iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20’ Open side container kiln

Started by Geeg, October 20, 2015, 03:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

Looks like it could do double duty as a meat locker and butcher shop come late deer season.

Looks sharp, I am jealous.   ;D
Woodland Mills HM130

rasman57

That is a quality prepared project that will serve you well.   Nothing as good as doing it yourself with a good plan and the right gear.  Good stuff.

DDW_OR

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on June 15, 2017, 06:59:08 PM
Looks like it could do double duty as a meat locker and butcher shop come late deer season.

Looks sharp, I am jealous.   ;D

or a serious SMOKER  8)  food6
"let the machines do the work"

YellowHammer

That looks great. 8)  Its really coming along.

I would highly recommend installing a protective structure around the kiln unit to keep boards from falling on it or bumping it when loading since it is a front loader.  It needs to protect against loading the pallets of lumber too far in the chamber and accidently bumping the unit.  It is critical to protect the kiln from any damage or impacts because of the fragility of the refrigeration system.  In my other kiln, I assembled a sturdy metal shelving unit around the kiln to serve as a metal frame bumper.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

BigZ La

Geeg

Thanks for the accolades and feedback guys, YellowHammer, I will definitely weld up a cage for the kiln unit, good thinking!!

Will probably get it running sometime in Sept, had to go back to work to pay for it  ;D, just a little over budget.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

bucknwfl

Looks great, very clean set up and looks user friendly

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

plantman

Wow, I like the sound of that but it must be very pricey. How about just spraying the metal down with diesel fuel ? Ha ! Or simply getting some galvanized paint ?

Quote from: Geeg on October 21, 2015, 03:08:34 AM
Not sure if anyone has heard of this but did some research and found that RUST GRIP may be the answer, can even spray it on the wood floor to protect.  http://www.spicoatings.com/products_solutions/rust_grip

plantman

Geeg

Update on the kiln, we have run a bunch of loads through it and am very happy with the results. Here is a Vid on YouTube with a customers load that we put through that was air dried for a couple of years. The wood was Elm and Ash.

https://youtu.be/UXYXxlhYbSo
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

K-Guy

Geeg
Take a look at the Nyle recommendations for a 20 ft container kiln on our website. We recommend 5 fans because a shipping container doesn't allow for the best airflow. ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Geeg

Thanks for the info. You use 9'6" containers?

K-Guy

Hi Geeg
Yes but insulated. Call me tomorrow about your power vent install.
800-777-6953 Ext 212
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Geeg

In transit, if not tomorrow then monday.

charles mann

Looking at doing the same thing, only mine is a front load conex. How hot does it have to dry the wood? 

Geeg, what type of fans did you use? Did you seal up the factory vent holes, or cut them out to put in your bigger vents? I had started on a wood frame structure to use as a solar kiln, but i didnt measure twice before cutting and my loading opening is a bit to narrow to get some of my slabs in, so i scratched that idea and bout 2 20' containers, 1 as a kiln, the other as my work shop.

Some of yaw mentioned enclosing the container. To what extent are yaw reffering to, as enclosing it? A box around a box? Would a roof above it, walled in behind it and an awning off to 1 side be sufficient? 

I set the containers up close to my power pole, then sepperated them 16' apart, to give me some kind of a work space for metal fabbing projects. I am going to put a roof over both containers, about 10-12" from the container roof, with a 1" in 8' drop for water shedding. I will evetually wall the back side in and add a 20' awning off the kiln container side. Since that will require welding, i think it would be best to get the roof on, then measure for the awning and go ahead and weld the steel to the container before putting up insulation. 

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Geeg

Quote from: charles mann on September 02, 2018, 05:16:32 PM
Looking at doing the same thing, only mine is a front load conex. How hot does it have to dry the wood?

Geeg, what type of fans did you use? Did you seal up the factory vent holes, or cut them out to put in your bigger vents? I had started on a wood frame structure to use as a solar kiln, but i didnt measure twice before cutting and my loading opening is a bit to narrow to get some of my slabs in, so i scratched that idea and bout 2 20' containers, 1 as a kiln, the other as my work shop.

