iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

405 Franklin with a cummins 3.9

Started by David-L, October 22, 2015, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Looking at a machine to upgrade from my 225 Jack. Gonna look at a clean 405 Franklin with Cummins power, standard tranny and a 40 k lb Franklin winch. 18.4x26 rubber. Are these heavy machines and equal to say a 540 deere. No experience with Franklin machines and input will be helpful. How is their winch? Will this pull alot more than the 225. thanks.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

Just looked through the search engine on this forum and seems that the 405 is a good stable machine and a easy operator. What about parts for the drive train and winch? Thanks.

David-L

Went and checked it out. Very clean and 7k hrs. Like I said very clean and well maintained. 42 Franklin winch and looks better than straight. It's a 97 model. What is a fair value for this machine? really don't know much about Franklins, definately harder to get on than the Timberjack 200 series.

Nemologger

Hi David, I used to have a 405 several years ago. I really liked the machine, it had a 353 Detroit. Was really stable and the winch was really strong. The one I had was a 85 model so it was getting pretty worn. Ran it hard for 5 years only put one front diff in it. I would have to say it would pull right with a 230 0r 540b.
Clean and Sober

David-L

Nemologger, any thoughts on value. Thanks

BargeMonkey

I had one and they are a good machine. Not quite a 540 but eats a 440 alive. Stable, easy on fuel. Cummins is cold blooded in the winter. Mine was a powershift. That winch will pop a grade 100 choker QUICK. The pivot takes a little getting used too. Pretty easy to work on. 95% of the parts are easy to get, most of the stuff is off the shelf parts. Winch is pretty easy to work on. Get the serial # and call Bakers in OH, they can pull the line sheet for it and tell you everything you want to know.

loggah

I dont know if it will pull a lot more then a 225,but you will be a lot more comfortable and still be able to hear at the end of the day ! ;D the limitation to loading the skidder heavy is the small tires, to much wood will roll the tires on the rims and cause tube and tire failure.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

I had 8 sliders on mine, if you where cutting real big stuff 4 was plenty. When she is heavy you just have to remember that the cab is the pivot, you get hung up turning a corner hang on. They don't burn much fuel, nicer to run than a detroit, cab will hold 2 saws easy. I would keep a cable cutter and ferrule handy, that machine will rip cable and chokers quick. Oh, the doors can hit the tires and you can rip one off, that's why most Franklin have no doors so be real careful. Probably the most stable machine I've ever had, those 18.4 tires fit in spots you wouldn't think possible.

loggah

I used to leave the nuts off the door hinges,if you happen to catch a door on the tire or chain it just knocks the door off!! ;D ;D dont do much damage but those doors are heavy to put back on ! :D :D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

Good info from all. Thanks. Still in negotiation with the owner. He wants my Jack and some cash. Gonna drive it and pull a hitch or two before I commit if I do work out a price thats good for both of us. I figure its' a 25k machine as far as price goes and thats tops.

Mark K

I have a 94 405. Same exact setup as your talking. Pull alot more then a 225. Owned a 225 for many years. Winch is alot better to. It will pull apart a 9/16 mainline if not careful. Only difference is mine has 23.1-26 rubber. Nimble in the woods as u can unlock the differentials. Use it quite a bit to bunch for my c7d.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Mark K

Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

xalexjx

looks to be in good shape in the picture, with chains 25k doesnt sound like a bad deal
Logging and Processed Firewood

timberlinetree

If you get it you'll be a little warmer in that cab this winter. Good luck and hope it works out.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

brendonv

Your jack is a gorgeous machine, to bad i had no use for a skidder i love it.

I run a forwarder with that same cab but its called tree farmer. Boy i hate getting in and out of thay thing!
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

David-L

Going to test this Franklin out tomorrow and was wondering how you check for play in the center section cradle. Is it done by turning it back and forth or by using brakes to come to a stop? other than looking for the obvious is there anything else that these machines are known to have problem spots to look for. Thanks.

lopet

Push the blade down so your front axle is off ground,then put it in low gear and let the clutch out a bit and back again. You'll find out very quick .
Good luck
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

millcreek40

Check it over very good. Pull some wood with it if you can. I just got burned by not doing that. After two hitches my new to me Deere 540b has a blown head gasket. The man promised it was woods ready. Not so much
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

North River Energy

I'd be leery of any machine with a fresh paint job/new decals. Might be absolutely nothing wrong with it, but just the same, it's intentional sleight of hand.

millcreek40

I agree. Mine wasn't even painted but looked real good. Just stinks to pay around 20k then start out with big repair bills. Just be careful. I was not careful enough & it's going to cost me. Good luck. It sure looks nice

David-L

Guy was a part time logger and machine is one of the straightest I have ever seen besides new. I have talked to everyone that has any knowledge on Franklin of this vintage and Baker and sons and the Oliver store in Maine. I have got some info and will be as thorough as i can be. i am getting a little older and that cab and heat are something for me to consider. Thing is I know the Jacks pretty good now but this is a 20 year upgrade and will pull more but still small enough to do small woodlots and quieter. Leaving in a few to check it out. That post from Millcreek has me ultra cautious.

millcreek40

Sorry about that. Not meaning to scare you. Just telling you what happened to me just last week.  Good luck & keep us posted

North River Energy

David,
Might have you mixed up with another, but seem to recall you sold off another Timberjack and wished you hadn't?

Other than the mechanicals. I'd pay close attention to your initial impression on getting in and out of the cab.  That age thing etc...
Ran a very capable mini excavator this summer that drove me nuts with entry exit.  Constantly bumping into the door frame and snagging my gear on the controls, etc.

Good luck with the inspection.

KWood255

Would you consider parting with your 225 if this deal doesn't work out?  If so, please let me know. Or if anyone else knows of a 225-240 TJ for sale, please let me know.

beenthere

KWood
There is a "wanted" section here, with info about posting such. Just FYI.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!