iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to use to kill poison ivy?

Started by Brad_bb, November 05, 2015, 07:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Need to kill a few poison ivy vines in a particular area so I'm not rubbing against them in the future.  They are about the diameter of a nickel.  What is the best way to kill them?  If you tell me Round up, does it have to be when foliage is out?  It's lost it's leave for this year already. So would I have to wait for spring?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

OldMasterTech

I sit safely in my tractor cab, put the tip of one fork against the base of the vine and cut it off. They don't seem to grow back, at least from the cut stem.
All gave some ** Some gave all
Never forget

curdog

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0045s.html
Here's some good info on herbicide application. I've used basal bark treatments for poison ivy and wisteria with good success.

Sixacresand

In my case, I would just avoid the poison ivy area completely.  The foresters here can tell you how to kill it, chemically.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Whack it off low and spray the "stump" with your herbicide.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattJ

I have done what magicman said many times with vines up over 4" in diameter.  Cut it with a handsaw as I didn't want the chainsaw to send mist my way, and then I carry around a small bucket of concentrated 40% roundup with an old paint brush.  Cut it and paint it.  Works for me in the fall including on sweetgum.  Might not work in the middle of winter when no sap is moving.

ely

the higher percentage of glyphosate on a cut stump seems to work well anytime for me... mix some garlon4 with diesel for a basal treatment of the intact stems for a quicker easier route...I use 20 oz in a two gallon pump up sprayer... be sure to use the mixture up and rinse the sprayer or the diesel will eat the seals in the pump.
and by higher percentage on the glyphosate I mean 50 / 50 of the 41% chemical.

sandhills

I've used Grazon successfully before but in the spring, the power company came to our old place this summer and took trees out along the powerlines they were using Garlon 4 Plus I believe on stumps.  They also sprayed a few standing erc and wanted me to let them know how it worked, one was over 6' and it fried it, the smaller ones were gone in a couple days.

StimW

For anyone who doesn't know, NEVER BURN IT!!
What effects you from Poison Ivy is the oil in the plant. When burned the oil becomes vapor and can be inhaled. It could be deadly!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

WV Sawmiller

I keep a hatchet in the basket of my 4 wheeler and cut them off low. I also use it to cut everything that looks like a cocklebur.

Goats work fine on the green vines.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

florida

Poison ivy is real easy to kill. Usually just cutting it off does the trick but sometimes using a Brush Killer from HD or a hardware store might be needed. I usually chop in the vine  in half right above the ground and let nature take its course. It rots quickly so in two years or so it's all gone. Wipe your blade off with gas or any solvent to make sure you don't get it on a week later.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DanG

I've had good luck with a product called Brush-B-Gone.  I think it's from Ortho. It is readily available from any of the big box stores, including Walmart.  It works good as a stump killer too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

X2 on that product, like DanG it is good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Claybraker

Basal spray with Garlon 4 works anytime of the year, as long as the bark or whatever that hairy covering on poison ivy vines is called. With the right equipment, you won't have to get any closer than about 6'.

I cut one once, and a chunk of wood got caught under my watch band. It was bad.

mesquite buckeye

Just cut it with your chainsaw with the outgoing side of the bar and almost all the spray will go away from you. If you want to reduce  poison ivy in your woods you need to reduce the seed production. Most of that happens along fencerows and high in the trees. If you keep the ivy from getting into the brightly lit part of the canopy, very little seed production occurs. If you can keep it low and weak the deer will help a lot with reducing it. Keeping seed production low reduces new colony formation. Tordon does a fine job on killing vines but don't spill it against the tree. I have hurt them that way.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Howdy

Somehow I have always used "natural" methods...

I wander through the woods enjoying the beauty of nature, exploring each leaf and twig seeking oneness with nature.  Then I spend a week or two suffering from the allergic reaction hoping not to need to spend another week in the hospital like the last time, I send someone else to find the Poison Oak or Ivy.  Seldom fails unless I don't listen to the wife and take another walk. 

mesquite buckeye

Ivarest is great stuff for getting rid of it after you are itching. It works by decoupling the active itch maker from your skin. Best thing I have tried outside of not getting into the poison ivy in the first place.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

PASS_AUF

Garlon 4 is some real good stuff but if there's only a handful of vines that need to be treated I'd buy Tordon. A quart bottle of Tordon is about 15.00 by me, lots cheaper than Garlon 4. I've heard laundry detergent works well on fresh exposure and is something everyone's got laying around. I can't say I've ever tried that trick, I don't think I'm allergic to ivy, I've never had it before.
Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

Al_Smith

A good sharp axe will cut it slick as grease on a door knob . Plus there are no chips .

I have skin as tough as rhino hide and the stuff doesn't bother me for some reason .However my wife ,RIP could not even handle clothing that came in contact with it .As such I disrobed in the garage if I came in contact with it and washed my clothes in a second washing machine she never came in contact with .Ya gotta do what ya gotta do at times.

Chuck White

There's quite a bit of P.I. in this area and it don't seem to bother me either, and I know I've come in contact with it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

The stuff is dormant for up to 4 years so be careful if you saw logs with it on them.It is worse after it dries.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!