iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oldies but Goodies

Started by larry1, October 30, 2015, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry1

Hi guys , cleaning my shop today and thought I would share a few pics. 

2100 H , 850 Mac , 61 H , mini homelite , mini super homelite , missing is my 55 H , and 2150 Jonsred .

All them old relic saws L.O.L. are still running good !!!

HolmenTree

Very nice collection Larry but tell more about your good looking Pontiac in the background.  :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

larry1

Do you mean that 66 2dr. post 389 tri power  4spd . It belongs to my brother who is a collector of old cars etc.

He has owned it for 30 years and it's ready for a restoration , but it's still a good runner .

HolmenTree

Very nice car Larry.
I have a fondness for Pontiacs. I bought one from a logging foremen from Thunder Bay,Ontario in 1975.
It was a 1970 formula 400 with a Ram Air IV  bored out to 448c.i. and a M22 4 speed.
It was originally red with Rat Killer on the doors when he drag raced it in Thunder Bay. Then later painted black with a white LT1 hood scoop and Crager SS mags .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

slider

Holmen tree beat me to the nice goat,rats.
al glenn

larry1

In 1970 they still had good compresion , but in 73 it was all over . That  rock crusher M22 tranny could be heard for miles . Pontiac made good cars and are family has always bought GM . In fact they say the first muscle car that came out of Detoit was a 64 GTO .

sawguy21

That M-22 had a definite whine. ;D I drove a friend's 455 Trans Am once. Got a ticket, that thing was FAST. It wouldn't run worth a darn below 90 mph in fourth. ;D
Back to the original topic, that is a nice collection of saws. Keep 'em coming.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Quote from: larry1 on October 30, 2015, 09:19:11 PM
In 1970 they still had good compresion , but in 73 it was all over . That  rock crusher M22 tranny could be heard for miles . Pontiac made good cars and are family has always bought GM . In fact they say the first muscle car that came out of Detoit was a 64 GTO .

Debatable...'62 Chevy 409 SS Impala/4sp. Some models even had the rare aluminum front ends....for the track. It was in '64 that GM but their faux ban on street racing their cars. That's all Mopar needed and by the late 60's they were serious street machines to be had. But those early 409's were very classy sleds.

What's the "H" designation on the 2100? They were either CD or XP...your XP cover doesn't match and so I'm guessing the OE cover(CD) was replaced with that along the line....

Kevin

larry1

Yes 409 were  good engines with tons of torque .
The  H  only means Husky --sorry , and the 2100 is  all original  except for the missing chain break handle that got broke and was never replaced  -- can't find one around here .

Husky also made a 3000 series but I forgot the exact numbers -- 3120 maybe ?

sawguy21

The 3120 is the latest and likely the last of Husky's big dawgs. That 2100 was a lot of saw and a real knuckle buster without a compression release.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: larry1 on October 31, 2015, 03:26:55 AM
Yes 409 were  good engines with tons of torque .
The  H  only means Husky --sorry , and the 2100 is  all original  except for the missing chain break handle that got broke and was never replaced  -- can't find one around here .

Husky also made a 3000 series but I forgot the exact numbers -- 3120 maybe ?

The 3120 yes, came out to replace the 2101XP...actually two saws it took to do that; the 3120XP and the 394XP. You sure that AF cover is original(?)...doesn't match the rest of the saw's plastics.

The 3120 has been a saw that was de-tuned via the EPA regs. It was unmolested in the beginning, then around '97 they put in a reduced rpm module and eventually, they deleted the HS jet for adjustment. So Bailey's sell the full rpm module as a replacement and then as far as the carbs go, folks usually try to find the ones that still had the HS jet tuners. I've also heard of some machinists altering the carbs so that they can install the HS jet again...expensive.   

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 31, 2015, 12:05:16 PM
The 3120 is the latest and likely the last of Husky's big dawgs. That 2100 was a lot of saw and a real knuckle buster without a compression release.

Well, it depends on what you're used to. It(2100) was a near perfect saw from the day they started to arrive in the PNW. If you complained about the weight or starting one, you were a EDITED BY ADMIN and laughed off the show. I was using a 075 when I saw the first 2100...IMO, the 2100 was a better saw in almost every way. They were just tools to us and we bought another when we started to lose compression or had internal trouble. You couldn't afford to have a saw down when you were trying to make production scale. Usually we had another reasonable runner 2100 as a back-up saw when fallin'. Eventually when the scale started to get smaller for us, I turned to J'red for my back-up, bullet proof saws.....but always had a 2100/2101 as a front runner.

Kevin

sawguy21

I hear what you are saying. I started in a Stihl shop in 1975, most of our customers were running 051AV's, some 075's and 090's, in the bush depending where they were working. Absolute brutes by today's standards but that is what I learned on. My last job before retirement was with an Oregon distributor, sales of long bars and .404 chain had dropped to almost nothing so not many big saws out there anymore.

larry1

You are probably right about that not being the proper cover . I bought the saw new in 1987 -88 and did loan it out on occasion and never paid much attention to it upon return, except for the broken chain brake handle . My buddy said he had to throw the saw clear and make a run for it when his tree was falling out of control --never did replace the handle . 

Back then, both my brother and I threw the saw to start it with no decompression , but today it would stay on the ground L.O.L.

Real1shepherd

I actually did both;drop started it and foot started. Depended on who was looking, how tired I was and if I was wearing caulk boots...lol.

That 075 was a brute alright...had a six ft bar on it. This old guy(like I am now, lol) who was teaching me fallin', put a 2100 in my hands to try. Since i wasn't really partial to anything at that point, the 2100 just seemed to be better all around than the 075. Never owned a Stihl again, but became very affectionate for the larger J'reds....except the 111S....never had the pleasure. I still run a 2100 today for custom work and I guess because of muscle memory, I do just fine with it. But my two default saws are the J'red 80 & 90. No doubt some folks think there are better, more modern saws out there. But like they say about opinions....

Never had a chain brake on a saw either, or one that came that way.

Kevin

larry1

Never owned a Stil , but I skidded for my chum whom was 72 and fell with a 064 . Fastest saw I ever seen at the time , and he was in good shape . Would carry the saw on shoulder and fell for 1/2 of day, so we would be done by noon . He cut his own land and only the veneer logs . This was about 15 years ago when the scale was good and #1 oak paid $1650
/1000 bf .

Real1shepherd

Hope I can still fall at that age.....hope is a fickle thing though...lol

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!