iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cut diving

Started by drobertson, October 27, 2015, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I put this here hoping for some experience from loggers,  I have sawn my fare share, but not a professional logger,
my saw is diving to the left, and all seems right as I have done for years,  sharp for sure, drags bout right, have not flipped the bar, mainly cause I have not sawn that much, so just looking for some go to suggestions.  thanks
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Is this while felling, bucking to length, or during both?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

I would bet its the bar  I got 2 bad bars in a box of 10 I cut about 40 blocks of fire wood with one and it started walking and about 1000ft of logs with the other put a new chain on it did the same thing im thinking some of the metal is crap and letting them warp

Ed_K

Your rails are wearing unevenly, check them with a 90 deg straight edge. You can get a special file to straighten from the saw shops.
Ed K

thecfarm

When I start to have trouble like that I put the motor on the right side and sharpen that side again. Seems to work every time for me. Don't happen too often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I will check the bar, just hard to believe it could be off ya know?   I saw all aspects, felling, bucking and all in between. saws like crazy until the bar is at full depth,,  good chips, frustrating
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Autocar

Iam left handed I hand file my chains after a while that happens to me, the way I fix it is two strokes on the left side four on the right and it will pull even. I blame it on strength difference in my left arm compared to my right. Of course this just my opinion  ;D.
Bill

thecfarm

Autocar,take me a while to understand the same thing. I agree with your opinon. I just take one less when the motor is on the left side. Been doing this for more than 30 years. Nice and straight and the saw pulls itself into the cut. I guess our opinion works for us.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Spartan

check for a slight banana or twist.  check your rail gap too-  could be rolling the chain

sandsawmill14

flip the bar over and try it  while its off feel the edges for slight bur. when mine gets the bur on edge i just take angle grinder to it and flatten it back up ;D does it just want to go left but you can hold it straight(probably chain) or does it go left period(probably bar). i think all of us hand sharpening file a little to 1 side or the other :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

lumberjack48

Quote from: thecfarm on October 27, 2015, 07:11:38 PM
When I start to have trouble like that I put the motor on the right side and sharpen that side again. Seems to work every time for me. Don't happen too often.
If you don't get the very point of the cutter on both sides, this is what happens.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

grassfed

I am with lumberjack48 and the others that say to double check the sharpening on one side. Look very close at the leading corner. I had this problem a few years ago. You can hit something hard and dull one side more than the other. Also I see that you are about my age and a few years ago I finally figured out that I cannot see well enough to do a good job sharpening unless I wear some reading glasses.  :-\
Mike

ely

its at least one of the two problems mentioned here, I would say the bar more than the chain file job.

drobertson

I had a buddy come over and check it out, head scratch er he said,  flipped the bar, did file a little burr that was starting to build.  and I am just about as deaf as blind :D but these teeth are now very sharp,  I will put the loop on the grinder and just buy another loop for now.  Just thought I would pick you guys brains,  thanks for the input.

Thank You Sponsors!