iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stainless stove pipe

Started by Just Me, October 27, 2015, 11:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I just replaced all the pipe between my masonry chimney and the wood furnace. I was replacing the stub that goes into the masonry and after looking at the rest decided it was not far behind.

One 4', one 1' and two elbows in 6" size were $109 shipped. Name brand, Dura something or other, nice looking heavy stuff. About double of steel, but if it lasts twice as long I'll be happy.

Larry

Hilltop366

If it is good quality it should last a long time, I have stainless (used solid fuel chimney liner) from my wood boiler to the insulated chimney it is 15 years old with nothing wrong yet!

Grizzly

I wonder how well it would stand up to coal? The coal boiler will rot out any regular stove pipe (insulated or plain) in 2 years or less. I'm switching to wood now but may have to revert back to coal at some point.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

r.man

My friend with a Heatmor had to replace his smoke pipe every two years and then went to a piece of stainless. I think he is on year 5 or 6 now and it still looks solid. I switched from regular pipe to free used stainless chimney and it has stood up well also.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Just Me

My regular stove pipe only lasted two years with wood. I have always been curious about coal heat. can't get coal up here so it doesn't matter I guess.

thecfarm

r.man,what does your friend have for a Heatmor? Mine chimmey is ΒΌ thick steel. I've had my for 7 years and I suppose it's Ok. Have not checked it either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Cfarm his is newer than yours, maybe 9 yrs now. Not sure of the model but he had a Dahl before that, started with regular stove pipe, switched to a galvanized culvert and then went to stainless steel.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Grizzly

Quote from: Just Me on October 27, 2015, 07:13:57 PM
I have always been curious about coal heat. can't get coal up here so it doesn't matter I guess.

You don't want it. It does not give off that pleasant cozy aroma of wood smoke and it is corrosive on everything. Any time we have to deal with the ash we like to be careful of the dust. Not pleasant at all. Just my opinion.

But for us it is about 1/2 or less of the cost of natural gas so we have used it since moving here; but now that we have a large slash pile from the mill we'll switch to wood.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Al_Smith

I think it was 3-4 years ago  I installed a single wall 22 gauge  stainless  liner inside my existing clay liner .The problem was excess creosote, the gooey type .Problem went away .14 feet was less than 120 dollars .

I stuffed insulation around it and the only creosote I find is the last 4 inches atop the flue where the liner is exposed to outside air  outside the clay lined brick chimney .It's hard pyrolited creosote the type that doesn't catch afire .The gooey stuff can .--not good --- :o

Just Me

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 28, 2015, 10:15:03 PM
I think it was 3-4 years ago  I installed a single wall 22 gauge  stainless  liner inside my existing clay liner .The problem was excess creosote, the gooey type .Problem went away .14 feet was less than 120 dollars .

I stuffed insulation around it and the only creosote I find is the last 4 inches atop the flue where the liner is exposed to outside air  outside the clay lined brick chimney .It's hard pyrolited creosote the type that doesn't catch afire .The gooey stuff can .--not good --- :o

How do you do that? I mean, when you get to the T where it changes direction how do you make the connection?

My chimney is chimney block with 8x8 flues starting in the basemant and running up about 25' from there. There is a 6" round thimble from the 8x8 to the inside of the basement wall. the chimney is outside the basement.

Larry

711ac

Quote from: Just Me on October 27, 2015, 11:31:40 AM
I just replaced all the pipe between my masonry chimney and the wood furnace. I was replacing the stub that goes into the masonry and after looking at the rest decided it was not far behind.

One 4', one 1' and two elbows in 6" size were $109 shipped. Name brand, Dura something or other, nice looking heavy stuff. About double of steel, but if it lasts twice as long I'll be happy.

Larry

I have some of that "Dura- something" and it impressed me for sure. I have it on a wood boiler with pretty low stack temps, but don't see why it would not be a big improvment over "normal" stove pipe on anything burning wood>

Al_Smith

How do you do that? I mean, when you get to the T where it changes direction how do you make the connection?/end quote

It's an insert inside a fire place ,straight shot .I plated the area above the stove, burned a 7" hole in the plate and dropped the stainless in from above using stainless pop rivets in the joints .By design it did not have to have a flue to stove connection .Worst part of the entire job was moving a 5-600 pound stove .

Thank You Sponsors!