iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best place to buy a 3pt Winch plate

Started by Wallee, November 04, 2015, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

I do a lot of small acreage logging for the public and have been using my ford 2910 to skid logs. I been using a draw bar and some 12' choker cable  :D. Thats not cutting it lol. I have finally decided to invest in myself and get a new Massey Ferguson 74 hp tractor and I am planning on buying my first winch. Trouble I am having is locating a dealer for some of these different brands. Who have some of you guys purchased your winches from? Your experience with said company? 
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

W5E2J

Check out Labonville, they carry the Norse brand. You are getting into a larger winch size with your tractor and will probably want to check out several of the different brands to find one that is best suited for you. Farmi, Wallenstein, and Taijfun are other brands folks have recommended. W Jones

thecfarm

All the big brands are just about the same. I have not seen one at Tractor supply,so no cheap ones to talk about. I feel what ever you get,you will wonder why you did not get it sooner,  ;D I have a Norse,sold by Labonville. I think Igland is just about the same thing. My Father and me used that thing hard for 3 years. Now it lives a life of ease just doing firewood. I've had this winch for 20 years and have not needed any parts for it.
There is some safety things,don't winch in at a sharp angle,the tree might come up against something and stop and if you keep winching you can tip the tractor over. Always drop the winch when winching. Watch what is coming towards you on the ground. The tree might be pushing slash towards you.
I ran 6 chockers on mine. Sometime all are full and sometimes only one is in use. I made up 6 four chains. I use them more than the 8 footors. Much easier to pull a foot of chain through a chocker,than 5 feet of chain.
I don't haul alot of tree lenght,most times I cut it in 2 and twich it out. A lot can go on about 80 feet behind you. I find out it hauls easier this way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wfcjr

Nearly all of the reputable manufacturers make a quality skidding winch;  Farmi, Igland, Norse, Wallenstein, etc.

Check out pricing online & also local dealers.   Iowa Farm Equipment is a good place to start online.

While we purchased our skidding winch from our local tractor dealer, I would not hesitate to buy from Iowa Farm Equipment.
We bought a flail from them and had good service.

Just make sure that you "right size" the skidding winch to your tractor size, hp & PTO hp.

waynem3020

I have a Wallenstein FX90 winch that I bought from Woodward Crossings in PA about 2 years ago. It has been a very good solid winch so far. As to customer service, Woodward Crossings is right up there with the best of them, I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

I personally like the Wallenstein best, but, as has been stated before, all the major brands are pretty good quality. One feature that I REALLY like about the Wallenstein is the hitch - I don't have to remove the winch to pull my little firewood trailer. But then, I think the Norse has a fold up blade so you can use your tractor hitch without removing the winch. Guess it all comes down to availability and personal preference.
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

wfcjr

Quote from: waynem3020 on November 05, 2015, 11:38:44 AM
I have a Wallenstein FX90 winch

One feature that I REALLY like about the Wallenstein is the hitch - I don't have to remove the winch to pull my little firewood trailer. Guess it all comes down to availability and personal preference.

Ditto on the Wallenstein FX 90.  Have had one for five years now and it has performed very well.
Plus, made in North America.

Ed_K

When buying the tractor, try to get them to put forestry tires on for the price. You'll be glad you did.
Ed K

wfcjr

Quote from: Ed_K on November 05, 2015, 06:06:24 PM
When buying the tractor, try to get them to put forestry tires on for the price. You'll be glad you did.

That is absolutely one of the best suggestions that I have ever seen on this forum.  We use our tractor both for ag and forestry applications.
If I had to do it again, I would definitely buy forestry tires or at least tires with ag treads & forestry grade sidewalls and then have them loaded.

Where were you five years ago when we were kitting up our tractor!!!

thecfarm

Ed_K knows and I know too. I had a tractor with ag tires,narrow deep cleats,than I got another with the r tires,wide,not so deep cleats.Those r tires would not go where I went with the ag tires. I really hate the r tires. I know the difference because I am going the same places that I use to go with the ag tires. Get the tires loaded too. I have a small hill that I need to go up on.This is when there is snow on the ground and a packed trail. With a few trees behind me,no way. I have to drop the twitch and go forward and winch it back in to get up the small hill. The other tractor went up that small hill easy.
The only good thing I can say about the r tires,they pack down an area really good. I hauled in a bunch of dirt beside my driveway so I could mow it. There was a drop off of about 3 feet. I added dirt and made a nice slope out of it. I would drive over it with the tractor and smooth it out that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wfcjr

Not sure what r tires are.  We have ag tires on our tractor, and yes they go anyplace... especially with chains.
But, would like the added sidewall protection of forestry tires.

