iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building with green lumber

Started by Kingmt, October 21, 2015, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

Does anyone build with green lumber? How green is to green? Any extra steps to take building with green lumber?

Right now I'm cutting pine but will probably expand to some hardwood. I have mostly oak that is big enough to saw. Some walnut is just big enough but I'll probably let it grow. A little Sycamore but I know it isn't very useful.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Sixacresand

The only problems I see with building with green lumber are it is heavy, skrinkage and folks telling you that you should not build with green lumber.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

go up with it quick, and expect shrinkage, with some projects it works fine while others not so, it depends on the job.
Lots of folks here do plenty of sheds, barns and such with no issues, just go up quick, or be prepared to work with the potential crooks and bowing.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kingmt

I can't be quick. I only get two to three hours a day to work then I have to go make money. Maybe if I can work in sections.

Right now I'm just going to be building sheds. Later it may be a house tho. I'm wanting another piece of property that is well wooded & there will be some construction on it.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I built my barn out of green pine framing and green poplar siding. I put siding hard together (vertical) and it shrunk a bit but I intended for it to do so. No problems as far as I was concerned. It was not very quick as I work 50 plus hours a week. Saw one Saturday and build the next. Suits my needs perfectly other than the fact its too small after a year! ::) Go for it, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

deadfall

Quote...its too small after a year!

The Incredible Shrinking Barn.
  What a horror movie. I guess that's what happens when you use green lumber.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Good catch! That's pretty funny. I didn't think about it that way, goat parts sticking out the windows. Terrible! Nah the lumber worked out well. Cut it and nail it up. jmtc, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Kingmt

Quote from: deadfall on October 21, 2015, 12:51:37 PM
Quote...its too small after a year!

The Incredible Shrinking Barn.
  What a horror movie. I guess that's what happens when you use green lumber.
LMBO
Yeah I've heard it will shrink if you build green. Everything I have must have been built green because I usually try to get way bigger then I think I'll ever need & it still ends up not being big enough.

ncsawyer

All this is green SYP.  Shrinkage on framing lumber is no big deal.  But if you are trying to trim something out, you will have gaps.  Also expect some mildew and mold on the lumber especially if it rains on it.  I usually keep a backpack sprayer with bleach to spray on the wood to kill any mold.   Also turns the wood back pretty and yellow.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

samandothers

Deadfall beat me to it, I thought the same green wood on a building causes it to shrink and be too small.

I will use some green board siding and screw it in the center of the board versus two screws or nails on the edges.  I have heard some say that poplar in particular is hard if you let it dry before putting it up.  I guess I will find out as I have some that will not be green when it goes up!

Kingmt

fishfighter

I'm building a guess house/camp. All green lumber. Bleach is your friend for any mold.

I been building it in stages. That is the easy way for me due to I work on it most of the time by myself.

So far, the only real problem I had is that one floor joist went to hell and it dipped about 1" in the center. I will be adding a new one next to it to fix that problem. Haven't looked yet, but chances are that I installed the crown wrong. ;D

My plans include using a lot of oak inside. Been having that cut now for about 5 months, air drying. By the time I'm ready to use it, it should be dry.

As far as the SYP for framing. Cut it one day and nailed it the next with no problems so far.

Kingmt

That looks good. I was thinking of buying some cinder blocks & setting my post on top & building a pole shed.

I had also thought about laying 4x6s from Oak on the ground & building on top of them but I don't know how well they will hold up.

slider

I built my pool room with somewhat green trusses,not fresh off the mill but not dry enough.The mud cracked at the seams on the sheet rock.It's not a big deal in this room but i would not want this in my house.Probably going to re-mud the joints this winter.
al glenn

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kingmt on October 21, 2015, 07:31:10 PM
That looks good. I was thinking of buying some cinder blocks & setting my post on top & building a pole shed.

I had also thought about laying 4x6s from Oak on the ground & building on top of them but I don't know how well they will hold up.

I would never let the wood touch ground unless it was treated.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

Fishfighter, I like the concrete piers.  Did you pour them or are they store bought?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

snowshoveler

Well...I have seen people spend the big bucks for the kiln dried lumber.
It arrives in a shrink wrapped bag. It looks very nice and its banded together.
Maybe 1000 board feet in a bundle...then you cut the straps. It explodes into the worst mess you ever saw.
My slabwood pile looks better.
I have always built with stuff right off the mill and no problems.
Some is sawn for a few weeks but not much.
Most homes built here before the 70s were put up green.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

fishfighter

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 21, 2015, 08:13:31 PM
Fishfighter, I like the concrete piers.  Did you pour them or are they store bought?

Just poured the pads. The piers are store bought.

Brad_bb

Regarding the Bleach spraying, do not use over 10% bleach to 90% water.  Anything over 10% will not provide any better mold killing/cleaning.  5% will work just as well as 10%.  You could probably go even less than that.  I would not use over 5% personally.  It doesn't take much.  It works pretty fast too.  I think my first post on the forums was how to remove mold from some spruce logs I peeled.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

I been using a cup to a gallon of water. Bleach is cheap and sun will burn it off. ;D I will be spraying borax soap too soon just for the heck of it. I will mix that real strong. Then just let it dry.

Kingmt

Is the borax for bug deterrent/poison?

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kingmt

Thanks. I didn't know that. Wife uses it to wash clothes in.

SineWave

Quote from: ncsawyer on October 21, 2015, 04:33:49 PMexpect some mildew and mold on the lumber especially if it rains on it.  I usually keep a backpack sprayer with bleach to spray on the wood to kill any mold.   Also turns the wood back pretty and yellow.

Have you (or anyone else) ever used Borax for this? I know it's toxic to mold, mildew and dry-rot spores, without being hazardous and somewhat corrosive like bleach.

Thank You Sponsors!