board feet.  I had a road put in and they did the felling and bucking.  I didn't want to slow them down at what they were costing me, but I wish I could have.  It was lumpy ground and they split a lot of timber for me.  They made a nice road for me, but they weren't loggers.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on November 07, 2015, 10:14:11 PM
Quote from: Kingmt on November 07, 2015, 09:59:55 PMSo I should expect about 700bf from a blade cutting 1" Oak if I'm reading that right?
Without a debarker, I would not expect it, but rather be thankful for it.

I did a little homeowner job yesterday; about 500bf of Live Oak and Hickory.  The logs were pretty dirty and I couldn't use the debarker 'cuz of the way I had to set the mill up.  I used 3 bands.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kingmt

Wow. I had no idea the bands went that quick. My first band lasted forever. It never did do a great job but I don't think I had enough tension on it ether. I was mostly sawing Oak & I cut over 1500bf of just Oak I'm sure. On top of that about 200-300 Box Elder & maybe 20bf of Walnut.

Magicman

They do not "always" go that fast, just do not "expect" them to always saw 700-1000bf.  Your instance above says that you were probably sawing the entire job with a dull blade.  Just because it will still saw does not indicate sharpness.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingmt

Maybe. It was the first time I ever sawed. It cut until I went to pine & the blade went everywhere. It did climb a little cutting the Oak & Walnut was the last thing I got any decent boards out of when it started climbing bad. I was also cutting narrow stuff.

The blades I'm using now still cut pretty nice lumber when they get dull. They cut really slow tho. I thought I was going through them really fast & something was wrong but I may be getting better life out of them then I think.

Banjo picker

I think whats happening here is you are talking about the life of the band and everyone else is talking about how many bf before you need to sharpen.  I have a debarker and I try to only run my bands 500 bf if cutting one bys.  But I can get 4 or 5 sharpening out of it.  So 2000 to 3000 bf is a reasonable goal for me with a debarker.  Some times I will get even more from a really good band.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kingmt

Sorry for the confusion on words. English seems to leave much to interpretation. By life I meant till it was no longer producing exceptable lumber & needed change/sharpened.

I know far more about sawing now then I did when I started & still know nothing about it. I think I'm getting the hang of making saw dust pretty good & have some boards left over afterwords. So starting I'm not sure what was me, the saw or, whatever else it could be.

deadfall

When I'm sawing red alder, I can forget when I put on the blade.  Everything else I cut, not so much.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Just being honest, I went through 3 bands in 700bd' of cedar! :-\ First one was used when I started, 2nd one pinched trying to back out of a cut and third finished the job. Operator error has a lot to do with blade life as well. Thank goodness I figured this in to a flat rate price for such small logs. Sometimes the day goes that way that way! Just being honest, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Kingmt

I understand. I put a new blades on today to finish up a log. I got down to the last board & hit my post. It has been one of those days.

Hillydano74

I've found that cleaning the saw head out after each log with a blower greatly increases my blade life. Takes a bit longer but in the long run I get more bf out of a blade.

hackberry jake

The more lumber you saw, the more you realize that blades are cheap. Time is expensive.

I'm sure I could probably get 1,000 bf out of every blade, but at some point you are cutting so slow, it is actually costing you more money in machine wear, gasoline, and man hours than its worth. Just stop and put on a fresh blade and you're off running again.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!