iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chaga?

Started by Woodhauler, October 18, 2015, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Anyone on here a user of it?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What is it? Don't think I know this one. say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Not me.  I googled it.  It is some kind of mushroom with medicinal properties. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

I was told by a friend who has used it that it is a medicinal something or other that grows on one or both of the local birches. It is a grainy ugly lumpish black thing growing on the tree. You grind it up and make tea etc. Supposed to be a good anti oxidant.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WV Sawmiller

Hauler,

Never heard of it. I thought it was a South American dictator or drug lord. (Is it even politically correct to admit that?)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodhauler

While moose hunting , my buddy got 2-3 pounds of it. Looks like a cow patty on a tree! He is more then welcome to use it.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You eat them wild cow patties off a tree and you'll thing its Halloween 30 minutes.  :D :D :D

Ken

Seems to be quite popular among some.  Found on overmature white and yellow birch.  Looks like a lump of charcoil on a tree.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

DanG

I opened this thread because I thought it was a Mainer with a question about battery chargers.  :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: DanG on October 19, 2015, 08:47:12 AM
I opened this thread because I thought it was a Mainer with a question about battery chargers.  :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D You're kiling me DanG!

Autocar

Bill

Woodhauler

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 19, 2015, 01:17:09 PM
Quote from: DanG on October 19, 2015, 08:47:12 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D You're kiling me DanG!
Yahall want to talk about funny accents???? 

Sixacresand

Seems like I remember back in 70's,folks would pic mushrooms off cow pies, make koolaid out of it and then see pink elephants in the room. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

coxy

they are getting 120$ a pound for it here  ???

John Mc

Chaga isn't the stuff with hallucinogenic properties
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

whitepine2

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 18, 2015, 05:01:28 PM
What is it? Don't think I know this one. say_what
Ya grind it up and sprinkle it on "GRITS"  yum yum

coxy

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1wkinsley

It is a fungus on Birch trees. I have mainly seen it used for chaga tea which tasted pretty good. But it is a health nut thing mostly.

DonT

I made chaga tea last winter,many make a tincture from it.I think it has its merits.

jake pogg

Greetings,everyone.

This is my first posting on this board,so let me briefly introduce meself:My name's Jake Pogrebinsky(good Irish name),and i'm an aging river-rat,infesting the middle-Yukon R. valley,roughly between the villages of Ruby and Galena.I came to Alaska 29 years ago,but have lived here,400 miles downriver from the nearest road,for the last 21 of these...Living thus,"far from the madding crowds",convinces one that he knows EVERYTHING :P,so that you're very lucky that you now have me on here...But even luckier is the fact that my internet access is spotty at best,so that you're safe,afterall! ;D

But,be that as it may,it was my twisted fate to've been born in the good ol' USSR(i was brought here as a kid so i'm not really a commie,promise).And thusly do i know a little of this fairly recen fad,the Chaga! :o
There are regions in Siberia that have used the stuff from time immemorial,and at some point it came to the attention of authorities that the incidence of cancer there,SEEMINGLY coinciding with the areas of the chaga-guzzling,are strikingly,suspiciously low.
Now,the soviet authorities were anything but gullible on the subject of folk-medicine,quite the opposite,they were mean,cynical,and disapproving in re; of any non-allopathic business,but the statistic was too glaring to avoid.
And zo,they prodded and poked at the chaga business in their pharmacological labs,and being rather dysfunctionally-beaurocratic have taken their time about it(no idea what reflection the time had on thoroughness,but they didst sliced it and diced it for a goodly while.
And...Nada...zilch,no connection at all between the many and sundry alkaloids in chaga(some fairly exotic),and the cancer research(of the period,at least).
But,the statistics were still there,and so grumbling and dissatisfied,they desisted,but(atypically)without denouncing chaga with the Opium for the Masses label;it was all just inconclusive...
And so the Myth lives on,here,there,many places,and the legit bio-chemical jury is still out... ::)...And the villagers in the deepest,darkest Siberia keep on chugging chaga,but then again,one look at the shelves in them village stores would drive one to drinking even more interesting stuff....

Meanwhile,it tastes decent enough(very much like Lipton tea),and especially if the water where you're camping is foul-tasting,makes for a good hot drink,while out and about.And,most conveniently,the stuff's EVERYWHERE!
(The post above mentioning it selling for hundred + bucks a pound must be incorrect,else,have i missed my carreer opportunity YET again?!Well,won't be the first time...

Cheers,and hope that it wasn't too brief!:)
"You can teach a pig anything,it just takes time;but what's time to a pig?"
Mark Twain

Magicman

Wow, it is nice to meet you here on the Forestry Forum, jake pogg, and Welcome!   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jake pogg

Magicman,thank you,Sir.

I'm actually not that that much of a clown,normally.And have joined the board for  reasons having to do with serious,legit questions in regards to the wood technologies.
My personal interests are often towards the older,even arcane,methods,hand-tools related(my forging anymore is strictly woodworking tools),but life being what it is,even here,on the day to day basis i'm likelier to be using a Stihl461 or a band-mill.
I AM very lucky to be living here,as the backwardness of this place allows me to play with making my own charcoal for forging fuel,or taking liberties/experimenting with the log-building joinery,et c.
I'm honored to be here,and would like to take some time to look around,so as to be more respectful of all everyone's time,when asking questions,or(God forbid),volunteering some information.. 
"You can teach a pig anything,it just takes time;but what's time to a pig?"
Mark Twain

Magicman

I won't forget, but add your location to your profile so that everyone will know.

We are planning another Alaskan trip next year, but our travels will be on the highways.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: jake pogg on October 25, 2015, 03:45:47 PM

I'm actually not that that much of a clown,normally.

Wait until I get through with ya.  :D

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the FF.

Goat.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!