iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Epoxy

Started by Bill Gaiche, October 21, 2015, 05:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I need some help on Epoxy used for filling crack in Oak. I have use some in the past, but it seems to never really get hard enough to sand properly. What brand do you guys use? Thanks, bg

sawwood

Bill I use T-88 from System 3. I bought it from Amazon and it works real good. I also can tint it to match
what wood I have or as a deigned stamen. I have used it on my turning to take care of cracks.

Lester 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Kasba

I use a brand called West, not sure if it is available in Canada only. The # dictates curing time.. I use 105.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

mesquite buckeye

I also use system 3. The biggest problems come from: 1. Not following instructions regarding the relative amounts of resin and hardener. 2. Poor mixing of the hardener with the resin. 3. Old colorant that has gotten a little stiff and not mashing it around enough to have a uniform mixture.
My gloppy don't want to get stiff problems has always come from one or more of these.
;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sprucebunny

I've used quite a lot of West System on boat building projects and almost always had trouble sanding it. Most of my uses were thin layers rather than large blobs.
I always wondered if heating it would make it set better.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

21incher

I usually mix in some fine sawdust from the lumber I am filling and it seems to make it easier to sand. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gfadvm

I get the System 3 from Woodcraft and am very meticulous about mixing it 50:50. It has worked well for me. The double syringe stuff from the big box stores was always a problem :(

WDH

I recently called and spoke with Forum member tule peak timber about this very same subject.  He recommended aeromarine.  I ordered a kit of their black epoxy.  Have not used it yet though.  Coming from Mr. @tule peak timber, whose craftsmanship I highly respect, I felt that it was the way to go.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kcwoodbutcher

I also used aeromarine on my vanity top per Robs suggestion. I filled a very large crack using about a gallon and a half for the fill. It's a joy to work with, sands and drills great. You must follow the instructions to the letter and take the time to watch the videos on their website.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Brad_bb

I've not had a problem with West Systems and #105 hardener.  I mean, sure the epoxy is harder to sand than wood.  You take a coarse grit on a dual action sander and sand it down close to the level of the wood and then use a medium grit to get it flush and then a fine.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jueston

i use some epoxy i found at a big box store and it didn't really get hard enough to sand. i used west system with 105 hardener and i was really happy with how hard it set up and how it sanded. just like brad said, its harder then wood, so you have to deal with that, but once i got the hang of it i found it pretty easy.

Dodgy Loner

I've used the plane old clear box store epoxy without any trouble. Occasionally it sets up soft - that means I got the mixture wrong. It can take a couple of weeks to harden if you get the wrong mix of resin and and hardener. It can be tough, because one tube always comes out easier than the other.

One tip that may help: If you have a lot of epoxy to remove, don't try to sand all of it down. Use a hand plane or a sharp chisel to remove it flush with the wood, then sand the little that remains. It'll make your job a lot easier.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Larry

I've had trouble with it sanding before.  I wondered if my mixing was in error.  If it calls for 50/50 mix and one just mixes a small amount it's easy to be off on proportions.  With a larger amount the error is less.

I've been using West System G Flex for a few years now with good results.  It has a little extra flex so if the wood moves it can move with it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bill Gaiche

This is a little Burr Oak table that I made from a tree that was about dead from our yard. This was what I needed the epoxy for to fill some cracks. I used some walnut butterfly to check some cracks.  finished it with semi gloss poly. bg

r>

hackberry jake

The quantity you mix at one time is also a factor. The larger the batch, the faster the reaction happens because as the reaction starts, it produces heat. And with larger batches the heat builds up quicker and the epoxy starts hardening quicker. I mixed half a gallon once and it got super hot and started fuming up before I poured it into the large crack on a table. It set up nicely though  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

gfadvm

And it turned out really nice. I love the bowties and particularly like the way you arranged the 2 top slabs.

Magicman

Outstanding Bill !!!    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Fanastic job. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ozarker

For future reference, look at EnviroTex products. http://eti-usa.com/category/consumer-products/

Nice job on the bench!

tule peak timber

Nice looking bench Bill!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like the little bow ties. Character.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

If I'm filling cracks in wood I use fine saw dust and good wood glue.
If your going to staine your wood do it before you do this.
The glue will stop the staining. I first sand my project and stain.
Then I mix up the glue and sawdust and fill my cracks.
After it dries I sand flat and stain the patches.
Really works great. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!