iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 in jointer by Goodell & waters

Started by wizard4cu, October 18, 2015, 07:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizard4cu

My father passed away and I'm trying to find out some information about a jointer he had.  it's a 12 in jointer, very heavy cast iron, name on the side says Goodell & Waters. It has a 4 head blade on it, the table is 68" long and 18" wide.  I believe it was originally run by a belt, but it's currently got a 3HP motor mounted to it.  It seems to run fine and the blades aren't actually to bad.  I was wondering if it's worth anything or should I sell it for scrape metal.  I really don't know anything about these things.  This thing is huge and heavy.

sandsawmill14

DONT SCRAP IT.   :o  if its in working order it will be worth more than scrap :) where are you located ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

wizard4cu

Gillett, PA.  It seems to work really good as far as I can tell.  If I shouldn't scrap it, when where do you sell stuff like this and what should I ask for it?  I don't see stuff like this on ebay?

gfadvm

If I lived closer, I would be by to get it tonight! If you have no need for it, put it on Craigslist.

Larry

I was at the scrap yard last Tuesday...they are paying $60 to $100 a ton so it would hardly pay to haul it in.

It looks in pretty good condition.  See if you can find a guard for it.  You can do a google to see what information can be turned up.  You might be able to sell it here, don't know if you need a minimum number of posts.  It will sell on craigslist at the right price.  Might take some time.

In the right hands, I bet it can be a productive machine.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wizard4cu

I didn't find a guard, at least not yet.  I can post it on craigslist, what should I ask for it?  Or a better question, what should I get for it?  Thanks!!! :-)

VTwoodworker

Hi Wizard,

You can learn more about the manufacturer over at the vintage machinery website and there are guys that can answer your questions about the jointer over at owwm.org.  They do not do appraisals over there so don't ask what it is worth.  There are plenty of people that would love to have the jointer and the old machines of this vintage do show up on Craigslist and eBay occaisionally.  If you are looking for a quick sale, I would list it for 2x what you think it is worth for scrap.  I think it would go quick at that price.

If you have any interest in woodworking keep this.  With some restoration work that jointer would be better than the Asian machines sold today.

Kcwoodbutcher

As far as price I'd say $500 to $800 should move it fairly fast.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

beenthere

I doubt it ever had a guard. Only have the cutterhead exposed enough for the width of boards jointing.

Ours at work didn't have guards.. those things are more a "modern" thing by those trying to hold our hands.

Those are great finds for the serious woodworker for jointing rough lumber ahead of the planer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

51cub

+1 for don't scrap it. The PA Lumber Museum isn't all that far from you. I imagine one or two of the members there would be real interested in that. If I had a place to put it, I'd be on the way
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

sandsawmill14

i would love to have it but its just to far from me  :(   947 miles according to google
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ljohnsaw

Well, I'm 2,675 miles away, don't really have a place for it but would still love to have it!  That's a great old piece of iron.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Knocker of rocks

I see that you've been to  OWWM .  Please be patient and don't scrap that beast.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Wizard - I will be about an hour away from you in a couple of weeks and would be interested in coming out to take a look at it, I will send you a message.

If you are serious about selling it I would split the commission to the forum with you if things work out that way......I will be in touch so we can chat.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

hackberry jake

It appears to be a Babbitt machine. Try jiggling the cutterhead with the machine unplugged to see if there is any play. That machine still has more full days of work left in it than a new tiawain model.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!