iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old car in da U.P.

Started by Jeff, October 15, 2015, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

What do you guys think something like this is worth? 37 Chevy. Looks like world's of possibilities to me if a guy could get it cheap enough.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

That would be a street rodder's dream, but no idea about the value.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I first saw this car, I thought of Bonnie and Clyde you and Tammy.  :)

It would look nice restored. I just don't know anything about the worth.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandsawmill14

do they have the rest of it fenders, grill ...  ??? i seen one about like it and they were asking 3500 it was complete but had some rust issues in  floor pans and around the back end where bushes had grew up around it  :(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

It might be worth a couple of hundred to the right guy. The 37 is not popular with rodders especially being a four door and it is not complete enough to be of interest to a restorer except for parts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terry f

Original price won't matter much unless you are going to flip it, most are a time and money pit.

47sawdust

Hey,that's the car my folks had when I was a kid in the early 50's.Dad got shamed into buying a new car in 1955 and my older teen age brothers got the '37.They got into so much trouble in 2 weeks time my Dad took it to the junkyard.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

florida

I'd guess a couple hundred tops.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

21incher

I had a 32 chevy 4 door in about the same condition, but the frame was boxed with chevy small block mounts and a 55 chevy rear that I sold several years ago and I was able to get $1200.00 for it from a guy that built rods. Took quite a while to sell it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

Not as much as you'd think. few hundred.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

A lot depends on the frame. I bought my old 51 F3 and thought I got a bargan but I neglected to climb under it. frame was weak, rusted and had been welded crooked. Ol Bluey is probably going to be a parts truck.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

They want to much. For what I'd want it for the frame would be irrelevant. I was picturing 4 wheel drive ratrod using the old ff truck. The body on that old car is better than my truck!

pineywoods

Them old chevys were never very popular either as rods or restorations. One of the reasons was a funky front suspension that was a money pit to rebuild, and even in good shape, handled  like a drunk on a skateboard..I think gm called it a knee action suspension..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodworker9

To the hot rod and restoration community, it has 2 doors too many.  That should make it very cheap if you wanted to get it.  Couple hundred bucks or so.....MAX.  If it was a 2 door, it'd be a different story.  Even though 37's were never that popular, the simple truth is that the usual hot rod suspects are getting all used up, and aren't available or easy to find.  Now, cars that weren't quite so popular, say, 15 years ago or so, are now getting turned into "cruise night" gems. 

4 doors are still the ultimate killer of value, though.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Jeff

I disagree on the doors in this case. Suicide doors are different. Suicide doors are cool.

Jeff

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Jeff on October 16, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
I disagree on the doors in this case. Suicide doors are different. Suicide doors are cool.

x2  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

That is what I was thinking when I first saw the picture but of course every Rod builder has his own ideas.  That linked car is way cool.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Just Me

Jeff I am a car guy, always have been and trying to quit. Worse than cigarettes I tell you.......

I keep an eye on cars and that particular breed of cars, the "not quite collectible" are cheaper to buy whole by the time it is all said and done. You can find that kind of ride in a drive-able condition for say about $5k. You can not get that car to a road driveable condition, not even counting that you have a drivetrain for $5k, not even close. Too much missing that is hard to find with no repops available.

Width will be another problem. That year car is a lot narrower than your truck, and they look ridiculous with the wheels sticking out so far, bad on an old truck, worse on an old sedan.

(craigslist ad deleted by admin)

Here is an example of what I am talking about....... This car is a tri-5, same chassis as a 55-56-57 Chevy.  So.... Many of the parts that are available for a Chevy will fit the Holiday. Heater core, windows, radiator, etc, etc. See where I am going with this? Its wide enough it would look good with a set of 36" tires under it. The worlds first Holiday 4door hardtop 4x4! I actually like the lines of the 4 door hardtop better than the two door. Had a 57 Chevy 4 door hard top.

If you are going to get wierd cars, make sure they are complete.

Or this one... (craigslist ad deleted by admin) Ok, I have to admit that second one is mine...shameless! :D

Larry

North River Energy

Nice wagon Larry.  Too bad you're not closer, I have a spare stick-shift wagon I'd trade...
Probably wrong decade though.

Don_Papenburg

The '37 and newer were very popular as gassers and with street rodders  because that was the beginning of all steel bodies for GM. 

Boss that 36 rat rod is cool looking  but it has a corvair front suspension .  OK but not the best in ride and handling
Look for a mid 40s early 50s  suburban or panel truck  to plop on your frame.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!