iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer autoclutch- should my drive belt squeal?

Started by hunz, October 20, 2015, 09:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So I adjusted my drive belt tension to the recommended 7/16" deflection at 18 lbs or whatever the manual says back during the middle of summer. I pulled the mill out yesterday to do all my maintenance to get ready for my round of winter mobile sawing. After getting oil and filters all swapped around I fired her up for a test run. I noticed right off hand that my drive belt wasn't making that initial squeal when autoclutch is engaged. What is your perception of squeal vs no squeal in relation to whether or not the drive belt is tight enough? Possibly just a temperature caused variation. What I'm getting at is now I'm second guessing if I tightened the drive belt right from the get go although I'm not sure how I would've buggered that one up. I didn't have a blade on but didn't think that would make any difference of how the engine loaded up......maybe so. Can anyone enlighten me?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Stephen1

I am not positive,but I would want to put a blade on and then test for your squeal. Mine does not always squeal.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bandmill Bandit

can depend on the belt IF it is adjusted correctly and then it could be humidity or lack there of,  air temp etc.

I like to sdjust mine to the tension guage tool and then fine tune to "feel".

As a rule if you can just slide the belt a few inches on the driven pulley with out a lot of effort but enough to need both hands you should be good.

BUT remember not ALL belts are created equal even if they are the same brand. there is no fool proof ABC steps and measurements that will work every time. requires fine tuning to touch an sound.

I just back off a 1/8 of a turn on the lower turnbuckle on my auto clutch till is quits squealing ant then tighten 1/8 and call it good. And thats about where you can slide the belt 3 or 4 inches  with a bit of effort. Thats about where it will be at 14 to 18.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just put a new belt on my mill.

The most important thing is to get the right tension on your belt.
15-18 is normal.
Once you know your tension has been set right.....your ok. The chirp noise it makes will vary depending how old your belt is and how polished your drive wheels are it goes around.

Make sure your brake is properly set.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ncsawyer

On both of my mills I have always had the characteristic drive belt chirp.  My old mill had over 2000 hours and was only on its second drive belt when I sold it earlier this year.  I don't ever remember it not chirping.  My new mill chirps initially and changes slightly with humidity.

I agree with POSTONLT40HD, every time you adjust the drive belt you need to adjust your brake strap.  If its raining or really humid my brake strap will squeak as it stops the blade, but will only do it until it gets the moisture off of the brake.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

terrifictimbersllc

My 42Hp drive belt is adjusted right, and is in good condition.  Right now it does not chirp or squeal when engaging.  Often in the past it has.  I thought about this too but don't know what the difference is.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Set to proper tension then forget about it. WMs chirp. If it's loose, you will have quality issues, if it's tight, you could cause damage.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hunz

Well, i'll throw the blade on today and see if that makes the difference. If not i'll set it and forget it like Dave said. I had always heard that if your drive belt is tensioned  right, you'll hear that chirp, but it seems that may not always be the case, just a good rule of thumb. :)

Kbeitz

It dosent matter how tight you tighten a belt it will slip.
You can see this with a strobe light.
You can watch a belt walk right around the pulley with one.
You can even make it look like it's walking backwards.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

I played around with mine some time ago, and was able to control the chirp by changing the timing between when the Autoclutch tightened the belt, and when the throttle sensor sped up the engine.  My thought was that if the belt came tight at the low RPM side of the throttle up, there wouldn't be as much slippage and chirp instead of the main drive belt coming tight after the engine was at full RPM where there would be more initial slippage and chirp.  So I adjusted things and got the belt to not chirp at all, and I was chirp free for awhile.   8)

Then, as the belt loosened, and adjustments were made, it started chirping again and I just didn't want to bother with it.  It chirps now but I just don't worry about it anymore although it is an irritating sound.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 21, 2015, 05:23:15 PM
I played around with mine some time ago, and was able to control the chirp by changing the timing between when the Autoclutch tightened the belt, and when the throttle sensor sped up the engine.  My thought was that if the belt came tight at the low RPM side of the throttle up, there wouldn't be as much slippage and chirp instead of the main drive belt coming tight after the engine was at full RPM where there would be more initial slippage and chirp.  So I adjusted things and got the belt to not chirp at all, and I was chirp free for awhile.   8)

Then, as the belt loosened, and adjustments were made, it started chirping again and I just didn't want to bother with it.  It chirps now but I just don't worry about it anymore although it is an irritating sound.

:D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

I had to trim a  couple of pieces of mantle today and mine did chirp today. i guess i am used to the way it sounds and only notice it when its not right sounds like a magpie instead of a black bird. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

petefrom bearswamp

only notice an occasional chirp, but with ear muffs on I cant hear it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hunz

Well after running the mill for 15 minutes today on a portable job......the chirping has returned. Must be a belt rigidity and temperature thing for me. Fall has fallen, and winter is upon us!

Magicman

I will put a new drive belt and brake on mine tomorrow.  We shall see.   :)  Oh yes, most of the time, I hear a chirp, but I am used to it, so I don't actually hear it.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Did a trim job for a customer when I got home this evening and it was raining and about 2*C. The belt did a bit more than chirp tonight.

MM do you change the brake band every time you change the drive belt? i have a little mod I do on the brake band that give about 3/8 more adjustment so you can actually wear the thing out. Have to be vigilant towards the end of its life to make sure you don't end up with  metal to metal contact. 

Magicman

It seems that I was dealing with a chicken/egg situation.  A stretched/worn belt plus a worn brake.  Anyway, I had better get to it and go to work.  :-\   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

The new drive belt and brake band are on and adjusted, so I am back to chirping again.  Gotta love that sound.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Sawyers were chirping before Twitter was tweeting!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!