iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me with a line laser

Started by br549, October 29, 2015, 10:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br549

I'm not really up some of the newer advances in technology yet. Our mill sets under a canopy of trees that gives constant shade and a breeze to blow thru. I would like to have a laser to shoot the cut of the band blade showing when I go to slab off a lumpy log. I've seen videos where they're be used but personally haven't been able to find any information on them or even where to look for them at.  So if some of you that has added your own I'd like to see and hear so I can feel more smarter. I mentioned the tree canopy because I do know sun light will fade the laser lines. Thanks men and maybe women.

Geeg

I bought my laser last month and will try to get it installed next week. I purchased a green line 50mw laser shown here http://www.apinex.com/ret2/BES532-L.html .

I tested it during the day while it was sunny and could see the line just fine but being 50mw, I would be careful of others that are around the mill due to the power it puts out.

I also bought the wire to feed it through the energy chain and have a momentary switch that I plan on connecting it to. Will post some pics when I get it operational.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

br549

Ok thanks Geeg. You must have been waiting for me to post that because of the quick response. I seen that one is $79. Is that the going rate? Are you gonna mount to the blade guide holder somehow? Or I should just say how and where will you mount it? Also you mentioned buying a.  ,chain? Or something for it. How does it get it's power supplied? It would probably be used when setting up a new log and turned off after the first cut. I hate wasting anything and when I cut a slab to thick I know we're tossing lumber. When I cut to thin a slab I know that's a waisted cut on a blade and the fuel to cut it. A laser seems as tho it will save a,lot of waist but speed each new log set up as well. Thanks. Oh I'd like to see any lasers and how you fellows are setting them up.

Geeg

Mine was a 50mw so I think the price was $100 and that is Canadian so for you it should be about 30% less assuming you live south of the border. I also bought this mounting bracket http://www.apinex.com/ret2/BRA.html

I bought some outdoor cable to run it through the energy chain which holds all the hydraulic hoses and other electrical wires for the mill, it looks like this

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Kbeitz

I'm just now building one for my mill.
I got my Laser off E-bay.  Search for ....

MILITARY 5MW Green Laser Pointer Pen 532nm Lazer High Power Powerful Beam Light

Less than $5.00
My lazer will fit in a angle iron tray that rotates side to side.
This is one Brite light. It's so brite that it leaves a green line in the sky at night. Not a toy.
I bought 5 for $18.35 free shipping....
The hardest part is mounting this on the mill so it's not in the way and it needs a very stiff bracket
that wont move.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Kbeitzy, I have a regular sawmill laser mounted in the overhead on my circular mill, its handy especially if you cut intermittently. when you spend a lot of time on a circular mill you know where the cut will be. I have thought about a laser for the band mill but ran into your problem of where to mount it so it won't be in the way. I've tried various line levels some help but most are too weak and wash out. Now I walk along the side of the log and measure the low spot with a tape that gives me a good opertunity to check for mud, nails, and pebbles. You have to try yourself and make the decision if its worthwile for you. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kbeitz

I almost have my mount finished. I will lay my laser in a angle iron track that will turn on a Hoz, track.
I mounted my track behind the blade idler. I don't think it will be in the way of anything.
It took a fancy mount to get it where i wanted to put it. The laser I talked about above off
E-bay is very very bright. I think this will save a lot of time and also save some lumber.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!