A quick internet search looks like a couple of companies offer a sort of hybrid tire for 4WD tractors....
Ag type treads & forestry grade sidewalls.  Wish that we had them... or am I missing something?

beenthere

R tires mentioned are R4 Industrial tires, I believe.

Also, switching back and forth not possible because the rims are different. So new rims needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDkLEdeFss
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Ok so here is the tractor I decided on. massey ferguson 2650hd. Its a 74hp as compared to my old 43hp  8)

This is the winch I am considering and I talked to the dealer today about availability and its in stock and 150 miles from my house. Also said if I picked it up in person and received free training on using the winch that they would extend my warranty 3 months.
http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/55m-uniforest-log-skidding-winch
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

thecfarm

Looks to be 2 wd? I would give the 2wd drive a little more thought.Yes,I know money,but the 4wd drive I have is so much better in the woods. I have a real steep hill to come down,the only way to get to the woods across the bog. It will hold back on a hill with a trailer full of wood. I like the step up from a 43 to 74 hp.  :) You will be able to do more with it.

Wallee

Quote from: thecfarm on November 05, 2015, 09:05:24 PM
Looks to be 2 wd? I would give the 2wd drive a little more thought.Yes,I know money,but the 4wd drive I have is so much better in the woods. I have a real steep hill to come down,the only way to get to the woods across the bog. It will hold back on a hill with a trailer full of wood. I like the step up from a 43 to 74 hp.  :) You will be able to do more with it.

Thats my thought as far as the size comparison. I am going to be able to do so much more with this machine. Plus it has a front end loader and my old one did not. I can not wait to try out a skidding winch. Its a pain trying to skid without one so I can only imagine it being a ton better with one. I am worried about not going with 4wd but this tractor is at a super nice price and has to be better than what I am currently working.

thecfarm

Is it a standard? You will get to know the individual brakes real well,but it will get the job done.  :)  The loader you will really like too.

North River Energy

QuoteI am worried about not going with 4wd but this tractor is at a super nice price and has to be better than what I am currently working.
Consider the possibility that the price is indicative of overall utility of 2wd v. 4wd, and that maybe the market/appeal for a 2wd tractor in that class is significantly limited for practical reasons.

kensfarm

You can always get the Ag tires solid filled.  This is a TN65S E shuttle shift.. bought it used.. but it's been a workhorse.  Congrats on your new tractor!  I'd call and see if they let you trade up to 4WD.. only way to get the most out of the tractor's hp and pulling power.  Now if you are only going to cut hay w/ it.. diff. story. 

Wallee

Quote from: kensfarm on November 05, 2015, 09:59:35 PM

You can always get the Ag tires solid filled.  This is a TN65S E shuttle shift.. bought it used.. but it's been a workhorse.  Congrats on your new tractor!

Thanks! Good looking set up you have. I have been doing some crazy skidding with this small 43 hp tractor with no winch so even though it isnt 4wd, I still believe with the extra hp and winch I should be good to go. Anyone familiar with the uniforest winches?

NHMike

I have a small Farmi winch on my Kubota.  I am always amazed at what it will pull and skid out.  I would seriously reconsider the 4wd.  I would settle for less HP & have 4wd. It will get you out of situations that you don't plan for.

The winches are extremely powerful.  Start off going slow.  Always do a straight line pull with no more than a 10% angle. Do your self a favor and get a self release snatch block. It will greatly improve your production. And save you a lot of headaches.

As for uniforest winches, they are a good brand.  I looked at them when I bought my Farmi. I went with the Farmi as I got a good deal from a local dealer at the time.

