iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG'ed Armadillo

Started by Magicman, November 02, 2015, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I noticed some fresh dirt and sure enough, a Dang'ed Armadillo has decided to take up residency underneath the slab of my shop.

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the store and buy a trap.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Well Lynn, there's at least one "plus" to your situation!

It's not a skunk!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Gotta see it first.   :-\

They travel so much and have several burrows so it may be a week or weeks before it comes back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Do they taste like chicken?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Actually my brother brought one in once and Mom cooked it.  I do not remember how it was cooked or how it tasted, and maybe it was just the thought, but that was a "once in a lifetime" for all of us.  :-X

gspren

So I guess no Armadillo crispin at the camp?  :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Banjo picker

Don't touch one of the creatures.  It is true that they can carry leprosy, and that is the primary way humans in the US can get it.  We have to scoop them off the highway on a regular basis, and we make sure not to touch one of them.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

samandothers

Magicman

Yup Tim, Google will yield many hits about Armadillos and Leprosy.

Correct Gary, No Armadillo Crispin.   :o

WV Sawmiller

gspren,

We had some at a wildlife supper in Auburn when I was there (back in he Stone Age) and what I had tasted like good roast pork. (So does smoked camien in the Amazon).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Armadillo and grits  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D   just had to say it     thecfarm would like to try it  :) :)

gfadvm

I never had much luck trapping them as they eat worms and grubs and baiting the trap was the problem (what to use). Let us know how the trapping goes as I have one rooting up my yard and I haven't been able to catch him at it.

Magicman

Quote@thecfarm would like to try it
Don't let Ray fool you.

He already has the GRITS. 

Banjo picker

There is a guy here locally that has problems with them, and he has what looks like an ole fashioned wood rabbit trap, don't know if he baits it of not, but he stakes out a giant V with 1 x 4 s leading up to the trap.  The idea is it rascal will start rooting along and just follow the board until it goes into the trap.  I see the set up in his yard every year or so.  Never got a chance to talk to him about it though.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

That is the only way that I know to trap them.  Sorta lay out a funnel and it will corral itself into the trap.

thecfarm

Sometimes you get a gift from a very nice person and you just don't know what to do with it.  ;D  I will have to pass on both of the mentioned so called food.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

There is a man in Mississippi that makes armadillo traps. My neighbor has caught several of them with the trap. You have to get them out pretty quick because if they poop in it, you will not catch any more in said trap. Some kind of dirt is what they use for bait. They said it works well.
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

Ha, I just googled it. thearmadillotrap.com. it has a video of some of them being caught. After being caught I am sure vitamin .22 is in order.

LaneC

Connibear traps work well too. They will smash them flat. With that hole being there, that is a sure catch, although a wondering dog, cat, coon, possum or any other critter could also be caught, and there is no letting it go after a connibear has done its job.

starmac

I have never tried to funnel one anywhere, but I did funnel one, sorta. I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree watching down a wooded slope for deer, when I heard leaves rustling. For several minutes I kept trying to see around the tree without alerting what ever it was, when I finally noticed the leaves in front of me moving around, it seemed something was under the leaves and came right up between my legs, before poking his head out, it was a young armidillo. lol
I caught lots of them when I was younger, I guess this one decided to catch me. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

Looks like they dug a hole,tunnel? I have woodchunk problems here. When I find a hole like that I use a smoke bomb on it. I tie the tube on to a stick and down the hole it goes. Most times there is and exit hole I need to find first. I put dirt in the hole and if it's dug out I do it again. Sometimes I get lucky and see them go into the hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I use the wire Havahart trap and I have also caught house cats and skunks.  Just let the cats go and take the others for a swim.   :-\

Kbeitz

We dont have Armadillos in Pa. But I lived in Ga. for 5 years.
First time I seen one I had to catch it to look it over.
They sure can make some strange noises when you get a gold on one.
They are kinda slow like our Possums...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

I grew up in Fla and lived in Ala, SC, Ga, etc and every armadillo I ever chased was a lot faster than any possum I knew of. Yours must have been eating too well and had gout.

As to earlier question about animals fouling old style rabbit boxes used to catch a possum in there sometimes and rabbit would not go back in it. Old solution was to smoke them. An easy way to do that was stuff it with dry leaves and set them on fire. Just don't put enough in there to set the box on fire.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!