iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple of dog houses?

Started by edkemper, October 22, 2015, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkemper

I need to build a couple of large dog houses for my tractors (the backhoe will have the stinger outside). The sides enclosed and the ends open. Just something to keep them out of the weather. I was figuring on 4x4 posts and thinking about these to anchor them to the ground.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oz-Post-T4-850-4-in-Square-Wood-Post-Anchor-30182/203215009

Constant breezes but no terrible high winds. Probably a conventional style roof topped with Galvanized panels. Open and airy but will keep the rain and snow off of them.

May do the same for a more enclosed generator house.

Yes, no, maybe?
Old Man

Brucer

My son-in-law used one of those anchors. It secures a 4x4 post that supports a solar powered fence charger (which keeps the bears out of his bee-hives, which are on my property ;D).

The wooden post is 5' tall and has less movement at the top than a post embedded in the ground. I'd be a little concerned about it's ability to resist pulling out if there were gusting winds.

I'd suggest some diagonal bracing near the top of the post. Even a gentle wind can exert a lot of force when it's pressing on the side of a building.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sandsawmill14

i have never used them but i like the idea for post and fences but i dont think i would trust them to hold on a solid wall. as said even a slight breeze would put alot of pressure on a 8 - 10 ft tall wall  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Don_Papenburg

drill a post hole and fill with cement , then stick that thing in the wet concrete and adjust to the right height . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!