iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

webasto engine heaters.

Started by starmac, November 03, 2015, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I don't know if this is the right place or not, but does anybody have any experience with the webasto heaters, particularly the thermo top c model?

I got out of the woods late last night and couldn't get unloaded, so had to leave the truck outside. It was only down to 7 degrees this morning, so started fine, but when it gets cold I would have to leave it running.

The kenworth dealer here has sold some and recommended the thermo top c, but I can't really find any specs on it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

nhlogga

Never heard of webasto heaters. Most in my area are using Espar heaters. Those work well.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

starmac

Webast and espar are pretty much the same thing, not sure they are not the same.
As luck would have it, The logger I am currently hauling for called a few minutes ago, and I mentioned I thought I was going to pick one up, my thinking was or is, that if I leave my truck outside loaded every other day I can get 2 loads every other day, pulling at least 2 more loads a week. Now he told me he had one that I could have he had pulled off a truck he sold, and he would drop it off in the morning.

So it will save me 1300 bucks to see if my idea works.

Glenn

We got our first webasso around 1990 or so.  Works great.  You can set the timer to start on any day or time so if the the truck sits for the weekend you can start the heater sunday night.  Also great if you do long haul you can just keep the heater going instead of the truck and the interier stays warm.  We changed out all our batteries to deep cycle because the reg ones wouldnt last long with the heater. 

Grizzly

I am not familiar with that particular model but have used Webasto in the past. Nothing wrong with the brand name but do keep them maintained and if it glitches at all replace the "brain". The other thing I would recommend is to add secondary batteries for the Webasto and use an isolator so that when you come to the machine in the morning it doesn't matter if the secondary batteries are drained a little. Your main batteries will still have a full charge and you can fire up without trouble. We did this on several highway tractors and eliminated a whole bunch of call outs to jump start the truck.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

barbender

Ponsse equipment has Webasto preheaters (if I remember right, I haven't had to use mine yet this season :)) Other than the burner needing cleaned periodically, the main problem I have had with them is that on really cold mornings, say less than -20°F, the heater will fire up but go out right away. Another operator told me he has to restrict the air intake to keep his running when it's that cold. So, I tried that and no more troubles. I think the incoming air is too cold and cools the ignitor too much. Once the flame goes out, the computer throws a fault code and it has to be manually reset. I guess maybe I need a preheater for my preheater ;D
Too many irons in the fire

starmac

This one is suppose to stop working if battery voltage drops below 11.7 volts, and will not come back on until they recharge to 12.2 SUPPOSEDLY.
The logger that gave it to me had it on an 08 pete, he installed it when it was new, and I had forgotten about it, but he went the whole winter without a shop, just the webasto and an oil pan heater he wouold plug in when it got too cold for the oil.

Thank You Sponsors!