iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hows the wood sellin???

Started by OH logger, October 22, 2015, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

how are the wood sales goin around the country?? I just have a couple cord of dry wood to sell and we are startin to split dead ash to sell this winter also. all is well that burns well!!! 8)  I like to be done with firewood early so I can concentrate on loggin  when the crops come off and everyone wants me at there job right away
john

shamusturbo

I do not log but have another full time job so firewood is a side job. We cannot meet demand. I do not intend to employ anyone for very obvious reasons so i will fall short as long as the demand is what it is. We are moving about 6-10 full cords a week right now. Not everything is seasoned. Most is dead white ash, cherry, and oaks. We cannot move fast enough. 5 tri-axles delivered in the last 10 days and 4 more in the next week. I think we will move all that out by Christmas.

This is our first full year with the larger processor. I had about 65 cords setting all summer and it is all gone, mostly picked up from self serve racks near the road/highway. I think I charge a lot as it is and am considering going higher/more expensive or adding a delivery fee (we had it "built into" the price until now). Attached are some pictures from this past weekend. Working North of Pittsburgh.....

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

landscraper

I had 2 piles of logs like the one in the picture, and 2 or 3 smaller log piles as well.  10 or 15 cords got sold as log length, but the rest of it got sold as split firewood, pickup truck loads up to tandem dump truck loads.  I started on these piles in March of this year, finished most of it up by May.  At this point almost all of it has been cut, split and delivered.  I had another firewood seller approach me this summer about buying wood, he said he would buy it green, so I have about 20 pickup truck loads set aside for him and that about finished off my supply.  I think it was 75-85 cords all in all.  I have two good clearing jobs to start this fall, so I will re-stock on logs and start splitting again over the winter.   

The small stacks of split wood between trees are all the oddball offcuts and pieces, my son takes those, splits them and sells them himself, he got up to about 6-8 cords and he is sold out too. 

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Bert

I really have problems selling it until it snows and then everyone is calling. Same story every year. Like its not going to snow or get cold  :-\
Saw you tomorrow!

OH logger

Quote from: Bert on October 28, 2015, 01:08:33 PM
I really have problems selling it until it snows and then everyone is calling. Same story every year. Like its not going to snow or get cold  :-\
I love that mentality that "maybe winter will blow over and not happen at all this year :-\.
john

logman81

Firewood sales is booming here, still selling green wood like crazy. Don't have any seasoned wood as I couldn't keep it in Stock long enough. Sold over fifty cord of green just in this past month and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. Going to be looking at a one ton dump truck this weekend to I can just dump the wood out instead of hand tossing it out plus I'll use it to plow with during winter.
Precision Firewood & Logging

SwampDonkey

As long as there is no more $26 oil it's a steady market I think. However, the insurance companies are just as fussy with wood appliance as oil up here. I guess they all want us on heat pumps and baseboard. They want low risk and stick it to everyone to recover losses on burned houses. Still people that think green wood and smouldery dampened down fires is the way. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logman81

Most of customers are buying green to get ahead for next year by seasoning it themselves. They would rather support local business and would rather burn wood because it is a renewable source of energy.

SwampDonkey

Some do that, but you can drive by many homes with a heap of firewood not even put away yet, just dumped as close to the basement hole as can be, and it's all they have.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lopet

Sold a little under forty  3 cord trailer loads this past September. Pretty well same customers, same price, same distance driving.
All in all a average year. 8)  Glad it's done.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 29, 2015, 06:10:38 PM
Some do that, but you can drive by many homes with a heap of firewood not even put away yet, just dumped as close to the basement hole as can be, and it's all they have.

Just look at the smoke coming out of the chimney. If it's Blue the wood is green, If white it's dry. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

A yard in smoke is a good sign.  :D

logman81

Firewood sales never stops for me I sell it year round,  a never ending task!

SwampDonkey

Good business to be in when your above the snow line.  :snowball:  ;D

NWP

Busy as ever. Low supply due to lots of rain here this spring/summer. I've bought 4 semi loads of split wood to supplement. I've gotten calls from all over the Midwest looking for bulk split wood. Nobody seems to have enough
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OH logger

seems like the last few years the more you make the more you sell, and you can never have enough split :) its a good problem to have. the last few years people have started callin me in august to make sure they get on the list
john

brendonv

First year doing wood. No problem getting rid of 30 cord, prob coulda easily sold triple. Shoulda did more, but my yard doesnt support it.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

SwampDonkey

Around here, it's May it seems. I'll never be last on the list unless it's May first and then I might be on a real short list. :D

logman81

One of these days hopefully soon I will have a one ton dump to deliver my wood when I find one. Delivering with a pick up is no fun!

timberlinetree

Not shur why but many of our customers  ordered extra this year. Lots of wood is being pulped around here putting strain on the  tree length firewood buyers. We sell tree length and cut/split.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

beenthere

timberlinetree
QuoteNot shur why but many of our customers  ordered extra this year.

My guess to why, would be these are customers who realize that green wood does not burn well and trying to get ahead so at least have a year of seasoning before expecting good heat and good burning. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I would also opine that last year's very cold and elongated winter might have been etched in their memories.  The percentage of wood burners who truly take the time and trouble to prepare a year ahead is not as high as one would think it should be, IMO.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

OH logger

Quote from: doctorb on November 04, 2015, 10:38:09 AM
I would also opine that last year's very cold and elongated winter might have been etched in their memories.  The percentage of wood burners who truly take the time and trouble to prepare a year ahead is not as high as one would think it should be, IMO.
my thoughts exactly and they burnt up last years supply plus all of their "extra" wood for the next year
john

sweetjetskier

i came across this posting on CL for firewood. The add uses the "fear factor" of firewood will be $400 a cord this winter, so buy now  :o

CL
rhode island > for sale > farm & garden - by owner post [ account ]
reply  x prohibited[?]  Posted: 7 days ago ◀ prev ▲ next ▶ print
Green firewood of the best quality - $160 (Charlestown)
safety tips
prohibited items
product recalls
avoiding scams
Green firewood for sale wood is a 100% hardwood mix of oak. All good quality wood there is no bugs, rotten wood or dirt and is accurately cut to 16"-18" and hand loaded into truck reducing Unwanted waste. Full cords delivered a half cord at a time or will sell half cords to. Have many cords available and will not be selling out of wood. Get it now before the price increase, seasoned wood is expected to be as much as $400 a cord this winter!
Will deliver within a ten mile radius of Charlestown/ Ashaway no delivery beyond that. PRECISION FIREWOOD & LOGGING. show contact info
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 5289965922 posted: 7 days ago updated: 3 days ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]
Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.
© 2015 craigslist help safety privacy feedback cl jobs terms about mobile
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

OH logger

I think that precision logging and firewood is a member here :-\
john

Thank You Sponsors!