iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best place to buy a 3pt Winch plate

Started by Wallee, November 04, 2015, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 06, 2015, 09:14:09 PM
The loader is going to cause you to loose traction with your rear tires and you won't go anywhere.  I almost bought a two wheel drive when I bought my M 7040 Kutota the money on the four wheel drive was the best I spent on the machine. You will get much more use of the loader with four wheel drive.  Banjo
Loaded tires and a 1200 pound skidding winch not get the weight you need on the back?
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Dixon700

I personally  will never own a 2wd tractor unless it's something small to just run a brush hog or some small work where my 580sk won't fit. Even with my backhoe I wouldn't want it 2wd. And it has a big extendahoe on the back for when its stuck. Which in weighing 18k lbs it sinks pretty bad and doesn't take a lot to get stuck in the woods. I would probably buy some agressive chains now if you're keeping the 2wd. Having loaded tires and the extra weight on it and chains it would probably go alright. The nice part of the loader is if you have a big heavy load and need to haul it up hill or the front end just keeps pulling up grab a load of dirt with the loader then the only issue you'll run into is getting enough power to the ground. I used to fill the loader all the time dragging logs way longer than my 27hp kubota should of been pulling.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Banjo picker

My tires are loaded. That in itself probably won't be enough.  I have a winch as well, it is one I built, it weighs quite a bit, but I don't leave it on the tractor all the time either.  If you plan on never taking the winch off the weight on the rear tires will help.  Even with 4 x 4 drive I built a weight for the back of my tractor when I am moving heavy loads.  That way if I inadvertently back into something I wont damage an accessory.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on November 05, 2015, 09:05:24 PM
Looks to be 2 wd? I would give the 2wd drive a little more thought.Yes,I know money,but the 4wd drive I have is so much better in the woods. I have a real steep hill to come down,the only way to get to the woods across the bog. It will hold back on a hill with a trailer full of wood. I like the step up from a 43 to 74 hp.  :) You will be able to do more with it.

It's likely he's not fighting the kind of hills in Mississippi that you are dealing with in Maine
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

It's not just the steep hill,it's also the stump in front of one rear tire and another stump in front of the front tires. Or maybe an old rotten tree that is in the way. Or a uneven place that will be a bother. Maybe a few rocks in a wet hole might bother.Yes,we would set over about a foot and be all set. My Father used a 2wd in the woods for 40 years,some in the winter too and managed just fine.   :)  We did not have a loader either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

W5E2J

Wallee, just to echo what others have said, a smaller 4wd tractor will easily out pull a larger 2wd tractor with a loader on the front. One thing that has not been mentioned is the 4wd  front end is stronger and will last longer when loading heavy logs than the 2wd front end.  I have seen too many farmers here break 2wd axles loading the large round hay bales which will weigh close to some of the logs you will be loading. You do have a nice rig, but for the long haul the heavier front end on the 4wd will hold up better.  But good luck with your set up. Keep us posted as to how it works.  Willie Jones

Wallee

Quote from: W5E2J on November 17, 2015, 06:17:30 PM
Wallee, just to echo what others have said, a smaller 4wd tractor will easily out pull a larger 2wd tractor with a loader on the front. One thing that has not been mentioned is the 4wd  front end is stronger and will last longer when loading heavy logs than the 2wd front end.  I have seen too many farmers here break 2wd axles loading the large round hay bales which will weigh close to some of the logs you will be loading. You do have a nice rig, but for the long haul the heavier front end on the 4wd will hold up better.  But good luck with your set up. Keep us posted as to how it works.  Willie Jones
Will do! I will be picking up the tractor first part of next week. Bank made me jump through hoops and wait to boot. Think I will be going with the Walenstein fx140 through southwest distributing in clinton ok. Anyone heard anything bad about the fx140? Seemed to be the most winch for the money to me by figures.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

mad murdock

Congratulations on your wood getter!  Let the good times roll 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sandsawmill14

i used a 285 massey to snake logs with 2 wheel drive its all in how you hook i had to weight the front end instead of rear because it would rear up. it wont pull what a 85 hp 4 wheel drive but will out pull a 50-60 hp 4 wheel drive. dont get me wrong 4 wheel drive is nice but i rather have extra and hp if i cant have both. when you have really long skids is when the  extra hp really helps once i got to the skid road i could pull 3 double length logs in high 2nd  around 8-10 mph. a lower hp 4x4 would have to stay in low range or make smaller drags  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

btw i have a little 24 hp ford 4 wheel drive tractor and like it but it aint for loggin :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

thecfarm

Tractor and winch looks good. Lets see some wood behind it!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 05, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
i used a 285 massey to snake logs with 2 wheel drive its all in how you hook i had to weight the front end instead of rear because it would rear up. it wont pull what a 85 hp 4 wheel drive but will out pull a 50-60 hp 4 wheel drive. dont get me wrong 4 wheel drive is nice but i rather have extra and hp if i cant have both. when you have really long skids is when the  extra hp really helps once i got to the skid road i could pull 3 double length logs in high 2nd  around 8-10 mph. a lower hp 4x4 would have to stay in low range or make smaller drags  :)
My grandpa took a farmall c 2wd and put a winch behind it and rigged up a push blade on the front and it was a woods MACHINE!
Quote from: thecfarm on December 05, 2015, 06:19:01 AM
Tractor and winch looks good. Lets see some wood behind it!!

Your wish is my command, I will get some tomorrow and post them up!

june

i have use a farmi jl501 in the past on a 65 hp 4wd tractor and it work fine
only thing about that model is frequently ajust the wire brake

Wallee

thecfarm

That is what I like to see. Get some paint scratched off that thing!!!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!