iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me determine shape of broken part for sawmill

Started by Jim1934, October 12, 2015, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim1934

Greetings
The boomerang shaped part in the pix labeled B has its end
missing. I need to know the original shape.

Mfg. of sawmill is unknown to me. Many castings numbers end in a J .
The saw work has the ident. SW66. Original paint Red. Many start with an S.

I know this part is supposed to drop into the gear below and reverse the direction of carriage
through an idler gear and a ratchet operated gear.

Later :I just found couple of parts that say "FRICK".
Later yet. This is a C.H. Knight set works. Oct. 15, 2015   

Thanks, Jim in Clarkston, Mi.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Can't help you, but welcome to the Forestttry Forum Jim1934.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Don't know, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Check out page 22 of this pdf.

http://www.fricksawmills.com/pdfs/0&0CMANUALCOMPLETE.pdf

If you find the part number you can go to fricksawmills.com and order a new one....maybe.  I noticed one other pdf for a Frick but didn't check it out.  Another source might be a member who I think goes by the handle of frickman...send him a pm.  Might not be the right handle, you know how it goes when one gets older.

Google is wonderful...once you provided the clue of "Frick" took less than a minute to come up with something.

Welcome to the forum Jim.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jim1934

Thanks Larry,

That drawing is close but no cigar.
I am beginning to think mine is a hybrid and the set works is not a Frick.

With mine, one rotates  the  long 1/2 inch dia. rod with the loop on its end to go in reverse/forward.
The reference you gave me requires operator to move a short handle from left to right
to accomplish fwd./rev. of  feed direction and two long rods are required.

Jim

Frickman

I don't recognize those setworks. If they were mine, and I was determined to revive them, I'd be taking them to Fricko in Ohio. The last time I was there many moons ago they were rebuilding manual setworks for a customer. I've done it by necessity, but not as good as Fricko. My mill has many parts that came from there.

I hate to break this to you Jim. Not all sawmills should be saved. Frick, Farquar, and Meadows handset mills are a dime a dozen, and in terms of dollars and cents some should not be saved. It is a great project that I enjoy doing, but in financial terms it is cheaper to buy another one than save a wreck. It is not like it is a 57 Chevy or a 64 1/2 Mustang that aren't made anymore, Fricko will sell you a new one today, and build you anything you want. I have dug a lot of old wrecks out of the weeds and hauled them straight to the scrap yard, and never gave it a second thought. Those setworks look like they may be a hybrid. I have run Frick and Farquar mills all my life and have learned that many parts interchange. Occasionally you can make a Meadows part work too.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

bandmiller2

Jim, a lot of the old mills are of very local manufacture, seems years ago every foundry produced a sawmill. Your best bet is to locate local mills, chances are you will find its twin or hopefully a junker you can pull the part off. If not find another setworks and convert. Many mills you can use the feed lever to set back the head blocks by twisting the '' D" and pimping it back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim1934

Hi-Son found a dwg. on Google that gave a patent number.
That number, 00806349, gave us the attached drawing.
So we know it is a "Knight" set works. Broken part is the long arced part shaped like part of an internal
spur gear. Have not figured out how 32 differs  from 28.

Doubt if patent dwg. is the same as the finished product.
So I would appreciate a final dwg. if one is out there.
Not an easy part to fabricate. Will give that a lot of thought.
Might end up with a hand crank on the output of the main output shaft!.

Thanks to all. Jim

Thank You Sponsors!