iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slipping clutch

Started by nektreeworks, October 30, 2015, 05:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nektreeworks

Hello everyone. I just bought a Mcculloch pro Mac 700 over the summer. I brought it home and got everything cleaned up on it and went to go try it out. I got it started up and the chain was spinning fine. But when I went and put it to wood the chain stopped but the saw continued running at WOT like it had been when I put it to the wood. I looked at the clutch and the drum felt very loose and wobbled a bunch. I assumed that it was missing the needle bearing which would cause the excessive wobble. But when I removed the clutch I found the needle bearing was in fact still there. I'm not sure what to look for on the clutch to figure out if that is the issue and I was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions as what to do to fix it. Thank you all,
        Riley

Grandedog

Howdy,
   The clutch and drum can become glazed. When you look at the surface of the drum where the clutch engages, if you see your reflection it's glazed. Take some emory cloth and rough the surfaces of the clutch and drum.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

nektreeworks

Thank you very much for your advice! I went out last night and sanded the clutch drum a little bit and tried it this afternoon! Works like a charm, although a little rough on the hands haha

larry1

Glad your mach is good to go !  When I  was a rookie I  cut firewood with an 850, thought the clutch was shot so I brought it in to have it replaced , cost me a small fortune , wish I knew about the deglazing like you did . That same saw is in my post under "Oldies but Goodies and it's been so long since I cut with it , can't remember if it boiled the gas or not because it does have the gas tank on top . But I  do remember that it cut good with lots of torque but lacked rpm like todays saws .

Thank You Sponsors!