iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Temporary mill shed

Started by Jemclimber, October 29, 2015, 08:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemclimber

I really wanted to build a 16x32 building this year to cover my sawmill but time seemed short with the other projects. Plus I'm still not sure if I want to make a lean to type building or use trusses and orient my saw out  of the gable end??.... I have a couple pieces of 10" channel that are ~24' long and I'm not sure if that is stout enough for a 24' clear span lean to???

Covering and uncovering to saw gets old and I planned on building an extension before winter for my lt15 head to back into a small shed, that way I could just pull it out and still have the length to saw.  While I was in the process of pricing the metal to weld up the extension another member listed a 10' extension for sale. Thank you Stan for meeting and selling me a nice extension. What a time and money saving blessing for me.  Last Saturday I picked it up and Sunday night I framed the little temporary shed. I built the frame in the garage and drove it out Monday evening and got the roof on.

I cut up a red oak for siding and had it finished (minus the bats in) the evening on Tuesday.

Any suggestions on the permanent bigger shed I'll be building next year would be appreciated.  A big thanks again to Stan for the nice extension. It's 10' and looks factory built.
lt15

Kbeitz

I'm also ready to make a saw mill shed...
I'm going with the lean to type because I dont want the rain dripping down in front.
Gutters would fix the trusse type but the lean to would also leave a higher roof in front.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I been planing on doing that for 10 years now.  ::) A nice looking shed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I like the method of transporting it.   8)

That surely is a couple of rugged logs on the deck.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

Quote from: Jemclimber on October 29, 2015, 08:17:06 AM. I have a couple pieces of 10" channel that are ~24' long and I'm not sure if that is stout enough for a 24' clear span lean to???

If you put your two channels back to back, it becomes an I-beam.  If, as an I-beam, it's still so thin that it would sag, you could beef it up by incorporating it into the top or bottom cord of a truss on the open side of your lean to.  If you had knee braces coming in three feet at each end, your span would be down to 18 feet.

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Jemclimber on October 29, 2015, 08:17:06 AM
I have a couple pieces of 10" channel that are ~24' long and I'm not sure if that is stout enough for a 24' clear span lean to???

I had the same idea with a 8x8 by 1/2" thick piece of steel.  See pics below.

I went to this website and found the moment of inertia for my piece of metal.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel-angles-d_1322.html

Then went to this site to determine the maximum deflection.  You will need to know that the modus of elasticity for steel is 30,000,000 and you will need to estimate the weight the beam will support to determine the maximum deflection.  Note that this calculator assumes that all the weight is in the center.  There are other calculators on this same site that will allow you to calculate deflection of evenly distributed weights.  But this should give you some estimates. 

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/calculators_protected/beam_deflection_2.htm

You will have to determine what the maximum amount of deflection you can live with is.  I bolted a 2x10 to mine and that helped strengthen it up some.  You could bold a large wooden beam on both sides of your angle and it will help considerably with any deflection.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

I just noticed that you have channel and not angle. Use this site to find the moment of inertia to plug in the beam deflection calculator.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/american-standard-steel-channels-d_1321.html
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

coppolajc10

Jemclimber, I'm in WNY, maybe close by.  I built a shed this year, similar to ncsawyer's.  You're welcome to check it out. I used 4 20' 6" I-beams, each one is 3"x6".  Had them tacked together as pairs, one on top of the other, now making 2 3"x12" beams.  Each one of those spans my two 20' openings on each side of a 24x44 pole barn.  I spoke with an engineer to verify it was to code for snow load up here.  I have six sliding doors so everything locks up tight for the winter  :).

bandmiller2

Jem, nothing wrong with a dog house for your mill head, I did that for years before I gave my mill a snug home and cement floor. In heavy snow load areas a metal roof with a good pitch helps especially with the heat and vibration from the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

I have an idea that I might execute tomorrow, I want to get my mill outta the weather and myself too so I can saw when it's raining.  Still haven't found a spot to setup yet, so building a pole barn isn't an option yet.  Not in a great spot for a sawmill.  Anyways, I'm thinking I might just lay some timbers on the ground and nail some upright posts into them and put some makeshift truses or something on top of them then double up my two 20x40' tarps and nail it to it tight as I can.  Think that'll work as a very temporary solution?
Boy, back in my day..

coppolajc10

Quote from: 4x4American on October 29, 2015, 08:57:28 PM
Think that'll work as a very temporary solution?

Yes, VERY temporary  :D.  You get any snow up there?

4x4American

No, what is this "snow" that you speak of  ???
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I've seen some car ports last a few years round here, I bet I can rig something up that'll do for the time being
Boy, back in my day..

coppolajc10

just be safe and wear a hard hat smiley_hardhat2, and maybe get your mill a hard hat too ;)

stanwelch

Nice work Jemclimber on the mill shed.  Glad the extension found a good home. Nice to meet you.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Jemclimber

It was nice to meet you Stan, and to get a great deal!!!

Thanks for the link ncsawer. If I went with a lean to my plan was  to bolt a 2x(whatever fits into the channel snugly) material and use hangers into the 2x for the front opening.  I would use knee braces as well to reduce the load and to stiffen it up. I bought the channel awhile ago cheaply from a woman close by.  Her husband (deceased) worked for a utility company and she said it came from a tower.
I'm still undecided about which style to build. I like your shed a lot, but if I built a building like yours I would have a longer span and a shorter peak, and load it from the gable end because of my layout. I can get 32' weathered trusses cheap and wouldn't have to worry about deflection on the gable end.  Decisions....

