iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell ultra t

Started by kb88, October 15, 2015, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb88

Hello everyone I just purchased a bell ultra t and I'm completely new to them. The question I have is how do you get the head to tip back. What handle function makes it do that? I'm not sure if its me or the machine.

Thanks

craigc

Its been awhile but.. I think it is one of the trigger buttons.  if you can't find it you probably have a problem.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

kb88

Well I only got one trigger button and it runs the saw. Other one is missing

kiko

The missing switch is to tilt the head up to grap the tree. It should only hold the head up as long as you hold the button.  The skid Cly should also be in free float when felling.  Hold tilt button, grab tree,  lift boom to take weight off rear wheel, cut tree using weight of rear of machine to open saw kerf,  hold on for dear lift because sooner or later one of them is going to shove back into you. 

3rdgenlogger

It has been a while, but I think the one that I ran had the saw function and head tilt on the same button (push one way to raise the head--push the other way to run the saw).

oldseabee

The switch on the left joystick runs the saw in one direction and the tilt in the other direction it feeds a relay for each function that in turn controls the valve for that function. Could be the switch or the relay bad, more likely the relay, it is seperate from the saw relay, usually if it's the switch you lose saw and tilt. The tilt cylinder has pressure on one end and a breather on the other, that's why you have to hold the switch or the head will drop. If the cylinder is leaking past the piston and the breather is plugged you can get a hydraulic lock then the cylinder won't move, or just a little.

kb88

Thanks that has helped alot was a wire broke now it works. Another question I have is when you grab a tree does it stay clamped to the tree or do I have to hold the joystick to keep it tight? Mine doesn't stay tight it

oldseabee

The clamp should stay tight unless it is cutting into the bark or it has slipped up the tree a little. Put a gauge on it and squeeze a tree on the ground and see if it holds pressure, could be the cylinder is bypassing and needs packing. To check that take the rod end hose loose plug the hose then squeeze a log and see if oil is coming out of the rod end if so the cylinder is bypassing and needs packing. Don't try this by bottoming out cylinder because you need to be checking the working section because that is where the bore will have the most wear.

kb88

I really appreciate the help. I checked it today and the packing is shot so I ordered a new one. Another question is how to I check the pressure on the bar return and what does it need to be at?
Thanks again

oldseabee

The saw feed cylinder is fed by hydraulics on one end to feed the saw out, the return is by Co2 from a tank inside the saw head, factory said that average pressure is 250 PSI, originally the machine came with a
Co2 bottle to charge the tank, most customers ended up using air and didn't bother with or have lost the bottle.
The Co2 pressure helps control the saw feed rate, depending on what you are cutting, if the feed is too fast the chain can bog down, most end up around 220 PSI, there is a valve on the the saw head to charge the tank, main problem has been oil leaking past the piston and loading up the tank.

kb88

I noticed the valve when I was taking the cylinder apart today. The bar seems to return OK but I'm sure how it's supposed to return. I cut some ash with it and it cut right through it. I need it to be right since I'm not that good at running it yet but it seems like its going to do what I need it to do. I really appreciate all the information its really helping me out!

oldseabee

Once you shut the saw off  Co2 pressure returns the bar to the ready to cut position. Big drawback is not having hydraulic pressure to pull the bar back if it gets bound up in the tree, but that happens rarely as long as you keep upward pressure on the head and forward pressure on the skid link.

Thank You Sponsors!