Sponsors:

Wasington state in the news

Started by flatsawyer, October 01, 2004, 02:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatsawyer

Well the USGS was right Mt St Helens did do something it blew it's
nose with some steam & ash.

BW_Williams

Hey flatsawyer, welcome to the forum.  You must be the nearest forumite to me.  Like your handle, fits if'n your from Zillah.  What kind of mill do you have, do you saw mostly yard trees?  Did you live there in '80? Now that was an eruption!  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

flatsawyer

Was born in Toppenish been here most all of my life.This one is nothing like the first eruption halaluya. So far have been cutting birch,spruce & maple.The mill is just a Norwood 2000 I've had for about a year. When I get my trailer finished I'll be making trips to the local mill. They have some fir & pine logs for the taking. I've been enjoying reading the forum for some time just don't post . Alot of good people and good advice here.

Gilman

I've been through Zillah quite a few times, I just didn't know it until I just looked it up on a map.

Welcome to the Forrum
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

flatsawyer

Thanks Gilman, if you blink you'll miss Zillah.

Gilman

Flatsawyer,
You have any plans on heading south about 20 miles and sawing some of those pine trees?

I have a friend that is going to build a cabin somewhere between Goldendale and Maryhill.  I'll probably be taking my mill up there and help him out.  Don't know when they are going to start it, might be a year or two.  Should be fun though.

Bruce_A

Gilman; are you taking the logs to the site too.  I don't recall any tree large enough to cut between Goldendale and Maryhill, except maybe something from a windbreak. :) :)

Gilman

The guy said they had plenty of timber, so they must be up in the mountains.  I haven't been to their property, but was just told the general area for me to estimate mileage.

flatsawyer

Gilman if you need some help just give me a shout. What mill do you run?  My norwood don't have wheels but it fits on my trailer ok. Your friend must live closer to Goldendale than Maryhill. I'm like Bruce not much near Maryhill. St. Helens is giving us a little ashing this morning.

Gilman

Just try and think of that ash as just a little non melting snow :D

When they get closer to having me go up there I'll give you a jingle.  I'm running a WM40 Super.

Bruce_A

Gilman;  I grew up in Lyle and Klickitat county.  I still go down frequently to see what is going on.  South of Goldendale is slim for trees.  Have to go towards Glenwood, Troutlake, Toppenish and other reservation ground to see much timber.  Bickelton to the river is slim to none for timber,  and that includes Roosevelt, Maryhill, Wishram, etc.  Sometimes go to The Dalles or Troutlake for lunch.  Will holler if you would like to go sometime.    Bruce

Gilman

I'll holler for sure.

I'll have to stop him the next time he drives by my house (he works for the city and goes by about 5 times/day) and find out where there property is. Heck, know me, he could have said Spokane and I translated it to Goldendale.  ::)

Stephen_Wiley

You fellas wait a few more days and St. Helens may blow a bunch of stumpage your way. :D :D :D

Ifn we were all smart , might be investing in carbide blades for those *ash logs !  

* This does NOT denote the species.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Bruce_A

Made a run to The Dalles today to do a favor for a buddy.  Looked again east of the bridge junction and saw very few trees.  But what a pretty country if you like the rolling hills leading up to high desert along the gorge.

Gilman

Here's a image of Biggs Junction, I don't see any trees either. They must be north quite a bit.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=15&x=104&y=790&z=10&w=1

Well, I must be a opportunty driver.  I must only remember the good parts of long drives.  I must have seen the pine trees further north.  Isn't there some old farm houses near, or at, the mountains that have old wagons and stuff in their yards?  How far north are the mountains from the Columbia river?

Here they are, finally found them.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=3391&y=25441&z=10&w=1

Bruce_A

You start climbing right from the river.  

Thank You Sponsors!