iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opening day tommorow!!!

Started by Woodhauler, October 30, 2015, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Resident only deer season for firearms start tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! Heading to my little hunting camp for the start of the season! Its only a short distance from my house, but it overlooks a 5 acre field I built. Will be watching field at first light.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

WV Sawmiller

WH,

Good luck to you. I hope you get a big one. More importantly I hope you stay safe and have a great time in the woods.

Some of my best hunts I never shot at anything. Some of my worst happened when I did kill something.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rooster 58

Good luck Woodhauler ;) Shoot a big one 8)

Magicman

We are three weeks away from our "gun opener", but then it stays open until the end of January.  My Grandson is seeing some good bucks.  He has taken a couple of archery does, but is passing on the smaller bucks.  Sadly he has been plagued with 8 wild horses.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Quote from: Magicman on October 31, 2015, 09:26:07 AM
We are three weeks away from our "gun opener", but then it stays open until the end of January.  My Grandson is seeing some good bucks.  He has taken a couple of archery does, but is passing on the smaller bucks.  Sadly he has been plagued with 8 wild horses.

Unclear what this means. Are horses messing up Grandson's hunting areas or is too involved trying to catch or train them or something? I thought I saw an earlier thread where you had mentioned wild (Abandoned?) horses in the area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes, we have herds of abandoned horses that roam at will, and will eat food plots down to the ground.  If they see or smell you they are gone in a cloud of dust.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Magic you need to tell him to just mount up  :D, I've had more deer just look in bewilderment at me when riding, they don't seem to know what we are.  Or you could do like my late neighbor used to say, "oh yeah they ride out all the way into the hills, find a deer, get off and shoot it, then go try to catch the horses"  :D.  Seriously though that's too bad about them all the way around.

Magicman

Yup, when the pet food demand evaporated, the horse market fell, and the locals opened their gates.   :-\

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on October 31, 2015, 04:46:38 PM
Yes, we have herds of abandoned horses that roam at will, and will eat food plots down to the ground.  If they see or smell you they are gone in a cloud of dust.

What, :o  Horses too . I know about the pigs, but horses out lose. 
It sounds like a free for all down there. Where's the law?
Don't the fish and game round them up?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Law??  :o  The City Mayor in a nearby town is who let them loose.

gfadvm

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 31, 2015, 09:14:30 PM
Quote from: Magicman on October 31, 2015, 04:46:38 PM

What, :o  Horses too . I know about the pigs, but horses out lose. 
It sounds like a free for all down there. Where's the law?
Don't the fish and game round them up?

It is estimated that there are 100,000 unwanted horses in the US every year. When the slaughter plants were closed down, people just started turning them loose. It is a big problem nation wide, not just in the South. Ranchers here are having to lock their gates to prevent people turning horses loose in their pastures. Very sad.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 31, 2015, 09:14:30 PMDon't the fish and game round them up?
Horses are not game animals.  The sheriff has jurisdiction, but no interest because no actual law has been broken.

Peter Drouin

Things here in the northeast are so different from the southern states.
We just don't put up with things like that. If someone lets a horse go up here it would starve in the winter, then the law would go looking for the owner.
We jail people who mistreat their pets or livestock.

Good luck Woodhauler. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandhills

Peter, even around here it would be very hard for any type of law enforcement to do, very few horses are branded, usually just the higher dollar ones, which wouldn't be turned out, so going after the owner might be a mute point they'd just claim it got out and went missing anyway.  Back on track now, how's the hunting going Woodhauler?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sandhills on November 01, 2015, 09:24:36 AM
Peter, even around here it would be very hard for any type of law enforcement to do, very few horses are branded, usually just the higher dollar ones, which wouldn't be turned out, so going after the owner might be a mute point they'd just claim it got out and went missing anyway.  Back on track now, how's the hunting going Woodhauler?

Just call the loco farrier. They know all the horses around. ;D
Sorry Woodhauler for the side step.
Hope you get a big one. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Woodhauler

seen 2 does,3 lambs and a crotch horn buck all in the field Saturday morning. Let him live another day
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

gspren

When I hunted Maine I was surprised they have a separate opening day for residents only. I usually hunted the second or third week so it didn't matter but do any other states have an opener just for residents?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandhills

Yesterday was our opening day for firearm season, my sister and bil have 4 permits with their kids all hunting now, 2 of which are youth and have to be accompanied by an adult.  The youngest got a nice little 4x4 opening day, after seeing what he was shooting (243 with a bull barrel), the distance, and how they made his shooting sticks I have to say I'm mighty proud of him, perfect shot  :).  I got pictures but thanks to moving (a long time ago now) I still can't keep track of where the cord for my camera is  ::).

Woodhauler

Well I got a crotch horn Tuesday, cut it up tonite! Nice fat little deer. ;D

Magicman

Our rifle opener is next Saturday and the season remains open in some fashion until the end of January.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Woodhauler on November 15, 2015, 09:15:48 PM

Congratulations Woodhauler but what is a crotch horn?

I took a doe in bow season 2 weeks ago. She wasn't standing quite right and just stood there and let me take her. Come to find out she had been arrowed through the hind quarter and it looked bad! Most of the ham was black. The rest of the meet smelled, looked and tastes fine.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on November 16, 2015, 12:20:46 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on November 15, 2015, 09:15:48 PM

Congratulations Woodhauler but what is a crotch horn?

I took a doe in bow season 2 weeks ago. She wasn't standing quite right and just stood there and let me take her. Come to find out she had been arrowed through the hind quarter and it looked bad! Most of the ham was black. The rest of the meet smelled, looked and tastes fine.

crotch-horn = 2X2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Must be what we call a fork horn. Congrats, as they are good eating. 

Different strokes, different folks... (old saying)

Between son and I, our bow season brought in 5 deer.. two 8 pt bucks and 3 doe.
Still gun season coming up this Sat. for 9 days.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah, I see, we call them 4 points.

WV gun season starts thanksgiving week.

Maryland bow season stays in till the end of January.
They still allow you to harvest unlimited does in my region.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Scott

We can't take fork-horns in our area. Antlers have to be 3 points on a side for ist buck and second one allowed must be 4 points on a side. Had to pass on another nice forked buck again today.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!