47sawdust

Wallee,
A lot of work got done before 4wd tractors came along.Trygg Chains on the rear with loaded tires and you should be fine.I logged 1 winter here in Vermont with a 2wd Kubota with chains and went into some rough places with it.As for as the Uniforest winch goes,I don't have first hand knowledge of them.I felt they were just a step down from the Farmi,Tajfun,and other major brands.I bought a Tajfun because it was well featured,very well made,and nice to look at.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

wfcjr

Not trying to be negative, but if the MF is a 2WD, would suggest you strongly consider a 4WD.
I know that up at our place, we could not get by with 2WD.  Also, front wheels/tires look to be a size more suited
to ag than forestry or multi-use.   Would be concerned about them getting buried in tough traction or muddy situations.

Just one guys $0.02.

Good luck in your decisions.

beenthere

These later models of Utility tractors are lighter in the rear, compared to the older models that were mostly 2wd.
But will be interested in how this Massey compares to the previous tractor, and Wallee will be in a good position to give us the skinny.
My compact utility doesn't go very far (even with rear ballast) in 2wd with the loader on and in the woods. Too many small limbs and ground debris will cause putting it in 4wd, especially if carrying anything in the bucket or on the forks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

waynem3020

2WD vs 4WD - When I first had my winch I had a JD3020, about 74 hp and 7500 lbs for the bare tractor, with 400lbs of weight on the front and loaded rear tires, then I went to a 4WD JD5203, 56hp and 5000 lbs for the bare tractor, with a FEL and loaded rear tires. It seems to me the 5203 can pull as much or maybe even a bit more than the heavier, more powerful 3020 used to. For me, there is no way I would want to go back to a 2WD, even though the 4WD is quite a bit more money. Of course, Mississippi is probably flatter than central OH, so a 2WD tractor would get around better than it would in steep hills, I guess.  :D

Just my opinion.
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

Wallee

Quote from: 47sawdust on November 06, 2015, 06:22:49 AM
Wallee,
A lot of work got done before 4wd tractors came along.Trygg Chains on the rear with loaded tires and you should be fine.I logged 1 winter here in Vermont with a 2wd Kubota with chains and went into some rough places with it.As for as the Uniforest winch goes,I don't have first hand knowledge of them.I felt they were just a step down from the Farmi,Tajfun,and other major brands.I bought a Tajfun because it was well featured,very well made,and nice to look at.
Good luck,
Mick
Thanks for the positive outlook! Ha ha I will tell you guys this, mississippi isnt very mountain like lol, it is relatively flat. I wanted to go with a higher hp tractor with a high reaching FEL so I could load my truck higher. IF I am on a hill that is where I was hoping that the 6 thousand dollar winch would come in handy! The reach of the Massey was good and for the money I haven't seen anything else of that size in that ball park that wasnt really old. The Massey is a 2011 model. I dont mind telling what I am paying as well because it could possibly help me avoid over paying. The tractor has 400 hours and was advertised at 19k and I got the down to 17,500. What do you guys think on this deal? Getting a smaller 4wd might prevent me from being able to load my truck as high as I was wanting is part of my thinking process. The loader on this Massey is rated at 3300 pounds.

Banjo picker

The loader is going to cause you to loose traction with your rear tires and you won't go anywhere.  I almost bought a two wheel drive when I bought my M 7040 Kutota the money on the four wheel drive was the best I spent on the machine. You will get much more use of the loader with four wheel drive.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Wallee

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 06, 2015, 09:14:09 PM
The loader is going to cause you to loose traction with your rear tires and you won't go anywhere.  I almost bought a two wheel drive when I bought my M 7040 Kutota the money on the four wheel drive was the best I spent on the machine. You will get much more use of the loader with four wheel drive.  Banjo
Loaded tires and a 1200 pound skidding winch not get the weight you need on the back?

Dixon700

I personally  will never own a 2wd tractor unless it's something small to just run a brush hog or some small work where my 580sk won't fit. Even with my backhoe I wouldn't want it 2wd. And it has a big extendahoe on the back for when its stuck. Which in weighing 18k lbs it sinks pretty bad and doesn't take a lot to get stuck in the woods. I would probably buy some agressive chains now if you're keeping the 2wd. Having loaded tires and the extra weight on it and chains it would probably go alright. The nice part of the loader is if you have a big heavy load and need to haul it up hill or the front end just keeps pulling up grab a load of dirt with the loader then the only issue you'll run into is getting enough power to the ground. I used to fill the loader all the time dragging logs way longer than my 27hp kubota should of been pulling.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Banjo picker

