iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is is JUST me or...

Started by 2StateTrigger, October 30, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2StateTrigger

am I noticing a ton of Wood Mizer mills here at FF?

I'm a noob who's looking to get into the biz part-time.  I'm still reading tons and tons of material regarding the industry and I still have yet to decide which trailerable mill I'm wanting to get.  I'm kinda leaning towards the TimberKing but for some reason or another I'm not seeing much of a showing here or hearing many solid TimberKing Customer reviews on their mills.

Is there something bad about the TK mill that I'm missing?

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations that you may have would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

JB
Molon Labe

Tom the Sawyer

Very happy with my Timberking mill and their service.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

I would say that it has much to do with numbers.  Wood-Mizer started manufacturing in the early 80's and I read that they had manufactured more sawmills than all of the other manufacturers combined.  Someone probably can supply the approximate number.

The cantilever design allows for superb log handling, but they still offer the 4 post design on the smaller sawmills.  As with any sawmill manufacturer, factory support and service is a key element to their success.  I feel that all of the sawmill manufacturers that are sponsors here on the FF are winners.  Jeff chooses carefully.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

vfauto

Very Happy with my 1600 that I just sold and ordered a new 2000.If you read into the post maybe sawers are not having issues with Timber King mills so they have no need to post.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

bkaimwood

I narrowed my search down to TK and WM when looking for a new mill...customer support, and servicing dealer location determined my final choice, WM!!! Customer service second to none...very happy with mine!!! Outstanding reps like Marty seal the deal!!
bk

xlogger

I got my TK used and they have been great to me, just like I got it new. Top customer service. It's easy to work on and not really lots of problems, mostly my fault when something goes wrong with it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Kingmt

I have no idea about ether of them. I talked to one of the guys at Left Coast Supply tho & found their customer support great.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

WV Sawmiller

2State,

I love my WM but the general feeling I get from the other members here on the FF is they all get good support from the sponsor companies they got their respective mills. I'd bet if you talk to most any member/owner about his mill and showed him some features of similar competitor mills you'd hear them say "I love my mill but I would like to have that _____ feature from ____ too."

Heck, there are other features on other WM mills I'd love too but for my first mill I am well pleased with mine as a starter/intermediate mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

I had the opportunity to see the TK and WM side by side at the Southeastern AG Expo.  I liked both and both staff were very professional.  I chose WM mainly because I liked the salesman, I got a discount for ordering that day and the dealer was within 100 miles of home and I could go pick it up and save on shipping. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Quote from: 2StateTrigger on October 30, 2015, 05:48:29 PM
am I noticing a ton of Wood Mizer mills here at FF?

I'm a noob who's looking to get into the biz part-time.  I'm still reading tons and tons of material regarding the industry and I still have yet to decide which trailerable mill I'm wanting to get.  I'm kinda leaning towards the TimberKing but for some reason or another I'm not seeing much of a showing here or hearing many solid TimberKing Customer reviews on their mills.

Is there something bad about the TK mill that I'm missing?

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations that you may have would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

JB

And as I see it, over several years of reading threads here, that they all will saw lumber from logs equally as well if the operator knows how to operate and keep everything adjusted right, and keeps a sharp band running.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

very satisfied with my timberking b20 and the customer service they provided over the last year. sawn over 300,000 bd ft (would have to through my books to see just how many bd ft) so far and i am well pleased  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

GDinMaine

I went with Wood-Mizer, because that is what I found used in very good shape. Also, the nearest Timber King dealer was three state away. Go with the brand that is most convenient for you.  In the end you will have the same shape lumber.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

2StateTrigger

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have replied.....Surprised to see so many replies so soon....

If  you havent personally replied please do (especially if you have relative subject matter) as it is always nice to hear from others who have personal experience.....

Molon Labe

deepsouth.us

I currently run a TK, and it's served my needs quite well to this point. Only trouble I had was with guide bearings, but that turned out to be my fault. When I call timberking with a question, or an order a real person answers the phone. No button pushing, nor option choosing. Also, the folks on the other end of the phone are quite helpful.

However, I'm now looking to sell my TK, and upgrade to a portable mill of the higher production persuasion. I find myself looking at WM primarily because of the same reasons Magicman mentioned. They're are more used WM's on the market to choose from than the other brands. In fact there is a handful of the same model for sale all within 2 hours of me. Also, I've spent a great deal of time lurking around this forum and elsewhere. I don't believe I can go wrong with a WM.
Timberking 2000

dgdrls

Good morning,

Yes lots of orange and red owners here on the forum and for good reasons.

If you haven't already, you need to test drive both and talk face to face with
the reps at the shop you would buy from, that may help seal the deal.

