iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple saw set...

Started by Kbeitz, October 27, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I don't like taking the blade off my saw for sharpen or set.
I do them both while the blade is still on the saw.
So I sharpen with a Dremel and I made a simple saw set.
Works great.  Costs me all of $11.88 to make.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

hackberry jake

Now there's thinking outside the box. Nice job!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

I'm a believer in whatever works use it! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Very clever, Patent pending.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

21incher

Clever idea. How long does it take to set a blade with it? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

I never really timed it... I will next time. Rain today so it will have to wait.
I move the mill head to a spot where I can set on the bed with comfort and go to work.
As fast as I can move the setter and pull the leaver one tooth is done.
I was going to make one to do 2-3-4 teeth at a time but I'm new at this and starting out slow.
Next project already started is a Laser guide.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

How long do the teeth stay sharp when sharpened in that fashion?

Instead of a Dremel tool you might also look at one of the handheld chainsaw sharpeners made by Oregon or Sthil. They are 12 volt and alligator clamp to the battery of your truck, ATV or mill in this case. I have used them for years to sharpen my chain in the field.

I have used both but prefer Oregon because the switch is on the box and you can flip it on and off with the same hand holding the box. Also Oregon uses anyone's stones while with Sthil you have use their stones.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 28, 2015, 08:40:58 AM
Kbeitz,

How long do the teeth stay sharp when sharpened in that fashion?

Instead of a Dremel tool you might also look at one of the handheld chainsaw sharpeners made by Oregon or Sthil. They are 12 volt and alligator clamp to the battery of your truck, ATV or mill in this case. I have used them for years to sharpen my chain in the field.

I have used both but prefer Oregon because the switch is on the box and you can flip it on and off with the same hand holding the box. Also Oregon uses anyone's stones while with Sthil you have use their stones.

Thats a tough question to answer.
I'm new at this and I have never used a new blade.
I got 70 blades that came from the junkyard. I'm now on my second blade,
The first on broke after a few weeks work. So the second blade has been sawing all summer.
I have yet to cut a live tree. I have many acres of dead standing hemlock that I'm trying to get cut.
Just yesterday I was giving another 65 acres of very large dead standing hemlock.
So... I have not cut any hard woods and nothing green.
My mill has made me smile every time I use it. I here of people changing there blades a few time each day.
I will run a blade till it snaps and If I think it's still young I will silver solder it and run it some more.
I don't wait till the blade is real dull. I like to touch it up with the dremel very lightly to keep it sharp.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

Hey Kbeitz... How to I place an order for a tooth setter like that?
bk

Kbeitz

Quote from: bkaimwood on October 28, 2015, 06:59:36 PM
Hey Kbeitz... How to I place an order for a tooth setter like that?

First you search E-bay for "Push Pull Type Toggle Clamp" and buy one....
Then you go to your local junk yard for scrap metals....
Then you dig out your welder and...........
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Kbeitz, what if you put a piece with a handle on it sticking out the front, one hand on the destaco clamp and the other on the handle. It would likely make it easier to move and the clamp and wouldn't try to torque the band. Frank C.

Ljohnsaw

Kbeitz,
Nice.  I have yet to look at my blades but from what I read around here, they are set in a set of three.  One up, one down and one straight (the raker).  From your relief cuts in the steel, I'm guessing you just do one up and one down, correct?  How's that working for you?  Also, are both pieces of metal fixed?  You just wedge the blade in the bottom?

I suppose the next add-on would be a dial gauge to check them after you set. ;D

You have given me inspiration and an idea for an improvement (at least in my mind ::)).
Thanks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 28, 2015, 08:33:21 PM
Kbeitz, what if you put a piece with a handle on it sticking out the front, one hand on the destaco clamp and the other on the handle. It would likely make it easier to move and the clamp and wouldn't try to torque the band. Frank C.
I had a chunk of steel cut just to do that but it worked so easy that I decided not to add the extra weight.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 28, 2015, 08:49:14 PM
Kbeitz,
Nice.  I have yet to look at my blades but from what I read around here, they are set in a set of three.  One up, one down and one straight (the raker).  From your relief cuts in the steel, I'm guessing you just do one up and one down, correct?  How's that working for you?  Also, are both pieces of metal fixed?  You just wedge the blade in the bottom?

I suppose the next add-on would be a dial gauge to check them after you set. ;D

You have given me inspiration and an idea for an improvement (at least in my mind ::)).
Thanks!
I looked at my junkyard blades. All the 70 blades I got was one up and one down no raker.
If I get any staggered tooth blades I will just make a new setter.

I took two chunks of steel and clamped in on my old blade and welded a seam down the back.
Then I flipped it over and clamped two hacksaw blades together and dropped it in the grove to widen it a bit.

I checked the set with my dial caliper and found that it was just a waste of time checking each tooth.
Once it's set up it doesent seem to change.  Simple is so much easyer. Unless I see any cutting problems
I wont add any more to it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kameljoe21

show some photos of how you sharpen them with the Dremel
my neighbor has about 20 blades that need sharpened and reset
also what do you guys who do there own sharpening do about bent blades?

also if you have a scanner or a photo copy machine, you can put a 6 inch ruler on the copy and the part on it and take some shots, it would help a few people with building there own, Just an idea

looks awesome

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

If a fella had one of those straight shaft grinders that take a regular grinding stone you could shape the wheel to fit the gullet, maybe with a pivot point you could just swing in and out with band on mill. Frank C.

bkaimwood

Thanks Kbeitz... Just the start I was looking for...
bk

Thank You Sponsors!