iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lone Ranger

Started by bandmiller2, October 23, 2015, 08:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How many of you guys work your sawmills alone.?? I like it that way I can work my own pace, take time to study and clean logs, and not have to worry what someone else is doing or where their standing. Band mill is the easiest alone circular mill a little harder but doable. More care must be taken and your mill must be set up for solo operation. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Pretty much a loner here, had help the customer help yesterday, and it was faster, but I would rather saw alone.  Not much into the rammy factor like some folks are.  I do miss my son, he and I had it figured out, pretty smooth for a rink a dink operation.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

Just me and the skid loader most times at home, on custom jobs the customers help just about 100% of the time.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

BM2,

I generally work alone at home and have a customer or helper at a client site to stack lumber. Generally the client is there to advise on what he wants cut out of each log. That works well as long as I advise him on any "gottchas" on his proposals.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Just me and the dogs...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I rarely saw alone, and when I do, it's usually just while waiting for the customer to arrive.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingmt

My wife helps almost all the time. My 2 year old empties the saw dust bucket & hands me tools. He is also in charge of rationing my cigarettes. He decides how often I'm allowed to have one. He brings me one then takes the pack back telling me no more. Lol

I don't saw on the mill much when the other kids are home. I usually cut trees when the whole family is around to help brush after the tree is down. It is really nice having my saw filled with oil & has every time I last it down. They have learned the lean sound & when they hear me shut it down they come running with the gas & oil.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Nomad

Almost always have the customer helping, or sometimes they ask me to bring in my own help.  Sometimes when it's the customer helping I'd be better off alone. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Grizzly

I'm wondering about "alone". Like drobertson says about his son, it's like that with my daughter and I. I would say we're both working "alone" just on the same sawmill. Everything works smooth but neither one of us is really thinking about where the other is. I do not want to think about having other hired or free labour around the mill. Just me/us is fine.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

UpInATree

Almost always a solo project, but I do cheat with tractors and remote control mill  8)
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Magicman

I very seldom saw alone.  Stuff happens, so it is kind of a safety thing.  That plus I do not enjoy working that hard anymore.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Alone most of the time. I have one friend that gets out of his truck and as he is walking down towards the sawmill he is putting on a pair of gloves. He does not ask,Do you need some help? That is a true friend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

York Woodwright

I work alone. Sometimes I enjoy it, but I would love help with the heavier slabs.

I had two students helping me part time (one in high school, one studying furniture design at college) in exchange for using the tools in my woodworking shop. They both loved operating the tractors and sawmill. When I renewed my business insurance some months ago, the insurance agent told me that they would no longer cover any injuries or other workplace accidents for my helpers; i had to bring my entire workshop and sawmill up to current workplace safety standards including complete documentation of policies and procedures. It also meant removing most of my woodworking machinery (e.g., table saw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, planer, lathe) because it lacked things like laser-based safety trips and saw-stop technology. And the insurance company which insures our farm on which my mill is located, said that without business insurance for my helpers, they would cancel the insurance for our farm and farmhouse. So my helpers, who used my workshop to make furniture for the assignments at their school programs, can no longer run my machinery.

I have to guard against thinking bad thoughts about insurance companies. Their risk-averse and legalistic attitude has stopped two bright, capable and creative students from gaining real-world experience.

Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Brucer

Usually I saw alone.

Safety is not a big issue because there is a large industrial maintenance contractor right across the road from me. Their vehicles are constantly going back and forth on the road and many of them know me.

I do have a part-time helper who offloads the edger, trims the lumber, and stacks and stickers it. She comes in whenever she sees the pile of flitches in front of the edger getting too big. I don't need to worry about what she's doing -- she's careful, safety conscious, and smart.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

QuoteI don't need to worry about what she's doing -- she's careful, safety conscious, and smart.
That is the "bestest" kind.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingmt

Quote from: York Woodwright on October 23, 2015, 10:44:27 PM

I have to guard against thinking bad thoughts about insurance companies. Their risk-averse and legalistic attitude has stopped two bright, capable and creative students from gaining real-world experience.

Charles
The school insurance may cover them since they are working on school projects. You'll have to check into that. I don't believe I'd carry insurance that would cover anything.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

kelLOGg

I usually saw alone but I saw at home. Don't go on the road any more. I prefer my own pace w/o having to tell someone what to do or not do. However, help moving heavy lumber is surely nice.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

I don't mind sawing alone.  it is slow and hard work.  For every 30 minutes of milling, I spend an hour stacking/stickering and handling material.  And in my most recent physical condition about two hours a day is about all I can stand.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

edkemper

I usually have my young adult son and my wife with me. But I have a rule, when the saw is running, they don't talk to me. I like to wear my ear protection so I want to be left alone (after we get a routine down) so I can concentrate on what I'm doing and what I'm going to do. The few times I have really screwed things up it was because of distractions by people. Being that is family, I can't blame them and then go home with them. So the rule helps a bunch.
Old Man

warren46

I saw alone.  People come to the mill and say "you do this all by yourself?"  Yes I do.  I am concerned about the safety issue but I do no know how to avoid it.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

terrifictimbersllc

I try to keep the helpers at the far end of the mill where I can see them.  Least pleasant is when there are several of them standing at my end or behind me and they start a boisterous conversation.   I don't mind when one comes up and asks me details about sawing but trying to saw when there is a party going on behind me no thanks.  Can't think straight.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

When I am sawing, I set up so that all of the workers and work operations are in front of me. (rear of the sawmill)  I do not like anyone behind me that are close to the sawmill.

ScottInCabot

Being new 'on-the-road' with a mill, I have been milling alone.  I also set-up orange cones(the traffic kind) around the mill.  I actually have a statement that the customer signs about coming into the 'zone'(he must wait until I see him/her and shutdown).

It actually works out great, I can hear what they have to say and can give accurate answers without yelling.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

redprospector

When my sons were still at home I had more help than I knew what to do with.  :D Now that they're all grown and gone I'm on my own. The youngest is 31 now, so it's been a while since I've had help.
When I was doing custom sawing (after the boys were grown) I'd get some help from the customer if I was charging by the hour...sometimes. If I was sawing by the bd. ft. they almost always wanted a discount if they helped. I'd just laugh and tell them to get out of the way, they were slowing me down. I was younger then.  :D
Now I'm setting up stationary, and am trying to set up hydraulics, conveyors, and roller tables to "streamline" the operation, so maybe I can have decent production by myself. Good help is hard to find around here.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!