Not to complicate your decision but  Just a couple questions if I may,
have you given all the mill builders who support the FF a good look?
have you considered a circle style mill?

Best
Dan

rooster 58

Yup. Big orange has a song following here. But the tk and some others are very good too.

John S

Is that the same Pagosa Springs made famous by C.W. McCall in his 1970's country recording of Wolf Creek Pass?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 2StateTrigger.

I'm very happy with my 1995 Wood-Mizer LT40 Hydraulic.

It was 13 years old when I bought it from FF member petefrom bearswamp in 2008.

When I need parts or otherwise have questions, I get the same service as if I had just bought a shiny new one!

As others have said, all of the sawmill manufacturers listed on the left offer good products and service or they wouldn't be listed here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

2StateTrigger

Quote from: John S on October 31, 2015, 08:41:39 AM
Is that the same Pagosa Springs made famous by C.W. McCall in his 1970's country recording of Wolf Creek Pass?

John S, I believe it is due to the close proximity of each other.  Wolf Creek is just down the road from Pagosa Springs (about 30 minute drive).....

Absolutely  B E A U T I F U L  country out that way....CANT WAIT to get back....
Molon Labe

beenthere

Have a chilling recollection of a fast ride down Wolf Creek Pass the summer of 1961 in a Plymouth Station Wagon being driven by a crew member who turned out to be an amateur (or wannabe) race car driver. Every switchback was taken in a sideways slide with acceleration coming out of the slide. At the time, as a young kid, it was great and exciting fun as we made it eventually to Pagosa Springs (about another 25-30 miles).
Upon reflection, it was a harrowing experience that I lived through and could easily been my last ever experience.
Since that time, the hairpin switchbacks have been modified for a lot safer travel, but still an experience to drive. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ScottInCabot

I'm staying with the one that brought me to the dance....

I started in the 'milling area' the hard way, chainsaw milling.  Very hard laborious work, low on enjoyment value as I was generally too exhausted to have fun at the end of the day...then moving those heavy slabs after, eck.  Purchased an LT-10 with 10hp, and it paid for itself and then a LOT of other 'toys' after.
Having had great service from the LT-10 for four years, when it was time to upgrade....the LT-28 seemed like the way for me to go!

Would I buy a different brand mill?  Sure...when it comes down to it, they all get you to the end result you want.  Flat lumber, flitches, or slabs from a log with very little effort.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

customsawyer

I think it is a Ford, Dodge, Chevy type of argument.
I grew up in Co. on the other end of Wolf Creek pass from Pagosa Springs. I always loved the song by C.W. McCall but he put the tunnel on the wrong side of the pass.  :D It did make the song better though.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

coppolajc10

2statetrigger, have you operated any mill?  I hadn't prior to buying mine, did my research (primarily through this forum) and decided a b-20 was a good fit for my goals and my budget.  I have an unrelated full time job and saw when I can for extra business, I've sawn around 20 mbf with it over the past 18 months and haven't regretted my decision yet.  TK reps have been great, but haven't had to call them very often.  smiley_thumbsup The only experience I have with WM is buying their bands and owning a WM drag sharpener ... and my experience with WM has been equally as good.  For me, as I suspect with many others, this forum has contributed more to my success than the particular mill I chose.  :) Good luck with your search!

thecfarm

I bet I looked and dreamed for 10 years before I bought a mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Percy

Research till you are satisfied(blue in the face) that you have a grasp of what you need from a mill and the mill you hope to buy, meets those needs. Depending on how into it you get, those needs could change so plan an exit strategy for the mill you havent bought yet....that sounds kinda stupid reading back....but....I bought the wrong mill right off the bat and suffered for six years till I got what I needed....12 years and 9500 hours later, Im still satisfied.....doesnt matter to you, what I bought cause your needs are different than mine... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

If time and an opportunity permits, actually putting your hands on various sawmill brands would be the answer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2015, 10:53:47 AM
Since that time, the hairpin switchbacks have been modified for a lot safer travel, but still an experience to drive.

Well how so, old timer?  lol
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

From a once 2 lane highway, to a whole different highway now..  the one in Colorado.   

Read about it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Creek_Pass

And a quote
QuoteOne of the most infamous hills is Wolf Creek Pass, at 10,850 feet, where U.S. 160 crosses the Continental Divide through southern Colorado's San Juan Mountains. "I remember old Wolf Creek Pass, before it became an eight-lane highway," says Flying J company driver Dan Galligan of Pomona, Calif. "Back in the late '60s it was two very narrow lanes of tight curves – not quite switchbacks, but tight nonetheless." Other hills demand your close attention, he says, "but none compares to the old Wolf Creek Pass."
south central Wisconsin

4x4American

I would like to drive it one day, maybe if I go visit my sister in Warshington
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!