My HM-126 (2015)

Started by SpyderGreen, October 21, 2015, 01:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpyderGreen

After years of wanting a sawmill, I finally purchased an HM-126 from Woodland Mills. I want thank the members of FF for helping me make a decision based on facts and knowledge and especially CharlieP for letting me demo his HM-126.

It was no easy decision when it came to which mill to buy. I looked at the LT-15, LM-29, and the many other mills of similar specs. Read on FF for years as to what folks had to say about the mills they purchase and why and how it worked out for them.

When it came down to it, I did buy the HM-126 mainly for its purchase price. For my configuration of the HM-126, tracks to cut 20 foot logs, and box of blades all delivered to my doorstep was a whole lot cheaper than just the base model mills from other manufacturers.

Not to say I am bias towards Woodland Mills, but I did the best research I could short of buying each mill and trying them out.  Each mill on my short list had its plus and minus. The LT-15 appears to be a sturdy well-built machine, but I did not care for the cranks system and the way the sawdust came out. The LM-29 seems to be not as beefy as the LT-15, but the price reflects the saving on the material and the operator station was opposite the sawdust shoot.

The HM-126 was a compromise that was in my favor. Definitely not as beefy as the LT-15, but after checking out the HM-126 in person, I was willing to compromise the beef for the money. And after putting my mill together and dropping a solid pine long onto the bunks, it held up impressively great. I was loading my first log onto the mill and accidentally released a 10 foot 20" water-logged pine onto the bunks from about 6" high. It was an Oh-7!@#%^&* moment, where I thought I had crushed this thing I barely had put together.

The HM-126 relatively close in design, in my opinion, to the LM-29; the way you push the saw head into the wood and how the sawdust exits the opposite side of where you walked. I like how the controls for the engine and lube system was all in one location. Ultimately it was the price of the HM-126 that was the big deciding factor.

I purchased the HM-126 at the beginning of October and received it about mid-month. Finally had some good weather and time to start piecing the mill together. It was a slow going one-person job, but it can be done. I would suggest you read over the manual well, unlike jumping in like I did; there are some key points that can save you some headaches.

My initial setup for the mill was some old pressure treated 2x6 that had been lying on the ground for some time now. The site was not a level as I though and I did max out the leveling feet from one end to the other. As mentioned earlier, I loaded my first log to test out the machine and start my first project. What would be more fitting than to cut some real supports for the mill to rest on?

The beams came out pretty good for this first time green sawyer. I can see Magicman laughing when he looks at my pictures. I figured 4x6 beams would be beefy enough to support any of the logs I will be placing on the mill. Just got done piecing together the support and transitioning the saw head from the make-shift setup to the permanent one.

To end my rambling, I would have to say the HM-126 is a capable sawmill for what I am using it for. It's no production machine with all the hydraulics, but it definitely reasonably price for a person to jump into sawing their own wood.

Woodland Mills HM-126
MX5100, KX121-3, Old Dump Truck

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Looks like you got some equipment to move some logs too.Like the view too.
I have a manual mill too. Get a Logrite cant dog or peavey,sponsor on the left and you will be all set.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SpyderGreen

Had a Logrite set ordered before I started putting the mill together. The cant hook or peavey in my case is a must and back saver. If you look closely in one of the picture, you can see it propped up against the excavator.
Woodland Mills HM-126

thecfarm

Now I see the Logrite. In a bunch of pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

squidboy51

Got my HM126 Wednesday the 21st.
I am impressed with the mill, assembly and set-up was not bad at all, manual was pretty complete and 2 days later I was converting perfectly good logs into saw dust. Shipping was 7 days, that was fast and the crating of the mill was excellent. All hardware was there, no damaged or missing parts, thank you Woodland Mills.  :)

I envy your mill site, I found my area pretty tight and not graded properly. I use a track loader with forks to load my logs on the mill, I will have to re-work the site to make the approach to the mill more user friendly.

I have many bug killed Ponderosa pines to mill, possibly some Black Oak in the future when I am more experienced with the mill.

good luck with your mill,

squid
Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill SpyderGreen, and

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, squidboy51. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SpyderGreen

It took years to get that site. Started out with a pick axe and shovel and finally upgraded to an excavator and will never go back.

I am impressed in general with the mill. If any this is the bottom of the list, then I am envious of the other mills; especially hydraulic options for turning log.

If I ever go production, I know I would need to upgrade...LT-28?

Woodland Mills HM-126

squidboy51

I would post some pictures of my mill site and equipment if I knew how.

squid
Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Magicman

Go to the home page and scroll down to the very bottom.  The last board is Jeff's Picture Posting Tutorial   :P

After you give it a try, feel free to ask questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

squidboy51,welcome to the forum and the world of sawing.
What's all the lumber going to be used for?
I had to bring in 2-3 loads of gravel to get a level place to operate on.

squidboy51

This is my work area that I will be working on to make it more user friendly, especially loading the logs on to the mill frame.

I told my wife the new mill was working me to death, so she took my picture to prove it.

squid

SpyderGreen

Nice! That guy looks like me everyday.  ;D
Woodland Mills HM-126

Magicman

Thanks for sharing your work location and sawing operation.  I doubt that you will overload that "log handler". 

squidboy51

Thanks Magicman, theCfarm and SpyderGreen for the welcome and replies.

I took the forks off the loader bucket, and found I could see much better and put the log on the mill frame much easier. I guess my old eyes and weak depth perception like being closer to the target. They are the clamp on type, easy on and off. I will use them for stacking boards though.

I milled a 16', 25" diameter pine today, had to peel the bark off to get it to fit. I used my 5' antique cant hook, but what a work out to rotate that log. I think I will try and use the loader and a strap wrapped around the log to roll a log tomorrow. Any hints from you experts for a green horn???

I made 2, 6x6 beams, 6, fence boards ( 1x6 ), 6, 2x6s and some 1x14" slabs that look beautiful, don't know what I will use the slabs for yet, but by the time they are dry I will have that figured out.

SpyderGreen, looks like you did major dirt work to get your work area carved out.
I was thinking about using some 6"x6" beams to make a frame to set the sawmill on and screwing the leveling feet to the beams. How do you like your wood frame?

squid

beenthere

squidboy
Do yourself and your mill a favor and put in a log deck of some sort, so you can set the log on it with the heavy equipment, and gently roll it onto the mill. The log deck need be little more than a couple logs laid down perp to the tracks.

And welcome to the FF. Great on the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

squidboy51

beenthere,

I like your idea, should be able to adapt it to fit my site. I definitely do not want to beat up my mill or break something.

Just came in from putting rain tarps over my lumber stacks. I didn't mind working in the rain, maybe we may get a normal or above normal rain season, after four years of drought, constantly eating dust and the extreme fire conditions a welcome change.

squid 

SpyderGreen

I understand where you are coming from with setting up a staging area for loading logs with equipment and then rolling it. That will be a later project. A long list of to-do and time keeps the little projects on the back burner for me.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Dave H.