iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframe short course in upper midwest????

Started by woodworker9, October 30, 2015, 12:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend or know of a TF short course ( a week or so...) that is available soon in the upper Midwest.  I live in Northern Illinois, and would love to find a class in Wisconsin, but Minnesota or Michigan would work, too, if need be.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  I'm interested in building an upcoming shop as a TF, and would like some "hands-on" learning and Q&A before hand.  I've read a couple of the books, but I do my best learning hands-on.

Thanks.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

beenthere

Among others, but @Rooster may know what is coming up, if anything.

He is a timber framer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodworker9

Just to add.....

If the midwest has nothing going, then can someone recommend a good course......anywhere?  I'll travel if I have to.

Thanks.

beenthere

Try the Timber Framers Guild.. for some places. @Jim_Rogers may be a good source too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

I tried to find a list of course in our (Timber Framer Guild) monthly newsletter but I didn't see anything right away.
I'll have to search for more.
Right now for this winter, I only know of one school that will have a class, and that is in VT.
There are schools in the upper midwest, I just don't know their schedules.

I'll email someone who may know and if he replies I'll get back to you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Here is a direct link to the scheduled timber framing classes at that school.

http://www.northhouse.org/courses/courses/coursesbytheme.cfm/tid/15

This link was sent to me by the teacher Peter Henrikson

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

woodworker9

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the information.  I'll be checking into it.

Rooster

Sorry Guys, I have been away for a while..

I am currently working on a oak frame addition in southern Wisconsin, but it is not set up as a class project...

We could have people interested stop out and get a crash course, and even take a ride on the boring machine...

If I hear of anything else, I will post it to the board...

Peace, Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

flyingparks

In beautiful Lebanon, Tennessee! October 1-7. His workshops always sell out. I cannot stress how informative this class was for me when I was cutting my first joints. Scott Stevens is a wonderful teacher and a very great guy. http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com

woodworker9

Quote from: Rooster on May 01, 2017, 02:23:01 PM
Sorry Guys, I have been away for a while..

I am currently working on a oak frame addition in southern Wisconsin, but it is not set up as a class project...

We could have people interested stop out and get a crash course, and even take a ride on the boring machine...

If I hear of anything else, I will post it to the board...

Peace, Rooster

Rooster

I would love an opportunity to come up and see your project, and learn whatever you're willing to share.  I'm about 30 minutes south of Lake Geneva, but if it's in Wisconsin, I really don't care much about how far away.

You can send me a message, or email me at planemaker9@gmail.com, if that's more convenient.  I look forward to hearing from you.

The Northhouse class looks great, but I could not get in.  They were sold out for the class that would have made sense with my schedule.  Thanks for posting that though, Jim. 

jander3

Woodworker 9,

Working with a friend and we may start up a basic class in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin.  I should have the details in a few weeks. We will probably do a test weekend in June or July and make up a couple of sets of sawhorses and beam horses.

If things go well, in the fall we will likely hold a 5 day beginner small building class.

Email me if you are interested in the details of this project as we work them up.

Jon Anderson
jon60anderson@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!