Some of yaw mentioned enclosing the container. To what extent are yaw reffering to, as enclosing it? A box around a box? Would a roof above it, walled in behind it and an awning off to 1 side be sufficient?

I set the containers up close to my power pole, then sepperated them 16' apart, to give me some kind of a work space for metal fabbing projects. I am going to put a roof over both containers, about 10-12" from the container roof, with a 1" in 8' drop for water shedding. I will evetually wall the back side in and add a 20' awning off the kiln container side. Since that will require welding, i think it would be best to get the roof on, then measure for the awning and go ahead and weld the steel to the container before putting up insulation.
The kiln can get as high as about 150F so to dry the temp does not go above 120-125 and then when the load is complete, we bump it up to 140-150 to kill the bugs and for the equalization process.
The fans are factory fans, The factory vent holes were covered up by the insulation that was glued to the walls.
Good luck with your build.
Geeg

Crusarius

Get a big enough truss over the containers to give you the awning without having to do anymore framing. Then you do not need a column line or header if you want to have your mill under the awning.

The truss will have to be deigned for that kind of loading.

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on September 04, 2018, 12:36:13 PM
Get a big enough truss over the containers to give you the awning without having to do anymore framing. Then you do not need a column line or header if you want to have your mill under the awning.

The truss will have to be deigned for that kind of loading.
Already bought the 2 i beams, 4" sq tubing for legs between conex and i beams, 8" perlin and the R panel. I was thinking about putting the mill under it, but with it being 5' from the house, and my log bed will extend into our driveway. Plus i wanna place to park my tck and the wife wants to be able get her jeep under cover. Eventually im gonna rebuild the porch and make a covered walkway from awning to porch so unload groceries in the rain, wont be an olympic swimming event. At most from my intended place for my mill, it'll only be at most 75' from mill to kiln. Saw half a tree, take it over to kiln on tractor, mill the other half, stack it on top of first half and roll the wood into the kiln. Its simple in my head, but in reality, doing it all by myself, will make a bit more challenging. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

BlackberryPines

How has the kiln held up?  I'm looking at building the same setup.  Anything you would recommend doing different?
-LT50 Wide, Cat 252, Stihl 461 & 261

Geeg

The kiln looks like it did the day I finished it. There is no rust or corrosion I believe because of the rust grip. 

The things that I did after was a game changer. I installed an additional 2 fans so 4 fans total to get better uniform air flow and the second thing I did was to spray an additional 2 inches of closed cell foam to increase the R value to around 25.

I also installed a Chinese diesel heater (8kw) to preheat the kiln to get it above the 80 degrees so that the compressor would come on and add to the heat supply, once the kiln gets up to temp, I shut the heater off and the load keeps hot with just the compressor running, this saves on electricity.

BlackberryPines

Thanks for the feedback.  I figured I might need 2 more fans.  I'll be getting those on the way now.

Did you do anything to insulate the floor?  I was thinking of tipping it on its side and spraying foam on the bottom.
-LT50 Wide, Cat 252, Stihl 461 & 261

DDW_OR

Quote from: Geeg on June 13, 2017, 05:57:21 AM

are you going to add some protection for the foam insulation. i can see them getting damaged

also the video is dead

Geeg

Quote from: BlackberryPines on May 23, 2023, 09:42:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback.  I figured I might need 2 more fans.  I'll be getting those on the way now.

Did you do anything to insulate the floor?  I was thinking of tipping it on its side and spraying foam on the bottom.
When I bought the container, the company included a sprayed bottom with closed cell foam, not sure what the r value is.

Geeg

Quote from: DDW_OR on May 23, 2023, 11:50:21 AM
are you going to add some protection for the foam insulation. i can see them getting damaged
also the video is dead
I did not add any protection to the foam, there is a couple dents and bruises but as long as you are careful loading and unloading, I have not had any issues, the foam is quite hard just by itself and seams to lock everything together.
Not sure what happened to the vid, will have to ask the wife.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Geeg on May 24, 2023, 07:15:49 AM
Quote from: DDW_OR on May 23, 2023, 11:50:21 AM
also the video is dead
I did not add any protection to the foam, there is a couple dents and bruises but as long as you are careful loading and unloading,
you have a mill. you have built a Very good kiln.
an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Thank You Sponsors!