iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Climate Change

Started by Rachiano, October 23, 2015, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachiano

Are we as millers also responsible for climate change?
Trees are being cut down for us to have fun and make money.
More CO2 pumped into the air and being trapped warming up the earth.
This was the temp. yesterday here in the tropics under a shed. I can feel that its getting hotter 38 degrees celcius...phew.

Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
Werklust WG25 Wheel loader
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

ladylake

That's just over 100°  F, way to hot.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

Very careful on this topic or off to restricted it goes with all the other climate change topics.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

That display is very fancy.  I think I need a new sawmill. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ScottInCabot

I try planting as many as I take.....equals more fun for me!  And I usually plant something that'll have value in place of the trash I remove.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

dgdrls

as scottincabot  said
You have to put back what you take

and then add a little cream on top.

Dan

hunz

It's probably always hot if you'Re in the tropics, what's another few degrees? That's why I left that place they call hell hmmmm I mean Florida
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

azmtnman

The fact that he's 5 degrees north of the Equator might have something to do with it! High of 66*F here today.............IN ARIZONA! :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Ain't worried about any climate change, I just want the weather to change.  86° today but the forecast calls for our drought to end tomorrow.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingmt

It is cooler around here in the summers anymore. We were having mild winter but the last three years it has been cold. About like I remember it is a kid. Climate shaft & change is natural. The more CO2 in the air the better plants grow & cycle it to oxygen. It becomes a wash.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

coppolajc10

Quote from: Rachiano on October 23, 2015, 11:37:44 AM

Rachiano, you've got some considerate customers, doing all that for you.  ;) Mine are selfish, always wanting lumber for their buildings and projects, me, me, me, me .... but I live up north here where it's cold and people are craaaaannnky.

OneWithWood

Trees are a naturally renewable resource, easily replaced if harvested in a sustainable manner.  Saw on, preferably in some shade, knowing that the lumber you produce is a much more carbon neutral material than just about every substitute.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jimdad07

Not saying that climate change is not real because it is, but it's also been a natural cycle throughout history. 
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

rasman57

Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2015, 03:13:19 PM
Very careful on this topic or off to restricted it goes with all the other climate change topics.

Great thought.  How that can be anything but issue driven and divisive in this specific forum seems evident no matter what side of the issue one believes.  Plenty of other forums for political expression.  Just my opinion...and I spent 30 years upholdiing and defending the right to say it here.   Yep. some days it is hot out when working on wood.

pine

More CO2 pumped into the air and being trapped warming up the earth.

I have planted over 20K seedlings in the past several years.  I sure as heck have not cut that many trees into saw logs nor put that many across the mill. (I wish I had)
I think that my CO2 conversion to O2 rate with all the trees I have planted is higher than the O2 to CO2 conversion I have done with my mill and the trees that I have milled.   

Wood is a renewable resource and one of the few that we have. Used responsibly it will last forever.

tempforce

used to be a lot hotter, tropical plants on the poles. greenland used to be green with plants the whole year round.
and
it used to be a lot colder, ice near the equator. ice a mile high near present day new york.
it's climate change, it changes.
wind and storms balance the temperature.
green growth takes care of excess co2.
me, i like to grow my own food.
my plants like extra co2 and nitrogen, i like the 02 they give off...

in oregon, if you are a commercial grower. you're required to plant two trees within ten years, for every one harvested.
unless you are growing christmas trees.
cleaning up wildfire damage...
making lumber and siding out of wildfire damaged trees.

Ljohnsaw

There is a "documentary" on Netflix called Cowsiracy.  It seems that raising beef is the cause of greenhouse gas build up (methane) and lack of water.  They say it takes 660 gallons of water to make a fast-food burger and the methane they give off (cow farts) is far worse than the CO2 buildup.  Something like 10x what the entire transportation sector is producing.  So if we just stop eating beef, the greenhouse gas will clear up and the drought will be over.  It seems that we are having a drought in the west, the rest of you seem to be drowning in all the precip.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Wick

The chic-fil-a cows might be on to something.   Ete-mor-Chikin   smiley_bull_stomp
Timber Harvester 30HT25

deadfall

Quote from: tempforce on October 25, 2015, 12:21:52 PM
used to be a lot hotter, tropical plants on the poles.

