iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harbor Freight Mill Mods & Repairs

Started by Kingmt, October 21, 2015, 10:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

Oh one more thing. I went out to take you pictures & found another barring sticking. It is in my roller so I suggest popping the seals on these & adding some grease.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

dukecrazy

I would have to dig around to find the pictures I saw of the sweepers over the rollers to help prevent the dust buildup. I'm definitely going to inspect the rollers good once I get the mill here.
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Jeff

Quote from: Kingmt on November 13, 2015, 08:53:34 AM
Well looks like my time is up to be able to edit the first post.

Yup, that is correct. Funny you bring it up. Because of complaints of someone going back and editing posts that effect other peoples subsequent posts, basically altering Forestry Forum content, for the first time in 15 years the privilege to go back and correct a post at a later date has been lost to everyone,  You now have a generous courtesy edit time, but after that is up, no more edits without an admin doing it for you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I always figured you couldn't edit after someone replied.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Kingmt

Quote from: Jeff on November 13, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
Quote from: Kingmt on November 13, 2015, 08:53:34 AM
Well looks like my time is up to be able to edit the first post.

Yup, that is correct. Funny you bring it up. Because of complaints of someone going back and editing posts that effect other peoples subsequent posts, basically altering Forestry Forum content, for the first time in 15 years the privilege to go back and correct a post at a later date has been lost to everyone,  You now have a generous courtesy edit time, but after that is up, no more edits without an admin doing it for you.
Fair enough. I hope that wasn't me. I go back & edit to correct typos or add information I forgot the first time. I do try to leave a note to point out the edit unless it is just a spelling correction.

Would the admin or moderator staff be willing to copy from those three post & add it to the original  for easy reference?

Jeff

It was you, and no, we have enough to do. It is totally unfair to your fellow members for you to make a post, then for them to make a post based on the previous posts, then you go back and make edits to your posts. I don't care if you date them or not. I think it might serve you well to find the link at the bottom of every page, and read the rules here.  Your posting methods, no matter what your intent, are not going to fly here. Even the membership tried to point that out to you before this was brought to my attention.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

No, because it doesn't make it easier to reference and follow the conversation and flow of the discussion..  Just the opposite,   Nobody goes backwards while reading a thread.   I'm not sure if this is the way you're used to doing things at other forums but why not try to fit in and stop mentioning you have a better way if you like it here.  That would be considered respectful behavior where I come from.
Jeff has spent hundreds of hours making it easier for you to follow simple instruction.  You won't even try to follow the step by step directions.   You would just rather mention that isn't how you are going to do it. 

Kingmt

OK

Thanks for pointing out I don't fit in. Sorry for the trouble I have caused.

Mooseherder

You missed the point entirely. I told you a couple weeks ago to do your research before commenting further on the subject.

Kingmt

I don't know how else to respond. I've tried to choose my words wisely & respectfully & still get meet with hostility. Rather then getting to the point of being ban I'd rather just not post since it seems that the harder I try to be respectful the more offence is taken.

I'd assumed you meant to read the rules which I did. If I point out anything about the rules it is taken as disrespect.

In the end it isn't my house & my point of view isn't wanted which I'm fine with. I'm fine with enjoying others post with no input myself.

thecfarm

[/quote]

for the first time in 15 years the privilege to go back and correct a post at a later date has been lost to everyone,  You now have a generous courtesy edit time, but after that is up, no more edits without an admin doing it for you.
[/quote]

That's kinda of a bummer.  :(  I go back and fix some of my grammer mistakes. I guess I better be fixing them faster now.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dukecrazy

I was looking at buying another log clamp or I guess what would be considered a log dog, how good is HF at items like that being purchased? Do they even do that since it isn't a regular product they sell?

dukecrazy

Anyone with the HF mill do there own mill extensions?  I purchased a 10ft stick of angle iron to do my own and was wondering who else has done it. 

Kbeitz

I made one for my mill using 3" channel. But i dont have a HF mill...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dukecrazy

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 17, 2016, 10:44:43 PM
I made one for my mill using 3" channel. But i dont have a HF mill...

I have to cut the angle iron down to match the mill specs bc they aren't even demensions but other than that the biggest issue I have is my local area only has the square tubing in 20ft sticks and they want 135 for a stick.....not gonna happen haha.  I'm thinking of just waiting the 4 or so weeks it takes HF to send out parts if it saves me some money.  OR.....making my own out of 2 pieces of angle. 

StimW

I made this extension so i could cut 16' boards for my HF mill.

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

dukecrazy

How much length did you add to the mill in order to achieve the 16' capability?

StimW

I took the channel iron and cut it in half for the sub-frame but I don't remember how long I made the angle rails.
My mill is down at my new 10 acre property so I can't measure it.
Just measure the saw head at the blade at the start of the rails and at the end and add how ever much length you want to cut.
Add about a foot more than the board length that you want to cut so log placement isn't too critical.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

dukecrazy

Oh, I have already purchased and cut my extensions. I was just wondering out of curiosity how much you added to get your 16' cut. I'm only adding 5ft to my mill but it will give me the capability to cut 10-12ish feet which is all I want and need.

I will say I have since started to rethink my extension plans bc of how cheap the angle iron was to purchase. At $33 for a 10ft stick it's tough to not go ahead and buy 2 more sticks that way I can get a uniform rail system instead of having to weld up the area where the HF rail connects with bolts..... decisions decisions.  :)

MrPorter

Just got my HF mill over the holidays too, been looking at my options for extending it and making a trailer base for it.

dukecrazy

Have you set the mill up yet?  If so, made any cuts?  You'll be very surprised how well this HF mill performs. 

thecfarm

MrPorter,welcome to the forum. What's the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Quote from: StimW on January 18, 2016, 06:47:10 PM
I made this extension so i could cut 16' boards for my HF mill.

What size channel did you use for the trailer build?

Magicman

Hello MrPorter, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Adding your location to your profile helps with questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunterbuild

I found some 20' angle off a highline. Three sticks for $150. Two of them let me cut 18' logs. Going to cut the other one and make my tracks a little longer. Like to cut 21' or so. I've had some problem with

the head dropping as I cut. Been clamping the tube with a vice grip for now. Works but an extra step.     

Thank You Sponsors!