iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ME AND MY WHITE OAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Started by gmabob01, September 29, 2004, 05:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmabob01

YES, IT IS ME AGAIN............WHAT WOULD YOU DO.
BURR OAK, 5' DIAMETER, 2 1/2' LIMBS, ON THE GROUND.
CUT INTO 6'-8' LOGS TO TAKE TO THE MILL?
WHAT WOULD YOU MAKE OUT OF IT?
BENCHES?  FENCING? TABLES?
HOW LONG CAN IT LAY IN IT'S FALLEN POSITION WITHOUT RUINING THE WOOD?
WRITE THE THING OFF TO FIRE WOOD???
WE HAVE CHAINSAWS, PLANERS, WOODWORKING TOOLS.................
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????????????????/

Ed_K

I cut some white oak today too, I will mill all straight ones 6' and longer into boards and sticker. (end coat now, I use oil base paint I get from the recycle at the dump). The rest goes to firewood. Some are only pole size, they will be used for uprights on a polebarn.
Ed K

Ianab

Got anyone in the area with a Lucas or Peterson portable mill ???
If so they can bring the mill in on a pickup, set up around the log, saw for a couple of hours and leave you with a pile of boards.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gmabob01

Kirk_Allen

gmabob01,

Are you in Illinois city, Illinois?

IF so that is 260 miles from me.  Kind of a long way to go to mill but if you willing to cover the fuel costs on top of our milling rates I would be more than happy to help you out.

The 5' diameter is a bit of challenge for my band mill but if you can cut it in half with a chainsaw then we could manage it.

Do you have any pics?  Is there any rot in the tree?  

How many logs do you have and what sizes?  This would help to estimate how many BF of wood you would get.  Once knowing this it may be esier to make a decision.

Kirk

OneWithWood

White oak is a very tough and durable wood that is relatively rot resistant.  It would be a good wood to use for any outdoor applications.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kirk_Allen

Quotegmabob01,

if you can cut it in half with a chainsaw then we could manage it.

Kirk

Length wise of course ;D

rebocardo

I have not sold any dimensional white oak, though I have sold white oak table rounds. People really like them.

At 5 feet across, I would cut them into table rounds. It would make an awesome table. I would get a guide for the chainsaw to make even cuts. I find it impossible by freehand to cut squarely on one side and then go over to the other side and have the kerfs meet up exactly all the way down the log.

I am cutting up a 48 DBH oak with a 28" saw and I have not cut one round evenly yet, though I am getting close. Getting two square sides on a round as big as that, you would need that guy named Rosie.

I have found skip chain is the only way to go, though it tends to pull the saw to the right.

Thank You Sponsors!