iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Condo

Started by Autocar, October 12, 2015, 04:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

My great nephew always wants me to take him deer hunting after frezzing to death last year I told him I was going to build a deer /cabin. So today I pre fabbed a 8 x 16 building on 4x6,s . There will be two bunk beds a wood stove and a rest room. This way I don't have to get up at four we can sleep there and it never fails just at prime deer hunting time nature calls  :D  We may never shot a deer but will have a good time. Timarrow I will cut the rafters and floor joist out, then tear it apart and load it in peaces on my equipment trailer and haul it over to there farm and get it back to the woods.
Bill

clww

Will it be an elevated stand?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WV Sawmiller

Autocar,

How are you building the rest room? Are you installing a chemical toilet or what? I gather this is just a camp not a super fancy deer stand or shooting house. The wood heater makes me think it is for living, not hunting purposes.

Good luck and be careful. Sounds like this could the start of some real fond memories for your g. nephew. I hope so.

This Saturday is Youth deer Hunting day here in WV and I am looking forward to going hunting with my 9 y/o granddaughter. We have a 6X8 shooting house with a feeder in a choice hunting spot about 500 yards from my house that the deer love to frequent so I think she should have some luck. I'm excited for her.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have a ¾" "pee pipe" which goes into a post hole filled with washed rocks at my elevated stands. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Autocar, sounds like great and fun idea. Good luck.  I personally use a 3" pipe ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

edkemper

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 13, 2015, 09:21:51 PM
Good luck.  I personally use a 3" pipe ;) 

We'll, anyone think I should ask the obvious question?   :-\
Old Man

Chuck White

Quote from: edkemper on October 14, 2015, 12:38:17 AM
Good luck.  I personally use a 3" pipe ;) 

We'll, anyone think I should ask the obvious question?   :-\

No!    smiley_ignore
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Autocar, sounds like great and fun idea. Good luck.  I personally use a 3" pipe ;)

Mucho Hombre!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Tomarrow will make day five of this project,today I broke a stick about a 1/8 off a inch and said Benton do you see this little stick Yes well my patience is about half of that stick. Boys now a days can twang me right now. We do have all the metal on the 16 foot runs and the roofs on only thing left is the two ends 8 feet. each. As I look back over my life I now understand why the Lord never blesses us with kids . He new that I would have blasted off to Mars. The restroom is a five gallion bucket half full of sawdust under a chair thats cut out just perfect for me butt ! My arm is about shot driving nails in two year old drying white oak, but I'll drive them uncle Bill well we know how that went I was setting on the launching pad and it was on a count down to the launch but theres light at the end of the tunnel.
Bill

beenthere

Quote from: Autocar on October 16, 2015, 08:20:44 PM
Tomarrow will make day five of this project,today I broke a stick about a 1/8 off a inch and said Benton do you see this little stick Yes well my patience is about half of that stick. Boys now a days can twang me right now. We do have all the metal on the 16 foot runs and the roofs on only thing left is the two ends 8 feet. each. As I look back over my life I now understand why the Lord never blesses us with kids . He new that I would have blasted off to Mars. The restroom is a five gallion bucket half full of sawdust under a chair thats cut out just perfect for me butt ! My arm is about shot driving nails in two year old drying white oak, but I'll drive them uncle Bill well we know how that went I was setting on the launching pad and it was on a count down to the launch but theres light at the end of the tunnel.

I sure didn't follow that very well.
But hope you get to do some deer hunting out of the new cabin..or is it a blind you are building?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Bill, you can't wait to over this project. :D   Benton will likely never forget this experience with you.  Good for you!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

Well it is all done and after working there a while this morning my nefpew went back of the cabin and jumps a doe so maybe it will be a lucky spot for him. He's a good kid from a big city and he did ok as a country boy. It's just uncle Bill dosen't have any patience but over all Iam sure he will remember the experance the rest of his life.
Bill

beenthere

How is the deer condo working out for you two?  Any pics?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

This past week I got the bunk bed made and the restroom done my sister checked it out and told me this evening I had better sandpaper the seat or you might get a splinter. I told her it was banded sawed hardmaple and figured it was smooth enough. As far as hunting youth season comes in the 21and 22 of November. Olny thing missing is a stove sure hope it dosen't turn off to cold  :o.
Bill

Autocar

Youth season came in on Saturday and ended this evening we hiked in Friday evening with our sleeping bags and food. As we started across the corn stubble we saw two does in front of the condo. My keroseane heater wouldn't work right something with the wick, my mom had this heater in the wash room in the early 50's. So sleeping was good till the wind changed out of the east then that tin shed felt like I was camping in a corn crib. Deer snorted off and on during the night I was wondering if we would see anything. Saturday morning came and we never seen a deer as late afternoon started to unfold I old Benton to switch sides I felt the deer would come out on the feild. I told him to watch to the southeast I felt that would be where they would filter out at. But in stead they came from the northwest I could of hit two of the does with a corn cob but he was facing the wrong way and couldn't get turned. So this morning they snorted off and on and again I was wondering if camping back there was a good idea. I had him watching the woods side while I keep a look out over the corn stubble around 8:30 I saw a doe feeding and it was a bit later a few more. So I had him come to my side and set up. Wasn't very long and they feed right down to us and at fifty or so yards he shot the top of the heart off and she ran twenty yards and dropped. Talk about a thrilled kid he was, he wanted every part so I kept the liver and tounge and what was left of the heart I cut the back straps out and dropped the deer at the butcher shop. Iam not sure what the doe weighed but my tounge was hanging out after we dragged her to the truck. It snowed enough last night you could see tracks on the feild but one thing for sure sleeping in a corn crib probably was warmer then our blind. So insulation and plywood lined with a wood stove for next season. I know how to work a wood stove ;D  The bunk bed I built worked perfect except I want to cut off about six or ten inches off the legs I had a tuff time getting into it. My out house worked purfect but the edges of the hole sure need rounded off   :D    Iam sure he will remember this the rest of his life so its a fun exsperance for him.
Bill

beenthere

Good feeling, and great experience. You done good sticking with the boy through the thick and thin....
south central Wisconsin

gspren

Sounds perfect, it's good to have some improvements to talk about for next time.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

. My keroseane heater wouldn't work right something with the wick, my mom had this heater in the wash room in the early 50's./ end quote

Those old wick heaters that have sat for 40 years the wicks dry out .Problem many times is they might have been fueled with diesel instead of kerosene ,it happens .Then if they do light they make a better mosquito fogger than a heater .I have one that did just that .

It might be such a thing that perhaps Laymans in Kidron might have the new wicks. They have a web site now .

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!