MM,  Many of my logs are rugged.  It often takes me awhile to get to sawing them because during the nice part of the year I'm removing them and bringing 'em home.  My buddies call me a log collector. (They use a different word for "collector" but this is a family site)  ;D.

coppolajc10,  I'm close to lake Ontario, not too far from Olcott.

lt15

coppolajc10

Jemclimber, I'm a mile or two from lake Erie, outside of dunkirk, about 80 miles from olcott. Let me know if I can help in any way.

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on October 29, 2015, 08:57:28 PM
I have an idea that I might execute tomorrow, I want to get my mill outta the weather and myself too so I can saw when it's raining.  Still haven't found a spot to setup yet, so building a pole barn isn't an option yet.  Not in a great spot for a sawmill.  Anyways, I'm thinking I might just lay some timbers on the ground and nail some upright posts into them and put some makeshift truses or something on top of them then double up my two 20x40' tarps and nail it to it tight as I can.  Think that'll work as a very temporary solution?

Happy Birthday!
Look into a "Garage in a Box". I had a 10' x 20' x 7' one here until the town I live in decided that they didn't like it. It was up for almost 3 years, had a foot of snow on it more than once, and held up ok. The cover needed to be replaced on mine after 3 summers, but the UV's are brutal at almost 9000' elevation.
They have a lot of different sizes and styles. One may suit your needs.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Thanks much, Redprospector!  I will look into them, but if your town was picky I'm willing to bet my annoying retired neighbor who has nothing better to do who's also on the town board might submit another complaint!  I killed 2 mice today in an hour they were in the sawmill I saw one and trapped em, anyways, theyre in my neighbors yard somewhere now lol
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Don't ask, go look at the ordinances yourself.
Our town is a Retirement/Resort community (that's the politically correct way of saying tourist trap  :D). There is not much in the lives of those who live here that the "powers that be" don't feel like they shouldn't be in control of.
If you ask someone on the board, they may put it on the agenda to add an ordinance against what you want to do. If you look it up yourself you know what you can and can't do. For instance, I found that although my garage in a box is illegal to have here in town, it is perfectly legal to park my big yellow school bus in it's place as long as it's in running condition. And unlike most municipalities, it is not required that I keep it licensed and insured while it's there.
Is it any wonder why they love me so much here?  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

lol lol lol a good point you bring up.  The old saying goes I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission.
Boy, back in my day..

Kingmt

I'd just rather everyone stay out of my business.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

coppolajc10

4x4 ... have you considered an ag fabric building like the ones from Farmtek?  I almost went in on one with my sister who was looking for a place to store her horses and hay, but she bailed on me  :D.  I also wanted a traditional structure b/c we have high winds.  Looks like they go up in a hurry and probably designed for snow loads.  I thought I saw another member using one for sawmilling on a thread last year. just a thought.

edit:  also noticed on farmtek website that they have "portable sheds" as big as 10' wide, 8' high, and 18' long for around a grand!

deadfall

My ex-boss gave me a Shelter Logic 20' X 22' fabric garage he bought for his tractor and a boat.  He gave it to me for removing it.  I set it up and the first thing I put in it was a van project that took me eleven months to finish.  By the time eleven months had passed, every plastic surface in the van was covered with black mold (the guy I bought the van from was a smoker and the inside was covered with smoke film, which is what molded).  If a fabric shelter has walls, it will trap all the moisture coming out of the ground and everything will be wet most all of the time.  I remember that his tractor was always wet. 

I still have that tent garage, but now it is up on ten foot piling.  Makes a good roof, but a lousy building.

I have to say that the UV protection that Shelter Logic uses is pretty good.  That thing was about ten years old when I put it on the piling, and that is now over ten years ago. Concerned that the UV resistance would soon be giving up, I doubled the main cover ($400 then) soon after I set it up there.  The ends are still  single and showing no sign of giving up at over twenty years old.

Here is a picture of raising it up on the piles:

Happy for no reason.

redprospector

Quote from: Kingmt on November 03, 2015, 02:48:00 PM

Wouldn't that be nice.  :D
Unfortunately there are those who just can't tend their own knitting (old saying).
Been getting some nice comments on the school bus in my front yard.  :D

deadfall

Quote from: redprospector on November 04, 2015, 01:01:42 AM
Quote from: Kingmt on November 03, 2015, 02:48:00 PM

Wouldn't that be nice.  :D
Unfortunately there are those who just can't tend their own knitting (old saying).
Been getting some nice comments on the school bus in my front yard.  :D

We just had a vote yesterday on a county ordinance to "Mind Your Neighbor's Knitting."  Having had some problems with a psychopathic neighbor, dedicated to making my, and other close neighbors' lives into a bit of her particular Hell, while I voted No, another neighbor, whom my junk collection, and skills with such, have bailed out of too many mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc. issues too count, voted Yes.  I have to believe that if this passes, here in a county that's never yet had its first stop light, it can do no less than bite our collective butt. 

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

So what kind of things does that entail? An ordinance to mind your neighbors knitting?  How could anyone think that's a good idea?  Shoulda been playing some Hank Sr. at the voting booth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSeuDDzjIB8
Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

I was told today that it passed by a large margin.  Lots'o folks 'round here is high tone I guess.

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!