Just a note.  The terrestrial poles have shifted many times in the geological record.  It is assumed that Lake Chad, among other places now tropical or temperate, was once a pole.  Tropical locations have been polar, and the poles have been equatorial in past geological epochs.  So, yes, that could have been called climate change" too.  It's always been a curiosity to me that when New York was under that ice during the most recent so called ice age, Siberia was temperate with mammoths still eating the buttercups that flash froze in their mouths, just minutes before they were also flash frozen.  Those beast were frozen when our ice age ended and theirs began (and continues to this day).  This points to a shift of the terrestrial axis more than an ice age.  I mean, how does an ice age happen it eastern North America and Europe and not in western Alaska and north east Asia?  Look for the previous pole around Baffin Island/Davis Straight.  The Canadian Shield and the Great Lakes, including the Canadian Great Lakes, show pretty clearly where the Arctic Circle used to be, as they show where the glaciers really dug in, not so many thousands of years ago. 

Something to think about anyway. 

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kingmt

This has been interesting reading.

Off subject but since it was brought up. Where do you guys buy your seedlings or do you grow or clone?

edkemper

Perhaps another issue is what you do with the slash after cutting. When we burn it, it puts carbon in the air. However, if you conform to Permaculture principles and perhaps do Hugelkultur garden beds to bury the slash and turn it into green plants, then we have done a good deed toward helping the environment.

In the pacific northwest (USA), our problem isn't necessarily cutting down the forest, it's that we don't cut enough to clear out the clutter and then when it burns (lightning strikes mostly) it's like it was set off with napalm. Which again, fills the air with carbon.
Old Man

Chuck White

Quote from: Kingmt on October 25, 2015, 09:18:49 PM
This has been interesting reading.

Off subject but since it was brought up. Where do you guys buy your seedlings or do you grow or clone?

You should be able to sign up for spring delivery of seedling at your County Soil & Water office.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingmt

Quote from: Chuck White on October 25, 2015, 10:09:48 PM

You should be able to sign up for spring delivery of seedling at your County Soil & Water office.

Thanks. I'll see if that's offered. I just found out a week ago that we have a Forester.

Magicman

I have gotten "left over" seedlings toward the end of the planting season.  330 seedlings cost me $40.    LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Rachiano, I think we should feel good about what we do!  The CO2 in what we produce is "sequestered" (tied up) for a very long time in the form of building materials, furniture, etc etc.  And getting rid of the old, many times dying stuff allows the new stuff to flourish.  So you're really a tree-hugger at heart!!   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Sixacresand

Since our horses have new homes, we have talked about what to do with the  pasture.   One option is to plant it in trees.  I just hate the thought of my pasture reverting back to a forest.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I understand.  I planted all of the pasture land that my Dad, Brother and I helped to clear up.  It served well in it's time, but land usages change.  My only regret is that I drug my feet and didn't allow my Dad to plant it all 10 years sooner.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: rasman57 on October 25, 2015, 10:34:50 AM
Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2015, 03:13:19 PM

Great thought.  How that can be anything but issue driven and divisive in this specific forum seems evident no matter what side of the issue one believes.  Plenty of other forums for political expression.  Just my opinion...and I spent 30 years upholdiing and defending the right to say it here.   Yep. some days it is hot out when working on wood.

It's a shame that it's considered a divisive political topic instead of a scientific one. But OneWithWood is right, sawing and using wood is not a big contributor to atmospheric CO2.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

My sawmill's bumper sticker is getting "long in the tooth" and needs replacing.

But the message is the same:    TREES ARE AMERICA'S
                                              RENEWABLE RESOURCE

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There.....I fixed it for you.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I went out and looked.  Musta washed off.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redprospector

Climate Change???
Happens 4 times a year around here.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

azmtnman

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2015, 09:33:12 PM
My sawmill's bumper sticker is getting "long in the tooth" and needs replacing.

But the message is the same:    TREES ARE AMERICA'S
                                              RENEWABLE RESOURCE

I like the bumper sticker but I'm really admiring that log!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Quote from: azmtnman on October 27, 2015, 12:11:23 AMI like the bumper sticker but I'm really admiring that log!
What, this old thing?  LINK

Brad_bb

When learning timber framing, I was told to plant three trees for every one you use. I do and that is just good resource management. Climate is always changinging.  I don't believe man is a significant contributor.  As a scientist myself, I have not seen the evidence nor do I think there would be sufficient data to validate such a theory. The proven falsification of data by the first global warming scientists undermined a lot of credibility.  Yet many lay advocates today aren't even aware of this.  "Global warming" or "Climate change" continues to be driven by a political-economic agenda. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

johnnyllama

Without speaking my personal opinion about "human influence" on climate change, I would say most sawyers on here saw a very small quantity in the overall picture of timber harvesting. Also, in North America we have long accepted and followed reasonable reforestation policies. This is not the case in many countries that are rapidly clear cutting huge areas of tropical rainforest, which the slash is then burned, which causes  problems that should not be ignored reguardless of your political views. It would be different if they were reforesting too but most are not. Just my two cents worth.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

deadfall

One thing to keep in mind, there is a qualitative difference between a forest and a plantation.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!