iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

225 timberjack vs 540 b

Started by millcreek40, October 13, 2015, 09:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millcreek40

Wondering if someone could chime in??  I currently have a nice 225 d timberjack 353 Detroit   It's a very nice machine but here's the question??  I just bought a 183  acres  some of it is a mile skid with some uphill skidding. Pulling three 16" trees is a slow go up hill. 2nd gear. It gets the job done but as I will be here for a while. I cut alone and do a bunch of firewood. Have been thinking about a deere540b.  Pros cons?  Some people tell me the Deere won't pull that much more.  I think it should but have not ran one. Others tell me the Deere is very tippy .  Deere parts very $$. On the other hand there QUITE. Any thoughts and thanks in advance
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

timberjackrob

I would rather have a 240 jack as the 540 deere just my opinion tho I just like the simplicity of timberjacks and had a 240 at one time it would pull a load and the cummins versions were pretty quite compared to the detroits.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

millcreek40

That's for the reply. I also like the  simplicity of the jack. Have you ever ran a 540. I have not. I did have a nice 508 cat. I sold it because of the cost of parts. I did not have any tranny issues with it. But I made the mistake of looking up what a trans job would cost. Scared me so I bought the timberjack. I just found a nice 540 b for 20k. Nice clean rig. Just not sure

Nemologger

I have owned both a 225 jack and a 540b deere. If I had to choose one to run all the time it would be the deere.
Clean and Sober

millcreek40

I know the Deere certainly is quieter & has much more as far as  creature comfort. How about on steep ground??

CCC4

First off, I am more of a full time faller, but as of late I have been running skidders in steep rough terrain. Second, I have been running bigger skidders than what you are inquiring about...450 C TJ and a 648 G3 Deere. Even though more seat time has been in the 450's I quickly settled in and appreciate the 648 in rocky steep terrain. It's larger footprint and just overall better mechanics would push me to the Deer line of larger skidders. My boss has always liked 450's because we run through so many of them and parts are so easy to interchange and readily available with a lesser price tag. If it were me as an owner operator, I would choose the machine not the cheapness of parts. I have ran probably 10 different 450's in the last 2 years, climbing into the 648 is like climbing into a Rolls Royce compared to the 450's I have run...except for So Ill Logger's 450...now that is a well kept, good steering and powerful 450 for sure...so 1 out of 11 for me. LOL! (meaning I really liked 1 out of 11 450's LOL)

None of this may help but these are my own findings and can sort of play into your original question.

Mark K

I had a 225 for many years till my business out grew it. Ran a 540b for a while too. The one I ran had 18.4-34's on it. Tippy on the side hills. Alot more comfortable to run on a day to day basis though. A friend of mine has one with 23.1-26's. Alot more stable. Cant knock a timberjack though
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

millcreek40

The one I am looking at has 18.4s I personally think the skinny tires go in deep snow much better than the wide ones. The cat i used to own had 23.1-26. Deep snow it just would jump up & down.  Do you think the 540 is say more tippy than a c5.  I do realize that it wouldn't be as stable as the timberjack.  Just seems like everyone is telling me the 540 is very tippy. I am in upstate ny so we do have some steep ground

ehp

all I can tell you is a brandnew 540B we got back when was upside down before it even got off the landing and it had 18.4 by 34s on it , johndeere delivery man flipped it by trying to drive over a log on the landing to show us how stable it was compared to the 230 it was replacing , nope not even close but it was faster in the bush

millcreek40

That must have been  impressive. I guy I haul wood for told me that he has tipped over 5 skidders in his  career . Said 4 where 540s. Maybe I should learn to live with the noisy Detroit

millcreek40

timberjackrob

never run a 540 but had a 440 at one time it was pretty weak on power and wouldn't go nearly as good as the 208 I have now.i notice you said you work by youself a lot might want to give some thought to having to climb on and off a deere all day too.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

millcreek40

I guess I must be like everyone else.  Just want to pull more than I should. Lol. The 225 pulls fine till you have to skid uphill then it just seems to light. Go light & go often I guess

Nemologger

I have worked in the woods for over 35 years, ran a lot of different skidders. I have never turned one over and we log some steep Mississippi river bluffs at times. Anyone can turn one over the trick is to NOT turn one over.
I did have a guy helping me a few years ago had a 240 Jack up on 2 wheels and still laying the winch to it. Needless to say I fired his stupid a$$ on the spot. Guys that know me know I wont put up with skidder abuse.
I can honestly say the skidder that would pull the most I ever owned was that old 240.
Clean and Sober

millcreek40

I agree with you totally!! I realize you can tip any of them. Just seems some are better than others. I ran a c5 for a while. It's more tippy than the jack. Imo. How does a c5 compare with the 540b. About the same??  There are a lot of 540s around here.  Just seems hard to believe there that tippy.

