iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First mobile job is coming, what to bring? ** Update, did the job !!***

Started by Kipper, October 15, 2015, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Hey guys! Booked my first mobile job today. It's about 30 miles from home, plenty of room to maneuver around. Southern yellow pine and cypress roughly 1450 bd ft and clean logs. Just wondering what you guys think I should not forget?

So far I have the following items on the list:

5 extra gallons of fuel
Metal detector
Cant hook
small tool set
small jug of dawn dishwashing detergent
gloves
hearing protection
ten new blades
ATF squirt can

Thanks in advance. Hope this works out well !
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

thecfarm

Extra gloves in case someone wants to help.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Congratulations on the project,
I know there is a better list on the site but I found this one
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29941.msg431343.html#msg431343

Based on your list
More fuel, another 5 Gallons
Safety Glasses

One of these

Magicman

Drinking water and sammich.

Why would you need 10 extra gallons of fuel for sawing ~1500bf?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

I carry a zippered money bag with $99 cash and $1 in coin (the denominations are so that I can make change for any amount up to $100.00).  Also carry a carbonless receipt book, although it isn't needed that often.  Extra brochures and/or business cards in case a helper, or passerby, wants to know how to find you when they have a log(s). 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

homesteader1972

I bring a lot of things, never know what you need, but I would add

Shovel
Digging iron
Chainsaw
At least two cant hooks
Fire extinguisher
Plenty of water/drinks
Clipboard and calculator
Business cards
Toilet paper
Tape measure

I bring a toolbox full, another toolbox with mt extra mill parts and a 12volt toolbox. I also bring 5 gallons of soapy water ready to use, and a squirt bottle with diesel in it to use on the blade if it gets too pitchy.

Good luck on your first job!!!!!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

WV Sawmiller

Good items listed by all.

I'd add maintenance manual, cell phone and numbers for the mill (WM for me), leafblower, spare tire, tire iron and jack for the mill, wedges and hammer (in case you have to back a blade out), first aid kit, and a spud bar.

I assume you have already included PPE (gloves, glasses, hearing protection, good work clothes and safety boots/ shoes). I just now recovering a toenail on my left big toe where my son dropped a small log on my foot and nearly broke my toe a month 6 months ago.

Be careful and enjoy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

Quote from: Magicman on October 15, 2015, 08:35:40 PM
Drinking water and sammich.

Why would you need 10 extra gallons of fuel for sawing ~1500bf?

an excellent point,  as long as the mill is full prior to leaving ;)

D

thechknhwk

All good stuff.  You won't need 10 extra gal of gas.  I would add, cats claw, hammer (pulling nails), and some wedges in case you get your blade stuck, and a spray bottle of diesel if you're sawing pine and need to clean off the blade.  If you have 2 cant hooks bring both in case you and the customer need to team up on a log.

Alyeska Pete

Nomad

In addition to the things mentioned above, I carry a box of cheap foam ear plugs for any helpers/observers who would like a pair.  An inexpensive courtesy that seems to be well appreciated.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bkaimwood

Only thing I would add is a wire brush, to go with the extra diesel, for cleaning blades, or similar, and whatever wood pads you use underneath your leveling feet, if you do so...I typically have a selection in thickness from 1/2"-2"... A pile of them...oh yeah, and a spray can of an emergency spray rust penetrant, or similar... And a camera if your phone doesn't take pictures.... And a hat....and don't wear black if its sunny....and bug spray, and sunblock....and a great attitude!!! Have fun!
bk

Ga Mtn Man

In my neck of the woods, I never go to a job without wheel chocks.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I never set up anywhere without chocking both wheels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thechknhwk

Oh yeah, remember to park with the wind at your back.

dgdrls

when are you going?  I think we all want to know how it went for you

Dan

Kipper

Thanks everyone for all of the comments. It's scheduled for Saturday morning. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

terrifictimbersllc

My most common and annoying forgets are things I bring in the house after a job (don't keep in the truck):
-work boots
-lunch/drinks
-phone
-my means of making out an invoice
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

I think everyone about has it covered.  The one thing that I take that I didn't see listed is a small level to know when I get the mill level when setting up and of course a shovel.  I also have a neat scrapper tool from Tractor Supply that is just a wooden handle with a flat metal end to scrap bark or dirt off logs if needed.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

UpInATree

I like to bring a chainsaw with fuel and bar oil, and some wooden blocks just in case the ground is soft or really uneven.  Hammer and chisel?
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

isawlogs

Bring da mill!!!   

• chainsaw
  • cant hooks at least two

• axe
  • gas

• tool kit
  • blades are nice to have too!!

• a lunch
  • Something to drink
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LittleJohn

If your tow vehicle can haul it, I would bring everything you need x2; cause it being your first time being portable YOU WILL FORGET SOMETHING!

..."I would rather have something and not need it, then need it and not have it" 

Dont forget the little things, like sunscreen and bugspray, assuming its not snowing where you are at  ;)

4x4American

Looks like everyone covered it...one thing I also bring is a string trimmer, cause sometimes they have you setup out in the dingleweeds and I take 5 min to be a landscaper I've found that I like working in stubble over knee high.  Oh and I also bring a gun.  That's one tool that I'm hardly ever without.  Not really needed this time of year but an umbrella that I jam into my hitch for when it's so sunny I cant read my accuset screen.  Maybe chap stick if youre into it, good for many things.  Stop bleeding, make a candle, put on nose when its real cold, etc.  Also a broom and wire brush to clean off dirty logs.

Good luck!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Alyeska Pete on October 15, 2015, 11:11:21 PM
Ten new blades?  For 1,450 bf?

Can dull a blade in one pass.  Can hit multiple nails.  I'd rather bring a box of ten and not look like a bozo when I don't have any more blades due to the unforeseen and have to stop work to go get more blades. Some things you can get by without, but blades are arguably the most important part of sawing.  Just how I feel...
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!