iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to start?

Started by cmiles, October 27, 2015, 09:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmiles

I am building a stick-built brick pool house with a 21'-4" x 7'long TF gable extension for an outdoor kitchen.  I am an engineer and pretty handy with modern tools, but have no experience with timber framing. I have built a few pole barns other misc structures, but nothing TF. I have considered buying a kit from some of the online company's that offer such, but something inside me keeps saying you should do this.  I have a suitable shop and all winter if that is what it takes to do it.  I only see needing one King truss bent with braces, plus a ridge beam and few a rafters so in the scheme of some of project I see going up on this blog it is relatively small project. Hopefully, it be simple enough for a beginner.  My question really is where do I go to get information for the details of how to design the structure.  I have AutoCAD and am capable of producing shop drawings once I figure out how the structure should be designed.  I have watch a many of the online videos and have a grasp of the basics, but need more info on the details in order to be able to design the structure and properly detail the joints.  I have the overall building design done and I know what I want the TF to look like when I done, I just need to know how to get there.

Are books or learning videos that focus on the design process TF?  I know I will need information on the craftsman techniques also, but I don't think I am ready for that yet. 

Any suggestions you can offer to help me get started in this adventure would be appreciated.

timberwrestler

I'd say hire a timber frame designer.
Brice's website, timberframehq.com is a good start.
Where are you located?
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

cmiles

I am located in Kentucky.

cmiles

Any other suggestion on how to prepare for my first TF project?" :P

Jim_Rogers

There are lots of books that you can buy at the online book store on the Timber Framer Guild webpage/online store.
One of them is on roof trusses.

http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/tifrbo.html

There are many ways to do what you want to do.
You can draw it yourself and post it here or in the plan section above and I will review it and make comments about your design.

Or you can email me and I'll review it offline.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Find a class.  Or a framer willing to share a weekend.  A bit of experience goes a long way.

The time I invested learning log cabin building and Timber framing from those that know, well, in the end it saved me considerable time and dollars.

Thank You Sponsors!