iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First mobile job is coming, what to bring? ** Update, did the job !!***

Started by Kipper, October 15, 2015, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

4x4American

I also bring a mess of short boards.  Sometimes to get the mill closer to level I drive it up onto some boards on one side, and if that side is the log loader side, I then put some boards underneath the loader outrigger support units because otherwise it'll be pushing the weight of the log into the tire.  Also I put a 6/4 board under each outrigger for flotation, makes it sink into the ground less.  A good sized pry bar is also handy.  Sometimes I use it to debark a muddy log, somtimes you have to pry something.  If u bring a dog, food, water, and leash.
Boy, back in my day..

Kipper

Well, we started about 10:00 am and finished up at 5:30 pm. The mill did great, I didn't need anything that wasn't on the truck. The logs scaled out to 1850 bdft on the international scale. The mosquitoes were real bad though, had to put bug juice on four times. This area had two feet of water running through it when the floods came a few weeks ago. I really have a better understanding of enjoyment that can come from mobile work. Met some cool folks as well.

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

bkaimwood

How much lumber came out??? 1850bf scaled, but by looking at the quality of the logs, I cant imagine finished product was close to that...not knockin' them, just hoping you did OK...most of stuff I saw isn't pretty. Did you get paid bf or hourly? Congratulations on the first portable job done!!!
bk

terrifictimbersllc

Woo-hoo!   8) 8)  Nice job & congratulations on your first one.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kipper

They wanted almost all of it slabbed with as much live edge as possible. I was paid on the scaled bdft amount. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next one.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

bkaimwood

Excellent!! Slabbed explains the non saw logs type appearance... The best kind for the application... Congrats again!! Feel free to post some slab pics, I'm a sucker for slabs...
bk

Kipper

Thanks !! I was so busy sawing I didn't get any pics of the boards or slabs. I may catch up with them again in the next few weeks to saw some more for them and I will try to get some them. I really liked the building in the background. It was built from pine and stained a year ago. It was very nice!!
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

WV Sawmiller

Kipper,

Congrats. The first job is always the most nerve-wracking. If they want you to come saw some more they were obviously happy. Word of mouth is your best advertising so keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hunz

Awesome!, like someone else said, the first one is always the most nerve-wracking. It's a great feeling to walk away after a day like that, and a pocket full of money.  By the way nice mill.....I have the exact same one. How many hours on the ticker?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Kipper

Thanks y'all! I was skeptical and almost waiting for something to happen... It really was a good feeling, makes me want to advertise so I can get some more.

It is a great machine, it just turned 400 hours.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Magicman

Congrats on a job well done. 

Just a curiosity, where were your blade covers?   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kipper

Thank you MM!

I usually do not saw with them on, just personal preference.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Magicman

I have seen what blades breaking can do.  I never saw without them, just personal preference.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Quote from: Kipper on October 28, 2015, 09:16:56 PM
Thank you MM!

I usually do not saw with them on, just personal preference.

I was going to ask the same thing.  I've seen my blade break or come off too many times not to have the blade cover on.  I hope your liability insurance man doesn't see that.  He might cancel your policy. :o
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

X3 it doesn't take long to put them on, not worth someone losing their eye over!

Nice setup btw. 
Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

That was some gnarly logs.  I like that grapple log lifter thing!  Never seen anything like that - looks like it works great in tight places.

Good job and hope to see some slab pictures.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

customsawyer

Happy customer always makes me smile. What is the reason you aren't using a drag back arm?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Quebecnewf

I saw with one cover off but that side of the mill is against the wall in my shed and there is no room for a person in there.

If I was mobile I would NEVER saw with the covers of. I to have seen blade ends fly when they break.
Your asking for trouble if you continue this practice. The law of averages will catch up with you. Just friendly advice nothing more.
Quebecnewf

Nomad

Congrats on getting the job done! 
     Sawing portable with people around and no covers installed would scare the snot out of me.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kipper

Ok ok for the sanity of all involved and my safety as well as all bystanders I will promise to never saw with the covers off again. Fwiw everyone at the site was instructed to stay behind the head rig while the blade was spinning.

The grapple log lifter thing is actually an old feller buncher, I thought it was pretty cool too, very maneuverable and strong.

I have been thinking about adding a drag back arm for a while and the time may be now to do so. It would certainly make board sawing a lot more efficient with my setup.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Magicman

I removed the Drag Back from my sawmill years ago to add those extra inched to the depth of the throat.  It served no real purpose sawing portable without roller tables set up anyway.  I will never reinstall it.

isawlogs

I would not saw with out the covers on... I don't even park the mill in my yard without them on. There is no advantage to not have them on, it takes so little time to take them off when a blade needs to be replaced.

( You could repaint them with your logo, name and phone number on them.......   :P  )

That being said,  ;D  ,you have a nice rig!  On those types of jobs, I saw by the hour its a win win situation. Those knarly logs can take time to cut through, they do though make nice slabs, but take extra time to cut.
  Actualy, I saw mostly by the hour now... Easier to make the bill out at the end of saw jobs.  smiley_smug01 :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

Quote from: Kipper on October 28, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
They wanted almost all of it slabbed with as much live edge as possible. I was paid on the scaled bdft amount. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next one.

FWIW, I've always scaled logs using International ¼ inch scale and added 15-20% and came out pretty close to the actual board footage sawn!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Ya, the Belle Feller Buncher with the log bucket is a real neat idea!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!