My tires are loaded. That in itself probably won't be enough.  I have a winch as well, it is one I built, it weighs quite a bit, but I don't leave it on the tractor all the time either.  If you plan on never taking the winch off the weight on the rear tires will help.  Even with 4 x 4 drive I built a weight for the back of my tractor when I am moving heavy loads.  That way if I inadvertently back into something I wont damage an accessory.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on November 05, 2015, 09:05:24 PM

It's likely he's not fighting the kind of hills in Mississippi that you are dealing with in Maine
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

It's not just the steep hill,it's also the stump in front of one rear tire and another stump in front of the front tires. Or maybe an old rotten tree that is in the way. Or a uneven place that will be a bother. Maybe a few rocks in a wet hole might bother.Yes,we would set over about a foot and be all set. My Father used a 2wd in the woods for 40 years,some in the winter too and managed just fine.   :)  We did not have a loader either.

W5E2J

Wallee, just to echo what others have said, a smaller 4wd tractor will easily out pull a larger 2wd tractor with a loader on the front. One thing that has not been mentioned is the 4wd  front end is stronger and will last longer when loading heavy logs than the 2wd front end.  I have seen too many farmers here break 2wd axles loading the large round hay bales which will weigh close to some of the logs you will be loading. You do have a nice rig, but for the long haul the heavier front end on the 4wd will hold up better.  But good luck with your set up. Keep us posted as to how it works.  Willie Jones

Wallee

Quote from: W5E2J on November 17, 2015, 06:17:30 PM
Wallee, just to echo what others have said, a smaller 4wd tractor will easily out pull a larger 2wd tractor with a loader on the front. One thing that has not been mentioned is the 4wd  front end is stronger and will last longer when loading heavy logs than the 2wd front end.  I have seen too many farmers here break 2wd axles loading the large round hay bales which will weigh close to some of the logs you will be loading. You do have a nice rig, but for the long haul the heavier front end on the 4wd will hold up better.  But good luck with your set up. Keep us posted as to how it works.  Willie Jones
Will do! I will be picking up the tractor first part of next week. Bank made me jump through hoops and wait to boot. Think I will be going with the Walenstein fx140 through southwest distributing in clinton ok. Anyone heard anything bad about the fx140? Seemed to be the most winch for the money to me by figures.

Wallee

mad murdock

Congratulations on your wood getter!  Let the good times roll 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sandsawmill14

i used a 285 massey to snake logs with 2 wheel drive its all in how you hook i had to weight the front end instead of rear because it would rear up. it wont pull what a 85 hp 4 wheel drive but will out pull a 50-60 hp 4 wheel drive. dont get me wrong 4 wheel drive is nice but i rather have extra and hp if i cant have both. when you have really long skids is when the  extra hp really helps once i got to the skid road i could pull 3 double length logs in high 2nd  around 8-10 mph. a lower hp 4x4 would have to stay in low range or make smaller drags  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

btw i have a little 24 hp ford 4 wheel drive tractor and like it but it aint for loggin :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

thecfarm

Tractor and winch looks good. Lets see some wood behind it!!

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 05, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
i used a 285 massey to snake logs with 2 wheel drive its all in how you hook i had to weight the front end instead of rear because it would rear up. it wont pull what a 85 hp 4 wheel drive but will out pull a 50-60 hp 4 wheel drive. dont get me wrong 4 wheel drive is nice but i rather have extra and hp if i cant have both. when you have really long skids is when the  extra hp really helps once i got to the skid road i could pull 3 double length logs in high 2nd  around 8-10 mph. a lower hp 4x4 would have to stay in low range or make smaller drags  :)
My grandpa took a farmall c 2wd and put a winch behind it and rigged up a push blade on the front and it was a woods MACHINE!
Quote from: thecfarm on December 05, 2015, 06:19:01 AM
Tractor and winch looks good. Lets see some wood behind it!!

Your wish is my command, I will get some tomorrow and post them up!

june

i have use a farmi jl501 in the past on a 65 hp 4wd tractor and it work fine
only thing about that model is frequently ajust the wire brake

Wallee

thecfarm

That is what I like to see. Get some paint scratched off that thing!!!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!