iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large electric motor

Started by SAnVA, November 03, 2015, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAnVA

My Grandfather had a sawmill & lumberyard business from 1930's-1970's and my father inherited the buildings & property, when my Father passed away it went to my 3 siblings and I. We are in the process of selling the property and are cleaning out some of the buildings. Most all of the sawmill items have been sold in the past and some things have went missing (stolen) along the way also, there is a very large electric motor (stored in the dry, on a cement floor) that was used either to run the sawmill or possibly the planer mill, not sure which, and no one still living that does know. It's a 40HP Western Electric Induction Motor , 60 phase cycles, 220 volts, 97 amp, speed at full load 1165 rpm. It has a 2-1/2 inch shaft and this engine is huge, my question is, would this be of value to someone or send it to the scrapyard, if it is of value other than scrap, what price range (rough idea) hate to scrap something like this, thanks!

sandsawmill14

around here 3 phase motors are worth about $10 per hp (used)  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bandmiller2

SA, if its single phase its well worth saving, if three phase its worth something but not as much. Believe it or not I had a 50hp. single phase motor, it ran a whole cider mill, weighed about half ton. I swapped it for a milling machine or a steam engine can't remember which. When I saw the amp draw it left my diggens fast. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Den-Den

I did not find a 2-1/2" shaft in a list of standard NEMA frame sizes.  If this is a really old non-standard motor, it will be difficult to sell (but will have lots of copper inside for scrap).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

sandsawmill14

a lot of those old motors had huge shafts in them. we have had some of the old gin motors with 4 1/2" shafts before and some odd enough to have to have bushing made at machine shop. if thats the type motor im thinking of it will pull what a new 75 hp will and do it till the bearings go down.  :)

Alligator

Probably 2-7/16.  If it has 100% or 200% overload rating - runs - can be rehaibed without rewinding. I will be worth way more than scrap. Find someone that rewinds motors. They might make you a much more reasonable offer then a scrap dealer.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Wallys World

Give Lloyd Electric in Roanoke a call. They probably can let you know if it is worth anything. I my experience the older motors are not as efficient and a new motor of the same horse power isn't really that expensive. 
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Kbeitz

You stated...60 phase cycles, 220 volts
It should state 60 cycles and a number i or 3 in front of the worg phase.
If it's a 1 then you really got something worth keeping or selling.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ada Shaker

It's only worth something to someone if they can use it. You've got to remember, it's rated at almost 100A,  big bad ass motor, starting currents can be upto 7 times run currents. Probably a gr8 motor, but requires huge wiring and control gear. You really have to ask yourself, if you have no use for a motor this big, then who else will. Perhaps another saw mill will be happy to take it of your hands??? I've worked on many motors over the years, and they don't make them to the quality/standards like the used to. If it's an E class motor it's likely to be dust proof and flame proof, to prevent saw dust getting in and starting a fire.
Try some of the other saw mills in the area would be your best bet, IMHO.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Kbeitz

I would use a pony motor to get that up and running...
You could cut way back on the wireing and starter size...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

hackberry jake

Modern 40hp three phase electric motors draw around 100 amps as well, so I am positive it is a three phase motor. a single phase motor that size would draw closer to 200 amps. And don't let the numbers fool you about modern electric motors being a lot more efficient than the older motors. They have changed how they measure horsepower over the years. Hook a 70 year old motor to a modern motor of the same "horsepower" rating and the older motor is likely to chew up the new motor and spit it back out. It would likely be an excellent motor to use in a rotary phase converter. I know people that build converters say the older motors work better.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandsawmill14

hackberry jake is right about the old motors i installed a 125 hp a couple of years back that weighed 2200 lbs according to shipping invoice in the same building i installed a 150 hp that weighed about 800 lbs  and a 200 hp that only weighed about 950lbs :o guess which  one will run the longest :)

Thank You Sponsors!