Nemologger

You take a 540 with 23.1 tires and it aint as tippy as you think, I had a 540 B grapple with fluid in the front tires...really hard to tip that girl.
Clean and Sober

millcreek40

Thank you for that. I have never driven one but would surely like to. Don't get me wrong.  I am in no way putting down the Deere   My fathers  construction co ran nothing but Deere with great luck.  That's why I am looking at one

tom h

I have a c5 treefarmer cable skidder with a 353 detroid also have a 540b with grapple and winch. The 540b has 23.1x26 tires and is pretty stable,the tires are loaded.  The 540b is a lot more skidder especially using the grapple with powershift transmission,also is a lot more maneuverable.The winch on the c5 is a lot better than the one on the 540b.I have spent a lot more money keeping the 540b going,but is more fun to run.If I have to winch a lot of trees I use the c5 Tom h

David-L

the 540 is a very friendly machine to run and I love the powershift. That said, I do alot of TSI work and cord wood and getting off and on  my 225 Jack is way easier than a Deere skidder. if I had a chopper ahead of me I would consider the deer but I am a one man team and that on and off eats you up by the end of the day. I would get a 240, Cummin's or Detroit and you will be glad you did. And they are alot cheaper to run than the Deer as parts are cheaper and still available. My two cents. Good Luck.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

millcreek40

There is a 240 for sale not to far away with a  Deutz   Maybe I should be looking at that instead. They are nice & quite.  About the same money as the Deere

Spartan

If it were me...
long skids with some uphill, hands down I would want a heavy machine with POWER.  I would not want to be making 3 times as many mile long skids.  Git er done and do it quickly.  Of course I own a light machine with little power (TJ 450a) go figure.   But I cut my teeth on a CAT 518 and that thing will haul wood.

David-L

That 240 with the Duetz will pull. Check the engine over real careful. there should be no oil around the juggs and the injection pump area should be dry also. brakes in the transfer case are expensive to rebuild if they are not working. I had a 225A with a five cylinder Duetz and wish I had never sold it.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

lopet

What are they asking for that 240 ?  The reason I am asking is, because I have seen them selling for very reasonable money and on the other hand i have seen them way over priced. But then again, it all depends what the previous owner had put into, and maybe can proof it . :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ehp

Its pend so long I cannot say if the 540 would out pull my 230A , I'm thinking they should be pretty close but one thing for sure is my 230A is cheaper to run per year as parts are cheap and have very little trouble , we had tranny trouble with those 540B and there not cheap to fix up here , Very little difference between a 240 and the later 230A's with cummins power in them

Ken 45lc

I owned and operated a 240D with 18.4x34, and a 540B with 23.1x26 and to me the Deere was just as stable, and more powerful and nimble.

I know I'm going to catch crap for saying this, but I didn't like that Timberjack one bit, well except for the ease of getting on and off. Someone sandblasted the serial tag on it so that you could no longer read the number, this made getting any part a royal pain in the butt. There wasn't any TJ dealers near me, so getting parts wasn't easy. And I have to laugh when I read everyone saying that Deere parts are so expensive, I had to pay $95 each for a stinking wheel seal on the TJ.

I found the Deere much easier to work on, you can actually remove the skid plates on the Deere and reach everything. The TJ was welded on, changing the hose on the steer jack is a nightmare. The dang starter on my TJ (453) seemed to go out once a year, and that was always a pleasant job to do in the woods. To me the Deere was more accessible, and the parts much easier to obtain so that more than offset the price difference to me.

Keep your fluids clean and the machine greased and it should give you years of good use. I could go on, but I'll shut up for now.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Thank You Sponsors!