iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a timber framed firewood processing shed

Started by rjwoelk, October 13, 2015, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

My proposal  is a 16 ft wide by 30ft long timber framed shed,post foundation 6 ft in the ground then a 6x8 sile plate. 8x8 posts, 8x8 top plate or should it be 8x10.  4x6 rafters,  32 inch spacing,or could i go 48 inch. then strapped for the steel roofing. This will be all closed in sliding doors. Exterior all board and baton. Want to keep  everything under cover and out of the winter snow.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Justin Bailey

I am using 48" 4x6 rafter spacing on my woodshed that has 16' lengths but across a 12' plate distance so that I have 2' overhangs, but I live in Pennsylvania, not Saskatchewan, snow load as you have, 32" sounds better for your area. My strapping will be 24" apart 2x4, laying down, w 2x6 along the edges and 2x8 fascia. Follow my thread as I am building this structure right now, but piecemeal because I have to work around a regular job, and do it in my time off. My structure has no walls either, The idea being to dry the wood, for burning, I don't know how well walls work to accomplish that, especially on a smaller structure. Should have some kind of draftiness, or venting. I am just an amateur though, so I only mean to comment really.  smiley_dozy_bored

rjwoelk

Thanks Justin, No it is not to store firewood in, it is for my processor,  a storage / office / coffee room. So a 3 bent shed. Office, processor, and the tractor in the  last one which houses the chip room. We dont process in  winter , just from spring to freeze up so end of November, see what this year brings as with it to be a warmer winter who knows.
What pitch do you have on your roof, I was thinking 6/12 or 8/12.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Justin Bailey

Windyhill

Sounds like a fun project. 6' in the ground sounds excessive 36" is below frost in PA, go 42 if you want a little more. 6/12 or 8 would be fine, I personally like the look and extra storage potential of a 8/12.  How high are you planning for ceilings?  Are you planning a concrete floor?  I always try to think ahead and build so I can use a building for something else in the future if needed.  Like close it in and turn it into a shop. : )   

DeerMeadowFarm

rjwoelk

12 ft to the bottom of the top plate, that way my out feed and infeed conv can be folded up and all is inside. Here we need at least 4ft in the ground to keep them from moving. It will be wooden floor better for the feet,  got lots of door opening for breeze to keep me cool, or close up if its windy.I have a 36x72 ft for a shop.

Andries

Foundation depth at six feet is a good recommendation. Those of us in Canada live 'North of Normal'.
Last winter, we saw many water lines freezing at five feet below grade.
Frost heaving of your poles is a huge headache and has ruined many good structures.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Grizzly

Put a good 6" of 1" drain rock below each post. I've had several contractors tell me that by keeping any water pocket away from the bottom of the post, shifting rarely happens. And yep, I support the 6ft below grade.

And next trip to or through Regina I intend to stop by for a coffee and tour!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

rjwoelk

You are most wecome grizzly. Do stop we are only 100 ft off the 11.
Thanks for the info.from all of you.
We have a machine shed with a 6/12 pitch plenty steep, to work on, when it is steel roofing.
Andries, were do you live, I drive for Bigfreight out of steinback in the winter, travel to pembina crossing lots when going north or south.

Andries

I live in Winnipeg, I do my sawmilling in Oakbank and our tree service company operates in Southern MB.
Tell you what, when Grizzly heads over to check out your tf build, please let me know. Meeting you both would be a good reason for a road trip.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

rjwoelk

Will do, good to have like minded folks available for all this lumber stuff.lol

Grizzly

Grizzly

My offbearers have decided to leave Dad alone the weekend of the 28th. So if you want to make plans?............

rj - you enjoy the highway for me will yah? I've learned in the last couple of weeks that my life/work style will be changing. I have felt so good since my last back surgery that it appears as though I've overdone it. No more driving/sitting and no bending unless I can get this thing figured out. My last dream was to take the wife out trucking and see all the country I used to roam.

I sure hope this thing works out! I wanna see your project.

rjwoelk

Are you coming to agribition, the 28th is the last day. We have had a booth there since 90 I do believe. We started when we had sheep, marketing the meat and the wool products. We will be busy later that day with tear down and hauling everything home.
Who did you drive for? Flatdeck?
Been delayed in the construction due to the rain, around 2 inches past week.

rjwoelk

I was hoping to start on the tf shed this year but the cabin has taken up all the time. So will probably cut the timbers oversize this fall and work on them next spring and summer.

Grizzly

I hadn't thought of Agribition............but that would be another good idea. It's been several years since we took that in.

I drove for quite a few small outfits. Cut my teeth doing grocery delivery in Vancouver but bought my highway truck in '88 and went highway hauling for Scherbinski. He's now one of the high ups in Mullen Group. I was always trying to find work that would allow me to stay at home with the family but kept having to go back on the road for the income. Better income simply because that was where I had experience. Wind River in it's day, Titan Transport, even a small stint for Milewest. I worked within BC for a while doing tractor service and with Aggressive but we moved to the prairies after we got married and I really haven't done a lot of miles in BC since. I always wanted to do heavy haul on the North American area but that never materialized because I wanted to be home. I'm glad I stayed home to be with the family and would rather dream of the highway and have memories with the children. Long answer......

Thank You Sponsors!