iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anybody include a Pallet setup with their Mill???

Started by just_sawing, October 17, 2015, 09:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

Have been approached by a friend that need some specialty pallets and wants me to consider suppling him. It appears feasible and we are looking in to it.
Just wondering if anyone has this as a part of their operation?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Ron Wenrich

I worked with one outfit that made specialty pallets as a sideline.  It's feasible if the price is right.  Figure out what the bf price is, and see how it stacks up against selling blocking.  I'd build one, just to see how much time is invested.  Then you'll know if it's worthwhile or not. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

drobertson

done a few, nothing on the order of regular, I figure anything that fills the bill if the bills are met.  Good prints with all the dimensions and criteria very important.  Stringers are at the top of the list for strength, then the proper decking with the proper fastening.  Strength is critical .
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

I have sawed and built a few special pallets for a stave mill.

The key in my book is to have cheap logs that won't make anything worth more.
The ones I built had 3 3x4x42 stringers and 3 4/4x6x72 deck boards and were screwed together, got $12 apiece for em.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WH_Conley

I have one company that I build a specialty pallet for. It comes up to $1.75 a board foot. Most of the material is salved as I cut other orders.
Bill

YellowHammer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 17, 2015, 12:16:50 PM
I worked with one outfit that made specialty pallets as a sideline.  It's feasible if the price is right.  Figure out what the bf price is, and see how it stacks up against selling blocking.  I'd build one, just to see how much time is invested.  Then you'll know if it's worthwhile or not.

smiley_thumbsup

I tried it for a little while for a guy who built custom sized specialty pallets.  After I'd made enough to get a good handle it it, I realized the $$ margins were too tight, and got out of it.  It just wasn't my thing.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

If you're actually making the pallets, and not just the wood, you can really speed things up using jigs and standardizing everything.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Quebecnewf

I did about 60 or more for the local fish plant. These were your standard skid in softwood. These were one way palettes so nothing special. Nailed together with air twisted wire nails.
Was a great way to get rid of substandard boards and wane boards as well as 2x4 of lower grade.

You will need to jig it up for speed but that's pretty simple. No longer do this as they have to use hardwood palettes or heat treated wood not green.
If you have scrap lumber to get rid of you can make money. If your using good lumber maybe not so much. More wood and work in a palett than you think.

Quebecnewf

CaseyK

Just Sawing
Do you already have a mill? If not you might want to consider one of the D&L twin blade mills.

One of the members named Doublecut (i think) had one that he used mainly for cutting up materials for building pallets. I remember he said he was building them part time on the weekends.

I have searched the forum for information concerning the same thing and most replies were that it was mainly just a way to use up low quality boards and/or the only way you could compete with the big pallet plants was to build special order items like MH_Conley had mentioned.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Home built automated twin blade

just_sawing

Have Resaw, edger, 20 Inch Chop Saw and a LT70
With the Rail operation I currently have three employees and this looks to be a good feel in job.
I have a farm that I need to reduce a lot of too small for tie trash trees. I am moving a Storage container that the back 14 feet will be a dry kiln and the front would make a assembly room. It will have a 24X40 shed attached to it.
You can follow me at

starmac

Odd that this thread has come up at this time. Just yesterday I was talking to an old logger that is in the process of going back in business and he used to make pallets when he was in business before (different location. This time he is planning on just logging, no mill, but he mentioned the market should be good, as the biggest supplier of pallets in the state has gone out of business.
What does a finished, standard pallet usually sell for??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

A few years ago in my area a standard pallet was around $13 each.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Thanks. I didn't have a clue, but really figured a bit lower, the way I see them wasted.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

just_sawing

You can follow me at

Thank You Sponsors!