iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Paulownia Trees

Started by Autocar, November 01, 2015, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

In the last two weeks they started blooming any body know whats going on with them ? Weather is normal fall weather high in the 50's and low 40's and we have had a few frost also. They always bloomed in the spring before the leaves came on
Bill

kensfarm

That's interesting.. fooled by a warm fall?  Cool pictures of diff. uses of the wood if you image search Paulownia wood. 

That also reminded me that the neighbors of our family when we were growing up came to my parents farm this past july.. he wanted to share his research about tomatoes and show me his grove of Paulownia trees he had planted.  I had shown him some pictures of my farm and the sawmill. 

doctorb

I find that pretty interesting.  As a non-forester.....Do trees react to the amount of daylight or the ambient temperature as a signal to bloom?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Autocar

Ive been wondering also with all the rain we had early on slowed the tree down in some way. Or it needed so much sun light before it bloomed, I will say theres not as many blooms as a normal year but just being fall I felt that it was interesting.
Bill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

This past week I noticed crape myrtles and azaleas blooming here.  Crape myrtles normally begin to bloom here around father's day and azaleas bloom to let you know the springtime bass fishing is in full swing.  I also saw some peach trees blooming(a bit early for them too).
Caveman
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

After the very wet spring in Missouri it stopped raining in August and nothing substantial returned until into October. There are a lot of trees that put on a spring-like growth flush after that rain.

In some parts of Mexico they withhold water from apple trees until the leaves fall off. When the water comes back the trees think it is spring and they bloom and can produce apples during the off (and high priced) season.

What was your late season rainfall like?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!