iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processor bars.

Started by BargeMonkey, October 30, 2015, 10:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I know alot of you guys on here have a processor, most likely running .80 chain. How many cord are you getting to a bar ??? I've got a bar grinder that we use religiously and I'm getting about 100cord to a bar. You guys getting about the same ?

1270d

I know its not a firewood processor, but on my harvester I see 40000 + cuts before they re worn out of spec.   Grind them maybe 2 or 3 times and tighten the rails.

Best so far was 17000 something before I even flipped it.

BargeMonkey

Wait... your processor counts how many times the bars cut ? Hi-tech right there.  :D. Imy just wondering, I do cut alot of nasty hardwood, alot of beech and hard maple, hickory, not exactly prime wood. We grind the bar the second it wears the rails real heavy, just 100 cord doesn't seem like alot for the price of the bar.

1270d

It counts pieces of wood cut, the actual cut number is higher due to doubles and limbs.

wannaergo

100 cords per bar doesn't sound right.. I run a 3/4 bar and chain, and usually get a month out of a bar before we grind them. We usually grind them a couple times before we scrap them. A month is around 1000 cords or a little better, so around 3000 cords per bar.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on October 30, 2015, 10:11:46 PM
I know its not a firewood processor, but on my harvester I see 40000 + cuts before they re worn out of spec.   Grind them maybe 2 or 3 times and tighten the rails.

Best so far was 17000 something before I even flipped it.

I usually get my bar stuck in a maple clump and turned into a pretzel long before that many cuts.  For $65 I don't spend a lot of time and effort trying to save one.  New bars with a new chain cut so much nicer.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Gary_C

I'm with Ken on this. I seem to find many ways to turn a bar into a pretzel shape long before it wears out. Usually for me it's clearing those DanG leaning boxelders. But maple and basswood clumps are evil too.

That being said, I have also noticed more problems with nose sprockets lately. What makes a nose sprocket failure particularly annoying is when the chain gets stuck, it can do a lot of damage to drive sprockets as well and those drive sprockets are not cheap. With a nose sprocket failure you usually get to toss all three things, drive sprocket, bar and chain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

I'm like Gary and Ken I usually pretzel the bar in a soft maple or basswood clump long before I completely wear a bar out. This will probably jinx myself but the bar currently on the processor has cut close 1000 cord and still going strong.  :D

1270d

I go in spells.   Might get as many as a couple thousand cord without a hitch, then bend two or three in a week.  That was last week so hopefully have that out of the way for a while.   
Anymore I have been twisting them by hitting the bar with a pigs ear or conk when feeding.   Bends one side and not the other.   
Ken where do you pick up bars for 65$?

landscraper

I just filed a little burr off my bar after the first 75 cords or so through my firewood processor - appears to have plenty of life left.  I picked up a spare 64cm Oregon bar from the local saw shop for $82.00.  My logs have never been skidded, very little dirt. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

barbender

I'm not but a forwarder operator, but if you are only getting 100 cords per bar, something is wrong. If you bend them, that's not the bar's fault ;D BM, is this your firewood processor, or your Timbco? I think you would expect far fewer cords on the firewood processor, you are making 5X as many cuts per cord l, and dealing with dirtier wood more than likely.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

On my firewood processor. Not to much dirty wood. 100-120 cord and the bar is toast. Good chain, good sprocket, grind the rails when appropriate, they just refuse to cut. Only turned 1 timbco bar into a complete pretzel in 4 yrs, most time bend them back.

1270d

Is the bar oil not getting dispersed into the chain or something?   I would think you would use 5 gallons of bar oil or more to process 100 cords of firewood.. Thats jist a guess based on the fact i use around 2-2.5 gallons per 100 cd through the harvester.

Chain too loose or too tight can wear as well

millcreek40

I just changed the bar on my processor . The one that was on it was about used up when I got it. I cut around 400 cord with it & still would be running it if my helper didn't bend it. It's 3/4" chain. I think your not getting enough oil
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Mapleman

My firewood processor has a 3/4 pitch bar and chain and I've gotten about 600 cords on the new bar so far and it's still cutting fine and   shows only a little wear.  I flipped the bar at around 500 cords.  I'd guess I could run at least 1500 cords before it needs to be replaced.  My wood is generally pretty clean, but I do get a muddy load every so often.   I get about 10 cords of wood for a gallon of oil. 
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

BargeMonkey

Plenty of oil, oil holes are cleaned every few cord when I flip / grind the bar. They just only live so long then quit working right, 6 a yr isn't to bad but still.

North River Energy

Have you verified that the bar is swinging 'true' and not off one side on account of pivot wear?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: North River Energy on November 06, 2015, 09:02:09 PM

Have you verified that the bar is swinging 'true' and not off one side on account of pivot wear?
Unfortunately yes, I know it's spot on because I just put a new arbor and banjo box on the machine due to someone smashing the arbor. I'm not the only one, friend of our has a valley processor and is doing the same thing, 100ish cord and throw the bar away.

North River Energy

So are the rails spreading, or simply wearing down too fast/unevenly?  Is feed rate adjustable?
Are you and your friend with the Valley running the same brand of b&c oil?

GRANITEstateMP

I'm about 100 -150 cord per bar on my little Hakki Pilke 1x37.  Same as Barge Monkey was saying just kinda quit and are all done???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on November 01, 2015, 05:26:28 PM
Ken where do you pick up bars for 65$?

The local Ponsse dealer.  I haven't checked my slips from the last bar purchases but I know a bar and chain was around $85-90.  There are local contractors who never sharpen chains.  Their philosophy is that if it takes 10 minutes to sharpen a chain and their machine makes $150-300/hour it is far more cost effective to put a new $20 chain on and keep cutting.   I have a hard time throwing dull chains away but now today I have a bunch that need sharpening. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!